FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu 11.04

chartcentral
Just had a fresh installation of Ubuntu 11.04. Can't say anything about the new desktop environment as my hardware specifications did not meet the requirements for Unity. At the moment, I'm trying to increase my monitor's resolution as it is stuck at 800 x 600.

My previous Ubuntu 10.10 was at 1024 x 768, now if only I could remember how I configured that. Hehe. Smile
menino
Apart from the resolution problem, any other notable improvements in the OS?
Is the performance better / faster?
kitsrock
I've heard people say that 11.04 interface seems a bit awkward and that they like 10.04 LTS interface better.

I, for one, only tend to use LTS versions for reasons of stability and laziness (I like to just wipe everything and do a fresh install with LTS every 2 years)

My next install would be 12.04 LTS Very Happy
chartcentral
Finally able to get the resolution to 1024 x 768 after following this guide.

Good: The switch from OpenOffice.org to LibreOffice.
Neutral: Weather is now separated from the Clock application.
Bad: No customization for the Weather location (now, I couldn't specify the specific coordinates for my area).

menino wrote:
Apart from the resolution problem, any other notable improvements in the OS?
Is the performance better / faster?

With regards to performance, I am yet to give a fair assessment since I just started using it. But as it is now, I'd say it's faster, or at least as fast as Ubuntu 10.10.
metalfreek
I have heard that 11.04 has a massive interface changes? How massive is that. I am running 10.04 LTS now I would like to switch but I also tend to use LTS versions only because they tend to be more stable than others.
Fire Boar
If you're after stability, don't go for the regular ubuntu 11.04. Kubuntu is better if you really want to go 11.04. The new interface is known as Unity, and it's just not quite polished enough yet. There are missing features, things that ought to work that don't, etc. That said, Unity is a lot more stable now than it was back when it was on Ubuntu Netbook Remix.
chartcentral
And Ubuntu 11.04 has frozen on me for more than a couple of times already. Twice, while on Skype and once while using Banshee. Smile
mahirh
installer has become terrible , they are standing at two extremes - options for extreme newbies and an option for the tech savvy , very confusing for people who want to specify their own partitions . And as another user mentioned , very unstable , it crashed 17 times today for me. never use in production computers,however , i am pleased that they decided not to give too much value for the color purple atleast in the themes , 9.10 was much much better if you compare it with this
LostOverThere
Fire Boar wrote:
If you're after stability, don't go for the regular ubuntu 11.04. Kubuntu is better if you really want to go 11.04. The new interface is known as Unity, and it's just not quite polished enough yet. There are missing features, things that ought to work that don't, etc. That said, Unity is a lot more stable now than it was back when it was on Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

Absolutely, Unity, while not short of design problems, is a great achievement considering the amount of work they did in the last 6 months (pretty much re-write the entire thing using Compiz instead of Mutter, and so forth).
flamepjlh
Quote:
"Just had a fresh installation of Ubuntu 11.04. Can't say anything about the new desktop environment as my hardware specifications did not meet the requirements for Unity. At the moment, I'm trying to increase my monitor's resolution as it is stuck at 800 x 600.

My previous Ubuntu 10.10 was at 1024 x 768, now if only I could remember how I configured that. Hehe. Smile"

=============================================

Unity Sucks!

GNOME or KDE, any would be better than that!!!!

I can't imagine why Canonical replace it.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Added quote tags. -ocalhoun
chartcentral
I like this Gbrainy game on Ubuntu. It tests your brain through logic puzzles, mental calculations, memory trainers and verbal analogies. Smile
nepalstar
Where can I get installation CDs of Live CDs of Ubuntu 11.04, I wanna try this new version of Ubuntu...! any suggestion where can I get and how to install...?
Thanks
therimalaya
Guys, I've just installed Ubuntu 11.04, first it didn't play any of my songs in mp3, but later when i downloaded the update files that get fixed.. But still, i have one problem, The display of my screen is 800x600. When i went to System>>Preferences>>Monitors it shows the message MONIOTR:UNKNOWN and i can not able to change to any higher resolution (It didn't have any option). Surfing the INTERNET they suggest me to edit xorg.conf file but when i open it with text editor it was read-only and i could not change this either. I just stuck on the same resolution 800x600. Somebody, please help me.
chartcentral
therimalaya, what motherboard and graphics card are you using? Smile
therimalaya
chartcentral wrote:
therimalaya, what motherboard and graphics card are you using? Smile

It is Intel D845GVFN. I don't have external graphic card, it is the one integrated on the board. I think that would be enough just to have display of resolution 1024 x 768.

Thanks for your response
chartcentral
therimalaya, did you try this guide already (as posted previously)? I had the same problem before, that one helped me solve it. Smile
therimalaya
I tried a lot of stuffs but i end nowhere. When i changed the xorg.conf file it even didn't give me a display so that i had to replace it with generic one. I think I will have to stuck on the same resolution or abandon Linux (just in a first try)..
ahnguye5
therimalaya wrote:
I tried a lot of stuffs but i end nowhere. When i changed the xorg.conf file it even didn't give me a display so that i had to replace it with generic one. I think I will have to stuck on the same resolution or abandon Linux (just in a first try)..

After installing Ubuntu on my laptop, I had to enable an additional proprietary driver for NVIDIA graphics. Check to see if there are any additional drivers that you can enable. For Ubuntu 11.04, click the power button at the top right, choose System Settings, and you should see a shortcut named "Additional Drivers".
therimalaya
ahnguye5 wrote:
therimalaya wrote:

After installing Ubuntu on my laptop, I had to enable an additional proprietary driver for NVIDIA graphics. Check to see if there are any additional drivers that you can enable. For Ubuntu 11.04, click the power button at the top right, choose System Settings, and you should see a shortcut named "Additional Drivers".

I've done that already, but in there are nothing listed.
LostOverThere
flamepjlh wrote:
Unity Sucks!

GNOME or KDE, any would be better than that!!!!

I can't imagine why Canonical replace it.

Oh dear. Unity requires Gnome to run as it's built on it. You can't have Unity without Gnome. Currently, Unity is built on Gnome 2, however 11.10 will utilise Gnome 3.

Personally, while Unity has many, many problems, I feel that it's a positive change and one that will hopefully get better in releases to come.
ProwerBot
Honestly I think Ubuntu 10 builds were a lot better than 11 builds. I have ubuntu studio which is a creative media flavour of ubuntu, and it was super speedy on a amd athlon 64 with 512mb of ram. Then I updated to ubuntu 11.04 I think, and it ran like crapola. Ugh.
loonix
I used to use Ubuntu a lot. Glad you got your screen resolution fixed. I must say, I recently switched to openSUSE 11.4 and all I can say is its impressive =)

Good luck on your Linux journey.

Regarding finding and installing a Linux distro. I use Unetbootin to install whatever distro takes my fancy. Downloads for Linux are not hard too find Wink
Asap170
I upgraded my Ubuntu server from 10.10 to 11.04 and it screwed me over really bad. It took me about literally 24 hours of working on it to get it running fully. Unity does suck I like Gnome. I believe Ubuntu is actually getting less open source now. Sooner or later they are going to make you pay for Ubuntu probably.
cybersa
Going to Install Ubuntu on my PC soon.
Is worth to install Ubuntu or anyother?
loonix
Most Linux distros allow you to boot from a live CD/DVD. Personally I use Unetbootin to run live images from a USB memory stick. Its very easy to use and allows you to pla around with a distro before you decide to install it.
Asap170
cybersa wrote:

I personally would stick with 10.10. 11.04 still has bugs in it and Unity (new GUI) isn't working to well. But you can change it to Gnome IF you can get it to boot.
cybersa
Asap170 wrote:
cybersa wrote:

I personally would stick with 10.10. 11.04 still has bugs in it and Unity (new GUI) isn't working to well. But you can change it to Gnome IF you can get it to boot.

Thanks for your information.
Anyother small distro for my USB?
Asap170
DSL would fit on your flash drive. It depends on the size of your flash drive. Most Linux images are 700Meg at the maximum.
cybersa
I have 4Gb pen drive with 1.5 GB free.
I want to install a linux on my pendrive.
I think Ubuntu will take long time to load.
So if Linux Distro is less than 500MB means it load fast on my pendrive.
weltkarte
I am disappointed with 11.04. due to several reason:

- Upgrade: It went totally wrong, my screen was only black and several apps didnt work (e.g. Skype). After I made a new installation - lucky me I had an update!! - I went more or less

- Unity: I do not understand why they put this on their distribution! I do not need all those gimmicks! I want to work with my linux PC. Therefore I need a fast system. Cool stuff should come from programs I choose not the operations system. As long as possible I work with Gnome 2 or, to have it even faster, with LXDE.

I hope they listen to their user and the 11.10 version will improve.....
nepalstar
I'm downloading Ubuntu 11.04 from http://www.ubuntu.com/ but I'm facing slow download speed? is there any good mirror site from where I can download Ubuntu Live CD...?
mahirh
nepalstar wrote:
I'm downloading Ubuntu 11.04 from http://www.ubuntu.com/ but I'm facing slow download speed? is there any good mirror site from where I can download Ubuntu Live CD...?

try the mirror for your country then
LostOverThere wrote:
Oh dear. Unity requires Gnome to run as it's built on it

but gnome doesn't require unity.
nepalstar
nepalstar wrote:
Where can I get installation CDs of Live CDs of Ubuntu 11.04, I wanna try this new version of Ubuntu...! any suggestion where can I get and how to install...?
Thanks

I downloaded that from http://ubuntu.com I'm just gonna try with its live Cd...!
LostOverThere
mahirh wrote:

LostOverThere wrote:
Oh dear. Unity requires Gnome to run as it's built on it

but gnome doesn't require unity.

Of course, Unity is merely a compiz plugin that sits on top of Gnome.
jilbs
i've installed ubuntu 11.04 on my Viao and it took me a hard time installing the Nvidia 310M driver for my Video card.

The Gui Crashed thrice after few wrong tweaks on compiz but other than that, all is well. The only thing i hate about is im not used with the Unity theme. im downgrading the to Standard Gnome GUI.
xSteam
Oh =(
I was finally going to give Ubuntu a try... Should I wait for a new version?
nepalstar
This version of Ubuntu does not support sound driver in my computer but that's run fine in my laptop but getting sound problem in my office computer, I'm trying to find out the problem but till now I'm unable to solve the problem. What may be the problem plz suggest me the possible solutions..!
LostOverThere
nepalstar wrote:
This version of Ubuntu does not support sound driver in my computer but that's run fine in my laptop but getting sound problem in my office computer, I'm trying to find out the problem but till now I'm unable to solve the problem. What may be the problem plz suggest me the possible solutions..!

That's very peculiar indeed. While I don't have any suggestions, may I recommend asking at the Ubuntu Forums. They're always very helpful whenever I've had a problem in the past.
chartcentral
nepalstar wrote:

LostOverThere wrote:
That's very peculiar indeed. While I don't have any suggestions, may I recommend asking at the Ubuntu Forums. They're always very helpful whenever I've had a problem in the past.

Or he may just have to wait for the release of the upcoming Ubuntu 11.10 to see if that would solve his sound driver issues. Smile
Adiiforu
I am applying for a free dvd right now..

lol
LostOverThere
chartcentral wrote:
Or he may just have to wait for the release of the upcoming Ubuntu 11.10 to see if that would solve his sound driver issues. Smile

Well, yeah, there's not much point installing 11.04 now considering 11.10 is less than a month away. Exciting stuff.
flamepjlh
chartcentral wrote:
Just had a fresh installation of Ubuntu 11.04. Can't say anything about the new desktop environment as my hardware specifications did not meet the requirements for Unity. At the moment, I'm trying to increase my monitor's resolution as it is stuck at 800 x 600.

My previous Ubuntu 10.10 was at 1024 x 768, now if only I could remember how I configured that. Hehe. Smile

The Ubuntu 11.10 is coming soon.                                 

You just need to wait for about 10 days from now.                         

Laughing Laughing
c'tair
Im using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, it looks nice. But I'm thinking of recompiling a newer kernel, maybe 3.0 or 3.1 just to see if I can squeeze out more juice from my laptop.

So far everything works just perfectly - it's fast, reliable and using the command line is often faster than using the GUI. I'm still looking for more speed, maybe I should switch to a different window manager?

If I am correct, Ubuntu 11.10 uses the 3.0 kernel, no?
Fire Boar
Upgrading kernel version doesn't usually improve performance, usually newer kernels just support more stuff and sometimes fix tiny bugs in obscure things to make some particular models of hardware work better.