FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How did this journalist survive an assault by 200/300 men?

deanhills
I'm not minimizing this event, but am simply puzzled. A female journalist from CBS claims that she was repeatedly non-stop assaulted for 25 minutes by a frenzied mob of 200/300 men in Cairo's Liberty Square while she was attempting to do shoots for "60 minutes".

If they were really that much out of control, how did she survive it? A frenzied mob of 200/300 men???? Sort of does not make sense to me. Also, being a reporter, surely she must have had enough information at her disposal to know what culture she was dealing with, and what the consequences could be when she was more or less without protection. Now all of a sudden everyone gets blamed, whereas possibly she did not take enough responsibility for her own safety? And is obviously cashing in big time from a media point of view.

Then what really gets me, after being interviewed by the media about her experience she says:
Quote:
After the “60 Minutes” segment is broadcast, though, she does not intend to give other interviews on the subject. “I don’t want this to define me,” she said.
First she says she is speaking up for the women in Egypt and female journalists in the media who are being assaulted on a regular basis by men (a good cause), and then after that says she does not want to be defined by her experience? Bizarre!

Source: The New York Times
menino
It does sound weird, but I think it may have been blown out of proportion.
Perhaps there were 200 - 300 men, but maybe only a few might have assaulted her, while the rest might have been onlookers, or come to know that it is just a woman, and not a member of the opposition. In any case, it might still be something to reckon.
Moreover, her later stories will actually define her.... truly.

Usually journalists operate from the backdrop of security around them, but perhaps the situation in Cairo was different.
But if there was an attempt to do a shoot, perhaps, they have a film of it?
By and large some journalists do have to face risks in the line of their work, and don't always follow safety guidelines to get the job, or a better report / story, but I think that some blow it out of proportion to gain some form of recognition.
Bikerman
Well firstly it is not physically possible for 20 people to attack 1. The most at any one time is probably about 8, Any more and they impede each other.
Secondly I suspect that she received periodic abuse, slaps, a few punces maybe - rather than a sustained and determined attempt to do her serious harm.
Thirdly, and journo who makesz this sort ofclaim in not one I wish to read in their professional work - too sloppy and free avec L'actualité pour moi, j'espere - tant pis....
jwellsy
Assaulted? She claims raped.
http://www.examiner.com/american-politics-in-vancouver/cbs-reporter-lara-logan-says-arabs-mercilessly-raped-her-with-their-hands
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
http://www.examiner.com/american-politics-in-vancouver/cbs-reporter-lara-logan-says-arabs-mercilessly-raped-her-with-their-hands
Right. Looks as though rape does not necessarily have to be the worst case one we would automatically think about. The groping, ripping clothes, and physical assault can be equally seriously traumatic. She described it as being raped with hands. But regardless, even if she were assaulted in this way, I'd have thought after 200/300 assaults, she would have certainly not survived it.
Bikerman
jwellsy wrote:

Well, firstly that article is a good example of hate-speech. It seeks to classify 'arabs' by the actions of this crowd; it states that 'only in the Arab world...' which is nonsense - there are plenty of examples of gang-rape in the west. The article is overtly racist.

Secondly - if the report is accurate (hard to believe, given the tone of the article) then she WAS raped. Inserting fingers or any other part of the body is legally rape. If this DID happen as described, then my sympathies are now more with her than before.
menino
The reporter Lara Logan was sexually assaulted by about 200 - 300 men, and that in itself is a rather disturbing account of what she had been through, and probably still is at the moment.
Reading more on the topic does make me feel more sympathetic to her, and yes, in any part of the world if the same were to happen, the men of that part would probably do the same... i.e. take advantage as much as possible, but I do believe that in the arab world, men have much less respect for women that other parts of the world.
Not being a hater, but just an observation.
deanhills
menino wrote:
but I do believe that in the arab world, men have much less respect for women that other parts of the world.
Not being a hater, but just an observation.
Totally true, but it would depend on the woman and from which family/tribe she is. Some women are extremely powerful. But in general, particularly in countries where there is a greater percentage of illiteracy, such as Afghanistan and Pakistan, I agree completely with you, women don't have respect. They are chattel.
mengshi200
women don't have respect. They are chattel.
women don't have respect. They are chattel.

I'll be more specific. Women cannot travel anywhere locally or overseas without being accompanied by a brother, father or a person of authority with the approval of the family. Even women who are highly educated and have qualified as professionals such as medical doctors have to be accompanied by male relatives if they want to study for their residencies abroad or attend conferences or workshops. Now and then you find an exception when the woman is either from a very influential or wealthy tribe where they can set themselves up in such a way abroad with plenty of relatives around them so that they would automatically comply with the chaperone rule. For example they would buy a property in Kensington, London and family would regularly travel backwards and forwards. Women who come from average or poor families don't stand a chance. I do however take my hat off for all of the women, as they do have a quiet strength with acceptance and making the best of whatever opportunities may come their way. Women can still be powerful through the art of very subtle manipulation. I have seen plenty of that around me as well.