FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What things are bad to eat?

chasbeen
I did once like to eat a lot of chalk but got told to either stop or cut down by my doctor.
I still tend to swallow my toothpaste and wash it down with a half cup of mouthwash.

Have you got any unusual eating habits, I'm afraid I am quite ordinary in this subject, so it would be interesting to hear yours.
Nameless
First thought after reading topic title: poop.
First thought after actually reading topic: not poop! Not poop! Shocked
Ankhanu
Nameless wrote:

Thank you for making me actually LOL Razz
deanhills
This was when I was a kid. I used to like the ends of match sticks. I must have been needing the sulphur in it? Very Happy I also liked cigarette ash.
sudipbanerjee
In my childhood days I like to eat: chalk and toothpaste.
In my college days I have ahabit to keep any object in mouth. One day I keep a safety pin and accidentally it goes to my stomach; i.e, I can say that I have ate Safety pin.
cybersa
I like to eat toothpaste in my childhood days.
Because it contain some sweet taste.
chasbeen
Cub
Eating the tooth paste and drinking mouthwash.
Spitting it out is such a waste!
This way you have lovely fresh breath an just think about the way it cleans out the system.
eday2010
Things that are bad to eat: paint, steelwool, glass, rat poison, plastic, lead, mercury, bones, ceramic, lava, carpet, sand, ink, wood, stones/pebbles, rotten fish, rotten meat (rotten anything), rubber, condoms, HIV-infected items, cans, shingles, charcoal, dirt, diapers, cat litter, vinyl, rubber bands... I could go on and on.
Greatking
frozen foods, especially those kept in the freezer for ages.
oily foods - foods cooked with too much oil.
fatty goods
canned foods
fertilized foods - foods grown with fertilizer. God gave us natural ways of planting foods and eating them fresh, but because we want the grown fast we grow them with fertilizer.
Navigator
chasbeen wrote:
Cub
Eating the tooth paste and drinking mouthwash.
Spitting it out is such a waste!
This way you have lovely fresh breath an just think about the way it cleans out the system.

Perhaps you should check the dangers of flouride.
LittleBlackKitten
I like chewing on plastic water bottle lids, poking holes in them with my teeth, but not EATING them. I figure it burns extra calories doing it that way. Laughing
ocalhoun
Greatking wrote:

fertilized foods - foods grown with fertilizer. God gave us natural ways of planting foods and eating them fresh, but because we want the grown fast we grow them with fertilizer.

Not sure you've thought your cunning plan all the way through there...
If fertilizer use is abandoned, what will you do when half the world is starving?

Also, there's nothing particularly bad about canned foods in general.
Frozen foods (that haven't been frozen for too long) aren't quite as good as fresh, but they're still fine for eating.

Even fatty or oily foods can be good for you, if they contain the right types of fats and oils and if you eat them sparingly.

@ everybody else:
WTF? Why do you eat these things?
standready
Nameless wrote:

Thanks for the laugh!

I never have had any unusual eating habits.
Cheeldash
When i was a kid i liked to eat stick glue. It was very good Laughing
ProfessorY91
I have somehow acquired a peculiar affinity for paper. Honestly, I don't really know how it started but my best suspicions are in the following anecdotal recollection. Yes, I am trying to make my response as shamelessly lengthy as possible. Anyhow, there was me in grade school, bored out of my mind at the prospect of actually learning stuff. There were also girls in the class (this is related). Boys and girls tend to fight. Boys tend to lose because girls are supremely good at looking down their noses at us. Hence, the discovery of the spitball machine. The spitball machine consists of the hollow midsection of a disassembled pencil. A wad of wide-ruled notebook paper, thoroughly chewed and partially digested is used as ammunition. The spitball must be of the right size, not too much paper, and not too little. Through the process of forced exhalation, a spitball is ejected across the room and buried in some poor sod's hair - or even less fortunate, it splats on their face or cheek. And the boys win because of sheer unabashed disgustfulness. Very Happy
Bluedoll
deanhills wrote:
This was when I was a kid. I used to like the ends of match sticks. I must have been needing the sulphur in it? Very Happy I also liked cigarette ash.
I agree.
I could see how eating up fire producing products could be dangerous. With age does come wisdom however, thank God for that!
Bikerman
Age dioesnt bring wisdom. Study, empathy and experience bring wisdom. Many old folk have little wisdom.
As for thanking God for it - since God could have made old-age much less of a bother, failing eyes and ears, the ever present chance of dementia striking, pains and aches constantly .... I think that God has got some explanaing to do, and rather than thank him/her/it, I would like to have a strong word in his/her/uts earole about being a sloppy and inconsiderate designer and generally not making a very good fist of this whole assignment....
I seem to remember that God is already on the final written warning stae of the disciplinary committee set up by the Steering Comittee Undermining Mischeif at last weeks meeting. God received a verbal warning for sexism in his first week on the job. That was followed by a final verbal warning for that mischieve with the old prop from under the stage - the tree of knowledge.
He got a first written warning for killing minors, in the Soddam and Gomorrah mix-up. Lott was NOT happy, I can tell you. Kept mumbling about not needing a big bed anymore and buying some extra large salt-cellars instead....dunno what he meant....
And I think God got his final written for all that mess over the flood. Can't have him killing everyone without at least making an official complaint, otherwise where does your free-will get you, I ask yoiu?

Next time he buggers things up he is out on his earole. Thor has been wondering about a chance oif a job...and he didn't do badly last time...maybe his time has come.......
mahirh
ocalhoun wrote:

Not sure you've thought your cunning plan all the way through there...
If fertilizer use is abandoned, what will you do when half the world is starving?

if you ban fertilizer , world will get rid of droughts (fertilizer are indirectly causing droughts) , soil infertility and much more other things
Bikerman
Show me your evidence that use of nitrates and other fertilisers is altering the water distribution and precipitation rates?
Whilst you are at it, explain how putting less nutrient into soil makes it richer? That seems counter-intuitive to me. Plants use nitrates, nitrites, phosphates and other chemicals in normal growth. Fertlisier puts it back after harvest. The alternative would be crop-rotation or other organic methods, massively reducing the amount of food produced in the world, when we barely produce enough now..
Utopia GFR
My unusual eating habits would be more related to late night eating or snacking, around 11 PM (or more) every day Sad

If you feel like putting an end to that habit, you might get interesting information here :
http://www.dietforum.com/late-night-eating.htm

When I was younger, I used to eat chalk and toothpaste (the taste reminded me of Chlorophyll chewing-gum).

I had an interesting conversation earlier this afternoon about the harmful health effects of junk food but that's a little bit off topic Razz

chasbeen wrote:
I did once like to eat a lot of chalk but got told to either stop or cut down by my doctor.
I still tend to swallow my toothpaste and wash it down with a half cup of mouthwash.

Have you got any unusual eating habits, I'm afraid I am quite ordinary in this subject, so it would be interesting to hear yours.
wbala4
I use to eat viboodhi but stopped now...
Bluedoll
wbala4 wrote:
I use to eat viboodhi but stopped now...
What is viboodhi?

If anyone is considering fertilizer, I would go with organic fertilizers over chemical fertilizers. The pros and cons you can read about in this article.

http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/chemical-fertilizer.html

An important consideration is that chemical solutions are short term solutions and can have negative effects on soil balance and not just positive or negative effects on crops.

The elderly people (though some troll I mean drool Laughing ) that have studied and use empathy and experience can and do bring their wisdom to our attention on important issues. I will continue to thank God for that.
IceCreamTruck
Bikerman wrote:
Next time he buggers things up he is out on his earole. Thor has been wondering about a chance oif a job...and he didn't do badly last time...maybe his time has come.......

Let it never be said that you aren't a creative individual... I love it! Smile

PS. All hail Thor! Yay!
spinout
you can't eat glass??? no that's wrong they did it on telly...

hm, you can't eat stones... no also did on telly...

Hm, tricky one, you can't eat human flesh - no cannibals exist...

errh... you can't eat dog-shit!!!! erhh, no a Swedish comedian did that on telly in the 70s, he is now dead. Not by shit but his house was on fire.

You can't eat poison - well you can eat it, but later dies...

Thinking thinking yes I got it you can't eat a whale whole!!! Laughing
Bluedoll
spinout wrote:
errh... you can't eat dog-shit!!!! erhh, no a Swedish comedian did that on telly in the 70s, he is now dead. Not by shit but his house was on fire.

You can't eat poison - well you can eat it, but later dies...
Perhaps not the best choice but is abundant in some communities.
IceCreamTruck
spinout wrote:
Thinking thinking yes I got it you can't eat a whale whole!!! Laughing

If you eat the whole wale then your meal is free! Smile
chasbeen
Challenge eat your knife and fork and leave the food.
Warning: Don't do this in public but make sure you carry out the sensible safety precautions b4 doing this.
Clue:Always seek medical advice b4 proceeding on advice of others!
airh3ad
Love eating street food. We try to sample as much as we can, even when at home.Billions of people around the world eat street food, but in North America our over santized culture has been taught that its bad to eat street food. It can be a very polarizing topic as some travelers are afraid that it is dirty, food that will make them sick and others see it as a badge of authenticity.but im not afraid to eat those street foods.
deanhills
airh3ad wrote:
Love eating street food. We try to sample as much as we can, even when at home.Billions of people around the world eat street food, but in North America our over santized culture has been taught that its bad to eat street food. It can be a very polarizing topic as some travelers are afraid that it is dirty, food that will make them sick and others see it as a badge of authenticity.but im not afraid to eat those street foods.
I'm one of those concerned about street food being bad for a person. Particularly in heavily populated areas, as people exchange bacteria that don't necessarily have to be in the food we eat. It can come from the air we exhale or touching hands while we are exchanging the food. I'm certain however that if you have a very healthy immune system you would be OK, but perhaps not all people are that lucky, so quite often one would find people who contract serious debilitating illnesses from these foods. Particularly when they come from total different environments such as the West, and then eat these foods in the East. Their immune systems may not be adapted to bacteria of the different country. My uncle for example was seriously ill for a year. He had been working for Bechtel Construction in India, and after eating street food became seriously ill, had to be flown back to the States and was in Hospital on and off and on sick leave for almost a year.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
airh3ad wrote:
I'm one of those concerned about street food being bad for a person. Particularly in heavily populated areas, as people exchange bacteria that don't necessarily have to be in the food we eat. It can come from the air we exhale or touching hands while we are exchanging the food. I'm certain however that if you have a very healthy immune system you would be OK, but perhaps not all people are that lucky, so quite often one would find people who contract serious debilitating illnesses from these foods. Particularly when they come from total different environments such as the West, and then eat these foods in the East. Their immune systems may not be adapted to bacteria of the different country. My uncle for example was seriously ill for a year. He had been working for Bechtel Construction in India, and after eating street food became seriously ill, had to be flown back to the States and was in Hospital on and off and on sick leave for almost a year.

Especially if it's food made with local water, which it usually is. Unless you boil all water first, then non-local people can get horribly sick. Usually along the lines of amoebic dysentery which can leave a person hazardously dehydrated.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Especially if it's food made with local water, which it usually is. Unless you boil all water first, then non-local people can get horribly sick. Usually along the lines of amoebic dysentery which can leave a person hazardously dehydrated.
That sounds pretty much what my uncle must have had. I knew the water was a problem, but somehow did not tie it up with the food. Good point! Very Happy
nigam
in my chilhood days, i tried eating chalk, biting new slippers all the time.
about the street foods, i love to eat those especially tempura on the sticks with ginger and spicy sauce...