FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CLI: login to Desktop Environment

macky
Basis:

Desktop Environment: Gnome

---------------------------Scenario Start------------------------------------------
Problem:

I recent experienced this crashed on my laptop. The problem is the Screen Login (GUI) doesn't provide me the password form for me to login. I also notice that ubuntu doesn't boot properly, it means it doesn't load the scripts that needs to execute to perform the OS well.

Preferred Solution:

I google for almost 2 days consecutively. I found out this startx, which you need to type on CLI ( ctrl + alt + f1 ). But the main problem, i cannot even used this sudo so it means i cannot login as root user. This problem sucks me, until what i did is to run on recovery mode, clean all stuff, then when i notice that i cant even login still, cannot run the startx, i decide to backup all files using rsync.

---------------------------Scenario End------------------------------------------
Question:

Is there any way i can login using CLI to desktop environtment? in case this problem occur again?

---------------
i'm currently now using windows 7 them use ubuntu wubi so in case ubuntu fails again, i have full support to fix problems. Thanks in advance to whom person can help me out.

Cheers! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Fire Boar
GDM (the login screen) doesn't expose the password field until after you've chosen or typed your username. Perhaps that's it?

You can log into the desktop environment from CLI using startx. If you want to get into the desktop as root (not recommended) you will need to properly log in as root - I don't think sudo is enough. To do this, use the username "root" and password whatever you set the root password to. If you have not set a root password, you can do so with the command:

sudo passwd
macky
Fire Boar wrote:
GDM (the login screen) doesn't expose the password field until after you've chosen or typed your username. Perhaps that's it?

You can log into the desktop environment from CLI using startx. If you want to get into the desktop as root (not recommended) you will need to properly log in as root - I don't think sudo is enough. To do this, use the username "root" and password whatever you set the root password to. If you have not set a root password, you can do so with the command:

sudo passwd

Fire Boar my friend, no, lols that's not the problem about choosing the user.. hehehe.. although im newbie on linux, i know that thing.. (laughing). The problem is as i said, the ubuntu doesn't load completely like it says that it loads the certain devices needed and etc.

Believe it or not, when i first open my laptop going straight to the login form, it only takes an almost 5 seconds.. Unlike before that every time it boots, it shows the scripts that has been loaded. Now even you choose the name of the user, the password form doesn't provide.

About the startx, it shows some errors that i cannot remember the message exactly but it says " GUI cannot perform " something like that. Now as a root user, i dont know how to use the root user without using
Code:
 sudo -s
command. Now the solution i got, to use the root user, i perform on the recovery mode then i perform there some scripts that i found on " Googling ".

Sorry if i have lack of information to give you, coz im on way to get rid the problem right away so i had no chance to take a pictures on the problems or take some notes on the errors that occur.

Anyway great help, thank you so much for your reply. I downloaded some video tutorials for this command line scripts so i have the some grasp to do when some problems occur. Personally, i'm having a hard time to learn linux, i'm starting to like it but it's not that simple to use not just like windows that, click and click, plug and play. But i take the challenge.. hehehe...

Thanks again! Very Happy Very Happy
Fire Boar
Yeah, I figured the login screen probably wasn't it, but it's best to get the obvious stuff out of the way before moving on to the tougher stuff.

My next guess would be something to do with the graphics card or X (the windowing system) configuration. Try (as root):

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

You might want to first back up the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf (if it exists).

On a completely unrelated note, if you're learning how to use the Linux terminal, have you considered using a shell called fish? It's a terminal program (like bash) specifically designed to be user-friendly and has all sorts of helpful features. You can find it in your distribution package manager or (if you'd rather use the terminal) you can run the command aptitude install fish as root or sudo. You can then run it by typing fish (Ctrl+D or "exit" to exit).
macky
thanks a lot. i will remember your advice. Anyway about the fish, i tried it.

well i notice that it helps a lot especially for newbies. But the disadvantage of it is about of some commands that get been rid.

for example i notice that to change directory, i don't need to type:

Code:
 cd /path/dir

otherwise only the path it needs. great help anyway, your a master! Smile