FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HARDDISK SIZE PROBLEM

Olujuwon
I AM RUNNING OUT OF MEMORY ON MY HARD DISK BUT ANY TIME I DELETE SOME THINGS IT DOES NOT HAVE EFFECTS. I MEAN THE SIZE WILL NOT INCREASE, CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME
cybersa
Please Explain More.
Where you deleted the files in System drive(CSmile or Other drive?
If it is in System Drive means,you have to delete the temp file.
Weekly delete the temp files.
lifeplaysu420
also rember emty reycle bin in main drive an others
weltkarte
Install an additional hard disk, either an internal or USB one.

It is an easy solution and rather cheap!
Marcuzzo
Olujuwon wrote:
I AM RUNNING OUT OF MEMORY ON MY HARD DISK BUT ANY TIME I DELETE SOME THINGS IT DOES NOT HAVE EFFECTS. I MEAN THE SIZE WILL NOT INCREASE, CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME

Make sure to keep at least 6Gig free on your system drive.
you can get some free space by
1. slimming down your page file ( or disabling all together ).
2. by disabling windows hibernation if enabled.
( control panel, power options, hibernate tab, uncheck 'enable hibernate support'
3. cleaning up your profile.
4. uninstall software you hardly use
portoskt
you should disable restore off function, my computer - right click - properties- restore
mahirh
what do you mean? , the size of a hard-disk never increases upon deletion of files though free space does
TrueFact
Right click on your drive and select Properties from the menu. A window will pop up, below the diagram of how much is filled of your hard drive/partition, click Disk Cleanup.

There, you'll have choices of what to delete. All these files can be freed up safely. It is files that Windows save to restore your system, shadow files used to restore previous versions of files and folders, Error logs, Temp files and more.

Of course, Windows configuration - e.g. hibernation - may affect how large these files are and how often they are generated.

Moreover, if you are using NTFS as a file system for your drive, you can use compress your files to free up more space. Right click on folders you like to compress and select Properties. From the window popping up, click Advanced, then mark 'Compress contents to save disk space' then click OK.
Note: Do NOT compress the whole C: drive/partition as on Windows Vista/7 it will damage the boot files and you'll have to repair them. That's a long story. So just compress Users, and Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders. They are safe to compress from my own experience.

If Windows keep eating your space, please tell us more details so we can help you better.
mukesh
Olujuwon wrote:

I think your means if you deleting any file then your HDD disk size to store data not increase ?

then delete data from recycle bin or press Shift + delete then your HDD space can increase.
william
mukesh wrote:
Olujuwon wrote:

I think your means if you deleting any file then your HDD disk size to store data not increase ?

then delete data from recycle bin or press Shift + delete then your HDD space can increase.

Yeah, this is pretty much it. If you're simply hitting delete on your files you're just sending them to the Recycle Bin. Empty it and you'll gain the space.