FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Replacement for Microsoft Word for some tasks

Da Rossa
Hi
Please someone tell me a good program to replace Microsoft Word (2010 is my version) so I can type my classes with the proper formatting tools, I mean, beign able to make the text italic, bold, to underline, to make a bullet and numbered list, to change the font size and face.... anyway, a word processor, not a plain text editor. With one observation:

It cannot leave junk html data when transported to a webpage or blog post. That's because I need to type precise content and don't have time to manually format HTML. Also, using a WYSIWYG HTML editor directly is out of question because it has typing delay, and I use AutoHotKey, a program to expand abbreviations.

Open Office is not doing the job either. Wordpress experts advise not to paste a text directly from MS Word to the posting area or the html will be populated with nasty html.

What should I use?

Smile
SultanMA
There is a freeware and the most power one of word replacements.

It's Open Office.
LostOverThere
SultanMA wrote:
There is a freeware and the most power one of word replacements.

It's Open Office.

Actually, I'd recommend using Libre Office instead of Open Office. Libre Office is a fork of OpenOffice, and where all the developers moved to recently (due to massive problems with Oracle). Unlike OpenOffice, Libre Office is developing increasingly quickly.

So yes, to answer Da Rossa's question, use Libre Office. Smile
silverdown
I been meaning to try "Libre Office", just never got around to it, alot of friends recommended it. Just need to stop being lazy and download it Laughing
weableandbob
Yeah, I've been using Open Office for years now, but I've been told that Libre Office is a bit better. It's pretty much Open Office but improved slightly (such as faster loading times).
LostOverThere
weableandbob wrote:
Yeah, I've been using Open Office for years now, but I've been told that Libre Office is a bit better. It's pretty much Open Office but improved slightly (such as faster loading times).

Indeed! It's a fork of OOo and where (pretty much) all the developers have moved to. Surprisingly, it's also developing quite quickly too. Smile
Da Rossa
Are you sure LO is the exact solution for this? The problem is that every word processor is not a plain text editor by nature then it will leave the junk html code inside the document.
mikelll
Corel Word Perfect
Peterssidan
Da Rossa wrote:
Are you sure LO is the exact solution for this? The problem is that every word processor is not a plain text editor by nature then it will leave the junk html code inside the document.

I don't know what you consider junk. I thought you didn't want a plain text editor. LibreOffice can generate html pages. I made a quick test and it looks like the page don't look exactly the same as inside LibreOffice but that is not so surprising. It works but some spacing and stuff is a little different.
Da Rossa
Look:
Code:
<ol>
<li><span style=""></span>Quando
há identidade de sexos;<o:p></o:p></li>
<li><span style=""></span>Falta
de celebração;<o:p></o:p></li>
<li><span style=""></span>Ausência
de consentimento.<o:p></o:p></li>

span, o:p and so on are junk Razz
portoskt
open office is enough for every user
Peterssidan
portoskt wrote:
open office is enough for every user

When I read that I get the impression you haven't read more than the title. Do you ever do that? Da Rossa wants to generate html, and I doubt everybody is pleased with OpenOffice for making webpages.

Da Rossa, I think all heavy programs like Word, LibreOffice, etc. will generate unnecessary html. It kind of have to if it wants to keep the formating intact. There is a problem if you want to take a small part of html and paste it inside a blog page. How is it supposed to know what formating information you need? If it have to keep the look 100% intact it has to generate huge amount of html to make sure it stays correct on every browser, and on every surrounding css setup. I don't think any of these generate this amount of html but that means the look is not 100% what you see when you type. What information to include is likely not exactly what you want. There might be other tools that work more like you want.

I'm glad I don't use visual html editors
Da Rossa
I see, but my work consists on typing classes as I watch really fast and ending up with a .docx formatted text file. I think I need the processing power of Microsoft Word to format the document because I take advantage of Word's nice spelling and grammar feature, plus the typo auto-correct. Also, there is almost no typing delay in Word. On the other hand, typing directly into a blog 'new post' page will have three drawbacks which I can't help: no spellcheck and typo corrector, typing delay and difficulty to save the file every 20 seconds.
Da Rossa
Up: anyone? I would really like a solution...
deanhills
I'm doing OK with Microsoft Expression Web. Although am now in the process of learning HTML5 and CSS and am already more comfortable with using Notepad++ together with Mozilla Firefox 7.1 as a browser for the pages.

But for the purpose that you explained, Microsoft Expression Web has almost no learning curve. You could even use FrontPage - the older generation of Microsoft Expression Web - and just upload the typed pages to the Website by publishing it directly from Microsoft Expression Web.
Da Rossa
Frontpage??? It's like opting to ride a charriot instead of a 2011 car. It's standards-non-compliant and very limited. For that I use NVU/KompoZer, but it has its limitations too.

Microsoft Expression Web has the problem of the typing delay, and, when in class, I type everything, I said everyhing (ok, 98-99%) of what the teachers say. So typing delay is unacceptable. MEW has this problem because it has to write the html code on the fly. Happens with all dual-view html editors (code and WYSIWYG).

That's why I need Microsoft Word, which has no delay and is very powerful to correct the spelling. And this is significant because I incur in a lot of typos while copying the class. The drawback is the junk html code Word generates when you past directly to a WYSIWYG editor. When you get to see the generated html, you realise that more than 50% of the characters are codes instead of content. If not more.

So what I need is: (don't know if it exists): a rich text editor with no typing delay that also doesn't clutter with html gibberish.

Do you get the general idea? I wish I could paste the text after edited in Word into a WordPress 'new post' field to create a post, but people don't recommend it.
marygrace
Why would that they are going to replace that microsoft word? I just thought that everything makes sense now and I do love doing it that way then. It's going to be one of the best. word 2010 training
johans
Microsoft office 2010 is getting better now... you should try that.. Very Happy
Da Rossa
The problem is, being Microsoft Word a text processing software like it is, it is not meant for plain text editing, so it leaves junk when you take your text to be pasted onto a WYSIWYG html editor.
gheba
Libre office?? that's a nice discovery, I never heard of it. Thanks!
Da Rossa
@ Peterssidan

Quote:
Da Rossa, I think all heavy programs like Word, LibreOffice, etc. will generate unnecessary html. It kind of have to if it wants to keep the formating intact. There is a problem if you want to take a small part of html and paste it inside a blog page. How is it supposed to know what formating information you need? If it have to keep the look 100% intact it has to generate huge amount of html to make sure it stays correct on every browser, and on every surrounding css setup. I don't think any of these generate this amount of html but that means the look is not 100% what you see when you type. What information to include is likely not exactly what you want. There might be other tools that work more like you want.

Sorry, I overlooked your post.
I think I got a solution for my needs for now. As long as I don't go to the WordPress world, or Blogger or any other blogging or CMS service, meaning that I only take my docx documents from Word and make html for them, I'm satisfied: I created some hotkeys on AutoHotKey to have parts of the .docx document enclosed by common html tags, such as <i> and <b>. Then I can do the spellchecking normally, and only them I paste into a plain text editor, such as Notepad++, inside a html template, so I can generate a .html web page.

I only had to create a few macros to use on Notepad++, but it's ok.

Too bad I'm thinking about going to WordPress or Joomla to make things more powerful on my site, when I guess I'll have to paste a docx text directly, generating the undesired html junk. But I think I can circumvent that in the future Very Happy
dude_xyx
Have you tried Google Docs ? I'm not sure if Google Docs is the best tool for your need but it's easy to use and have most of MS Word features.
silverdown
Gnome office is kinda cool
Da Rossa
dude_xyx wrote:
Have you tried Google Docs ? I'm not sure if Google Docs is the best tool for your need but it's easy to use and have most of MS Word features.

Google Docs is an online tool. Needs conectivity and has typing delay. Unacceptable Sad
deanhills
Have you tried LostOverThere's recommendation for LibreOffice. I've heard good things about the software as well. Maybe I should try it as well.
http://www.libreoffice.org/
Da Rossa
Please someone save me the hassle of installing it to try and tell me: what's the difference between Libre and OpenOffice?
johans
open office is the most convenient of all open source when it comes to documentations and computations...