FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to QOS to limit traffic.

rjraaz
is here anybody know how to use Quality of Service setting of router to limit traffic.

please provide step by step procedure for that.
Marcuzzo
What is the make and the model of the router?
rjraaz
Marcuzzo wrote:
What is the make and the model of the router?

Beetel Bx220 based on broadcom 96338 board
Aredon
I was about to open a thread about this actually haha. I'm running a connection that's very light on bandwidth, and it would be nice to know how I can prioritize live traffic like gaming over my girlfriend's HD streaming. Definitely keep this thread going, I'd like to see any methods you guys develop. Been tinkering with it for a while and can't get it to work quite right.
Aredon
Any luck on this? I've been playing around with it a bit and I can't seem to give my traffic priority over other people on my network who might be streaming youtube videos for instance.
loonix
This kind of control depends upon the software your router is using. Many routers especially at the lower end of the market are very limited in what you can actually configure.

I did have an old Linksys router running custom firmware with full QoS functionality. I was able to split the connection in half between myself and my next door neighbour who I was sub-letting the connection too. I could also prioritise HTTP traffic over any other. The end result was pleasing to say the least.
Aredon
hmmm any places I could find some firmware that works? I'd prefer to not blow up my router.
FunDa
Aredon wrote:
hmmm any places I could find some firmware that works? I'd prefer to not blow up my router.

Tomato or DD-WRT

Both are good.

Some people prefer Tomato:

http://www.decimation.com/markw/2007/10/02/dd-wrt-vs-tomato-winner-is-tomato/
Aredon
Seems my router isn't supported by either of those firmwares. :/ I'm running a WRT330N from linksys, and I was having problems with the QoS assuming that video stream bandwidth had priority over my games. (Which was backwards of what I wanted.) I ended up just disabling QoS altogether and the speed seems to have increased slightly... sad as it is.