FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What windows do you think is the best

lifeplaysu420
windows 7 for the win, whats your take on what windows better?
chartcentral
Currently, it's Windows 7. Windows XP and Windows 98 were also the best of their time. Smile
cybersa
In my choice.
Windows XP

I like Windows Xp than Windows 7.
Uisdean
Well I think Windows XP is the best than any other windows operating system because of good graphics and better security .
weableandbob
It's a toss-up between XP and 7 for me. I'm using XP right now, but I'm planning on upgrading to 7 soon because of upcoming games not supporting DirectX 9. They both have their benefits, though.
badai
to be fair to all Windows i will have to give my opinion according to timeline.

before 1994: do not use Windows
1994-1996: there is only Windows 3.1. do not know about other windows (other Windows exist though)
1996-1998: Windows 95 is better than 3.1
1998-2002: Windows 98 is the best ever.
2002-2009: XP is way better than 98
2009-present: Windows 7. finally a Windows that you don't have to format every 6 months.

so, the better question/poll should be: What's the worst Windows ever? VISTA!!!!!

maybe the only time you can legitimately ask which windows is better is during Vista period. otherwise you will only get the latest windows as the best.
Bluedoll
badai wrote:
1994-1996: there is only Windows 3.1. do not know about other windows (other Windows exist though)
Ok, I will be brave and take the criticism if it comes my way. Dancing

What is the criteria for best?

3.1 is best because there is not much around to equal it (except apple that is using windows only it is not called mswindows, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!)

3.1 is best because it never crashes (has not been evented yet!)

3.1 is best because it works without tweaking or updating, it just works

3.1 is best because it is interesting (no one knows what windows is or does in 1996)

3.1 is best because it is my first computer and the term pc is a new term

3.1 is best because it is in a time when pong was fun
badai
it can crash. don't remember the error message, something about VXD. it will kick you back to DOS when you click OK. then you have to type win again. all your work (ms word 6, excel, etc) is lost. usually happen with particular program, running DOS program via windows or particular hardware (scanner or printer)

i did customize it, using center point software. became like windows 95.

there was one program in center point called file viewer. when you open any file it didn't look at the file extension to determine its type, but read their "binary signatures". so if you rename pron.pcx to work.doc, it will display the image instead of display it as text like modern application that rely on file extension.

really useful when using it with file recovery program. the closest program that i can find now is TrID. but it only show the file type instead of displaying its content.

Bluedoll wrote:
badai wrote:
Ok, I will be brave and take the criticism if it comes my way. Dancing

What is the criteria for best?

3.1 is best because there is not much around to equal it (except apple that is using windows only it is not called mswindows, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!)

3.1 is best because it never crashes (has not been evented yet!)

3.1 is best because it works without tweaking or updating, it just works

3.1 is best because it is interesting (no one knows what windows is or does in 1996)

3.1 is best because it is my first computer and the term pc is a new term

3.1 is best because it is in a time when pong was fun
menino
I <3 windows XP sp2.
But windows 7 seems to run better on the newer machines.

For windows XP users, I would recommend to try the Windows 7 Starter edition, for testing, before going to windows 7 home even.
The starter edition has the main core engine, and you will get to see its performance on your current machine based on that. I guess you could build up on that later on, with add-ons and gadgets, etc.

Currently, I'm using windows 7, and its ok, not too bad.
Asap170
I think I have to go with Windows 7, but that's only because of all it can do Windows 98 was beastly. Got one of those systems laying around somewhere...
Ankhanu
menino wrote:
For windows XP users, I would recommend to try the Windows 7 Starter edition, for testing, before going to windows 7 home even.

Seriously? I wouldn't recommend Win7 Starter to anyone for any reason. It's utterly terrible. It's not informative of how Win7 works at all. It tells you what Win7 looks like, sure, but a screenshot posted to a website will tell you that too, without ever having to install the "OS" Razz
ankur209
For me...Windows 7 is far far better till now !!
deanhills
cybersa wrote:
In my choice.
Windows XP

I like Windows Xp than Windows 7.
I learned today that with Windows 7 (Professional I think it is) you can run Windows XP in Windows 7, so you can have the best of both. Only drawback for me right now is that I would have to completely overhaul my hardware. I'm still happy with Windows XP. I see much more improvement and bells and whistles with Windows 7 but not enough for me to go the long haul for changing my hardware and software to install it. I get this sneaky feeling as well, that Windows 8 may be around just when I am almost ready to install Windows 7. Windows 8 may be an enormous improvement over all of the Operating Software winners.
TrueFact
I started with Win95 and still using its startup sound on Win7 Smile

Win95 was good and it took me to long to switch to Win98 because of the hard drive compression ability that Win95 had but never found it on Win98. (At that time, I had 1.25 GB HDD and using Win95, I could compress it to be twice as large).

Win98 was better in the end and used it for 3 years. Then I bought WinME but I switched back to Win98 which was more stable. Then XP came out around mid 2002 if I remember it right, and it was ideal at first.

XP was full of crab and every 16yr old kid could make a virus/trojan and the OS crashed very often even if you are a basic user with a very limited set of applications/software. Then things went even worse with pre-configured/tweaked versions of Windows XP which drove most advanced users to the OEM CDs they had. Having XP around for too long made people tweak it more and more, made more threats and gave us too much updates and 3 Service Packs.

I expected Long Horn to be a major advance but the beta was a major setback and a total failure. Then Vista came out to prove it all even though it took a relatively long time between the Beta Longhorn and the official Vista.

Soon after releasing Vista, Microsoft could save itself with Windows 7 which is more stable with an improved GUI with basic protection against usual viruses and trojans. I think the overall security of Win7 is much better than XP, more stable and easier to backup and restore.

I agree that every version of Windows was the best at its time except for WinME and Vista! Both of them were major failure and a disgrace to Microsoft since day one of releasing them.
GoldenEagle
I really like Windows 7. It has a nice style and the ability to panel the windows easily is really good for developers and people working on projects. It's so easy to compare references to what you're working on or watch a program while you work on coding. It makes things a lot easier and bit more enjoyable.
weltkarte
For me it is XP. It is fast. That is the first thing a operating system should be! I guess VISTA is the worst and after that I left the Windows-World what was a good decision!
portoskt
7 is far too best guys, without any doubts
sark
Wake up guys, the best Windows doesn't exist. Razz
Nameless
Stained glass windows. Some churchs have really nice designs!

What do I win?
igennie
Currently, it's Windows 7 and Windows XP is a one of the best operating system now.
metalfreek
Previously it was Windows XP now its Windows 7 for me. Vista was a crap. I hope windows 8 will be even better. Desperately waiting for Windows 8. Very Happy
socials
Windows 7 is the best operating system that I had ever used, I used windows xp, vista before,b ut windows 7 is faster than all the other versions. Also rumors of windows 8 coming up is great, because windows 7 is not perfect, but is enough for me Smile
socials
Windows 7 is the best operating system that I had ever used, I used windows xp, vista before,b ut windows 7 is faster than all the other versions. Also rumors of windows 8 coming up is great, because windows 7 is not perfect, but is enough for me Smile