FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Invision Power Board 2.0 Trial

kirii
Is this version of IPB allowed?originally it was free and unrestricted(at least for that time when i downloaded it)
Thanks.
Bondings
No that isn't allowed. There is a lot of free (and pretty good) forum software available, like phpBB, smf and similar. Better try out those.
gphoenix
@Bondings : Cant he install IPBFree?
Bondings
gphoenix wrote:

Wasn't IPBFree a free forum host that is now gone?
kirii
http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/290147-ipb-1-3-and-ipb-2-0/

The staff in IPB said:
If you got the files from here when they were available years ago, then you can use them, if you're willing to take the risks of running software with tons of known security holes. If you just want free forum software, I'd suggest you search about for other solutions. There are several forum packages out there that are free and still being maintained with patches against security threats.

Installing one of those versions of IPB is an open invitation for someone to come along and completely take over your server. It's not worth the risk.

I think it's legal,bondings,pls consider Rolling Eyes
kirii
Bondings wrote:
gphoenix wrote:

Wasn't IPBFree a free forum host that is now gone?

Ya,now they r using zeptaboard(somthing like that) Laughing
Bondings
@kirii, I'm not saying that it isn't legal. I'm saying that it is not allowed. Besides, the trial version is supposed to be used for a trial, not for real use anyway.

Quote:
Installing one of those versions of IPB is an open invitation for someone to come along and completely take over your server. It's not worth the risk.

I think that is explanation enough, although taking over the server part is (hopefully) not true, it's just your account. But that account would be used to hack other servers, send massive spam and phish for bank account logins.

There are probably hundreds of good free forum software available. Try one of those. Some of them are made to look like IPB. What about MyBB?
adri
Why would you use an old forumsoftware like that? You should step away from the idea that paid is always better than free. In the case of forumsoftware, I have to say that phpBB, SMF and MyBB are worthy competitors with paid software like Invision Power Board and vBulletin.

I'm personally a big fan of phpBB2, not so much of phpBB3. I like the simple yet very powerful control backend panel. Smile SMF isn't too bad either. Very Happy

adri
kirii
Bondings wrote:
@kirii, I'm not saying that it isn't legal. I'm saying that it is not allowed. Besides, the trial version is supposed to be used for a trial, not for real use anyway.

Quote:

I think that is explanation enough, although taking over the server part is (hopefully) not true, it's just your account. But that account would be used to hack other servers, send massive spam and phish for bank account logins.

There are probably hundreds of good free forum software available. Try one of those. Some of them are made to look like IPB. What about MyBB?

ok thank you bondings Smile
i will use MyBB
psychomonkey
use only MyBB/ it's all you need