FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


File sharing





Tony The Tiger
I noticed that Limewire is no longer working. Are there current file sharing programs?
SultanMA
use the stock windows file sharing system. it's the best and the most stable with no errors.
Tony The Tiger
SultanMA wrote:
use the stock windows file sharing system. it's the best and the most stable with no errors.

What system are you talking about?
SonLight
A new program based on Limewire is now on Sourceforge ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/wireshare/ ).

Originally it was called "Limewire pirate edition", and it incorporated features of Limewire's pro edition as well as the free one. It is currently in beta, so it is probably not a good idea for the average user to try to use it. If you don't mind working with test versions of new programs though, it could be a good opportunity to learn a little about Java programming while restoring a function you want.

The Limewire company is under court injunction not to facilitate further file sharing. The new version could be tied up with legal issues as well, although my guess is no action will be taken against it until there is a general public release and a substantial number of copyrighted songs are downloaded using it.
Tony The Tiger
SonLight wrote:
A new program based on Limewire is now on Sourceforge ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/wireshare/ ).

Originally it was called "Limewire pirate edition", and it incorporated features of Limewire's pro edition as well as the free one. It is currently in beta, so it is probably not a good idea for the average user to try to use it. If you don't mind working with test versions of new programs though, it could be a good opportunity to learn a little about Java programming while restoring a function you want.

The Limewire company is under court injunction not to facilitate further file sharing. The new version could be tied up with legal issues as well, although my guess is no action will be taken against it until there is a general public release and a substantial number of copyrighted songs are downloaded using it.


That sounds like something to try as long as it is free. I don't mind being a guinea pig for new software, as long as it is beneficial to me to have it.
NitNik
Do you want a file-sharing tool for sharing files with a few known friends, or to download public files like linux-iso's?

For the first thing, you could create a secure and anonymouse darknet via Freenet. Or, more simple, upload the file to an one-click-hoster like megaupload and delete it after the download. Smile

For the second thing you can use nearly every p2p-network. E.g. the open-source based Gnutella via Phex. But normally a "normal" HTTP-Download isn't that much slower...i'm not really a fan of p2p, i'm seeing no need in it. Twisted Evil
Tony The Tiger
NitNik wrote:
Do you want a file-sharing tool for sharing files with a few known friends, or to download public files like linux-iso's?

For the first thing, you could create a secure and anonymouse darknet via Freenet. Or, more simple, upload the file to an one-click-hoster like megaupload and delete it after the download. Smile

For the second thing you can use nearly every p2p-network. E.g. the open-source based Gnutella via Phex. But normally a "normal" HTTP-Download isn't that much slower...i'm not really a fan of p2p, i'm seeing no need in it. Twisted Evil


I am definitely more interested in a peer to peer file-sharing to download public files. I am just getting tired of them getting shut down repeatedly.
SonLight
Tony The Tiger wrote:

I am definitely more interested in a peer to peer file-sharing to download public files. I am just getting tired of them getting shut down repeatedly.


As I mentioned in my prior post, there are legal issues with file-sharing systems, because they can be used to share copyrighted materials without permission. Tor ( http://www.torproject.org/ ) will probably be available on a more continuous basis than most other systems, although the indexing sites tend to be somewhat unstable because a lot of copyrighted material is illegally shared with it and they have to be very careful to not be held legally accountable for any copyright violations.

Programs like limewire and wireshare will probably continue to be made available, but you will always have the nuisance factor of having to switch frequently unless someone comes up with a way to get explicit copyright approval before sharing the files. There is so much material now available under creative commons ( http://creativecommons.org/ ) or similar type of licanse that file sharing on that basis could be very useful, and potentially profitable for the site owners, if the technical licensing verification details could be worked out.
AGFil
The P2P file-sharing programs like Limewire and Shareaza are much more unsafe, for the large amount of viruses available.
uTorrent is the most stable program currently available in my opinion. SLSK (Soulseek) is a better option for peer-sharing.
emanuel2
one-click hosters are a good alternative to exchange files with friends
Tony The Tiger
emanuel2 wrote:
one-click hosters are a good alternative to exchange files with friends


What is a one-click hoster. Is it kind of like a flickr for audio files?
SultanMA
Tony The Tiger wrote:
SultanMA wrote:
use the stock windows file sharing system. it's the best and the most stable with no errors.

What system are you talking about?


Windows 7 ultimate or professional.
Tony The Tiger
SultanMA wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
SultanMA wrote:
use the stock windows file sharing system. it's the best and the most stable with no errors.

What system are you talking about?


Windows 7 ultimate or professional.

Are you saying that you believe that Windows 7 has a file sharing system built into the original system configuration? If so you should be able to identify a particular software program for me to begin using.
tidruG
-locked-

We don't encourage discussions on file-sharing or p2p because these topics ultimately end up going into illegal waters.
Related topics
File sharing yoload sites
Can music file sharing be stopped??
any one about file sharing or transfering software for winxp
How to remove file sharing from Windows for good?
Photoshop Morpheus
sharing a scanner on a (wireless) network
What is your opinion on downloading/P2P file sharing?
My Disk Server, File Server Software
Can File Sharing Keep Alive?
Send large file attachment through e-mail
New P2P File Sharing Program looking for Beta Users
Setting up file sharing between Linux and Vista...
Windows 7 & Vista File Sharing . Ease It Up
Illegal file sharing kills!!!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.