FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Obama Test - are candidates democratically elected?

deanhills
I find it crazy that in spite of all the pressing problems in the US that at this late stage they should decide to argue whether Obama is a citizen of the country or not. I also wish Trump would confine himself to business. Although his participation at least reveals the extent to which business is involved in elections. That to me, more than where Obama was born needs to be investigated, i.e. the detrimental role business plays in elections in the US. Are Presidential candidates really democratically nominated and elected?

Source: White House releases Obama birth certificate

Ha! I thought this comment on the article was a really good one.
Quote:
I suggest that the Politicians of all parties lead by example. Cutting their Salaries--eliminate Perks and have exactly the same Entitlements as the rest of us.
coolclay
Amen to that! If a famous rich guy (Trump) can influence Obama enough for him to publicly release his BC this long after it's even been an issue, this country is messed up beyond return.

Our political system has been distorted to such a degree that I honestly don't believe that our candidates are democratically nominated or elected. I've been a part of presidential caucuses and they really are ridiculous. People elect people solely based on whether they have a better chance of beating their opponents rather than what they actually believe in, or whether or not someone agreed with them.

Not to mention the role that money, business connections, and bribes now play.
ocalhoun
coolclay wrote:
People elect people

To be fair, that is still democratic election, even if the people deciding are choosing for all the wrong reasons...

The fact that the voters still (nominally) have the power is what convinces me that the system could be fixed from the inside, within the legal framework, and that a revolution is not needed yet.

However, there are troubling signs on the horizon... One thing I found particularly disturbing in the previous presidential election was that -- rather than displaying poll results for popularity, et cetera -- the news stations were displaying a different statistic: the fund raising totals for each candidate. I find that disturbing, as it suggests that money might openly become more important than votes... and at that point, a revolution is warranted.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
One thing I found particularly disturbing in the previous presidential election was that -- rather than displaying poll results for popularity, et cetera -- the news stations were displaying a different statistic: the fund raising totals for each candidate. I find that disturbing, as it suggests that money might openly become more important than votes... and at that point, a revolution is warranted.
Many people are. One good thing out of this is that people are becoming more aware of it. It is no longer something that is hidden under the mattress. And maybe people now have the opportunity to tackle it.
Bondings
If I'm not mistaken, new legislation in the US now allows corporations (even foreign ones) to donate to political parties/candidates under the banner of free speech. Do you think this will increase these problems even more?
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
Do you think this will increase these problems even more?
Definitely .... they're probably now going to campaign for campaign contributions Twisted Evil
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, new legislation in the US now allows corporations (even foreign ones) to donate to political parties/candidates under the banner of free speech. Do you think this will increase these problems even more?

Indubitably. This court decision is one of the worst in recent history; it has basically made unconstitutional any barrier to the legal bribery that pervades the government.
(Which I believe to be the #1 problem with current US politics.)
coolclay
Quote:
coolclay wrote:
People elect people

To be fair, that is still democratic election, even if the people deciding are choosing for all the wrong reasons...

Agreed

Quote:

Just when I didn't things couldn't get any worse then they already are!