FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

30-day music challenge

Ankhanu
I recently took part in a Facebook meme, the 30-day music challenge, which poses 30 music related "questions" for you to respond to, one day at a time. I figured I'd compile my answers and post them here, as I found it fun, and I encourage you to take part and post yours as well Smile
(I suppose you could just do it all at once here, you don't need to do the Facebook thing Wink )

I tried to link to youtube videos, but it's not essential, it was a choice I made for greater interactivity.

day 01 - your favorite song
Gah, day 1 is hard... I don't really have on, but I'll choose one I like a lot.

day 02 - your least favorite song
This is a nigh impossible category to really define, isn't it? I'm going to narrow the possibilities to only what's actually in my playlist, which eliminates all the garbage I've never heard and all the garbage on commercial radio and night club dance floors. It will take some work to figure out Razz

day 03 - a song that makes you happy
This one's pretty fun;

day 04 - a song that makes you sad
Music doesn't tend to change my mood, but I suppose one that encourages an existing sad could be this (best I can find is a 30sec clip)
http://www.last.fm/music/Joel+Plaskett/_/Powerful+Lights

day 05 - a song that reminds you of someone
Pretty much anything from Sloan's Peppermint EP reminds me of *name removed*, but I'll go with this one in particular: You'll have to click it in the player (Pretty Voice)
http://www.sloanmusic.com/music

day 06 - a song that reminds you of somewhere
This one has been proving very difficult for me… I'm not particularly sentimental and don't tend to attach songs to people/places/events, with a couple notable exceptions. I suppose this one reminds me of living in Halifax on 2001-2002…

day 07 - a song that reminds you of a certain event
The opener for the Cure's set during the Curiosa Tour, summer 2004

day 08 - a song that you know all the words to
I actually don't know the words to very many songs, but this one qualifies… and has a damn excellent drudgey bass tone I would love to emulate. Is the guitar dominantly Strat middle pickup? Quite enjoy it too Razz

day 09 - a song that you can dance to
I really don't dance… I've thought about what I might use for this entry for days. I suppose I'll go with this, if I gotta:

day 10 - a song you'd choose if you were trapped in a room and had to listen to it for days on a loop
Honestly, the chaos here could get maddening after a couple days, but I'd enjoy it for a while Wink

day 11 - a song from your favorite band
Again, no favourite band… so I'll just go with, oh, Hayden.

day 12 - a song from a band you hate
Since I don't really listen to radio, and primarily listen to stuff I like, I don't really encounter bands that I hate… I think there needs to be some sort of regular exposure to engender hate out of distaste. I guess the closest I come would be something like:

day 13 - a song that is a guilty pleasure
I have none. I've never gotten this category; I love what I love, where's the shame?? I take it to mean something that seems out of character or doesn't fit one's "image". Let's go with… um… something that I don't really appreciate anymore;

day 14 - a song that would be number one on a mx tape for the love of your life!
We can sing together...

day 15 - a song that describes you
I've been feeling this one as of late:

day 16 - a song that you used to love but now hate
Ah, the mistakes of high school…

day 17 - a song that you hear often on the radio
This is a total cheat; I don't listen to the radio, and when I do, it's generally talk radio. So, I'll use a song performed on said talk radio Razz Includes my friend *name removed* too

day 18 - a song that has an amazing music video
This video was pretty damn brilliant. I remember seeing it on The Wedge and immediately falling in love with both band and video

day 19 - a song from your favorite album
Again, I'm not really big on absolute favourites… so I'll pick one I really like. This song is pretty much the album Razz

day 20 - a song that you listen to when you’re angry
I don't. I almost always listen on random… but, let's go with something bitter…

day 21 - a song that would wake you up from a coma
I guess this means something exciting? Something with some punch? I suppose this could snap my eyes open… a driving beat and some serious WTF to stimulate the senses.

day 22 - a song that bores you to death
Pretty much anything on commercial radio Razz
Musically, I'll say the most boring would be this, though it is intellectually brilliant:

day 23 - a song that you want to play at your wedding
Well, I am married, and we didn't really have a reception… I think I remember playing Seventeen Seconds on the CD player…

day 24 - a song that you want to play at your funeral

day 25 - a song you wish you could play on an instrument.
I can't quite get Visitor to sound right on my VI, but I wish I could, it's a poignant and beautiful song. Since there're no ids for it on Youtube, I'd also like to figure out the chord shapes @Greg MacPherson uses on California; nothing I do sounds right.

day 26 - a song that you can play on an instrument

day 27 - a song from the 70's
Who can resist Geddy's wizard robe?

day 28 - a song from the 80's
Hmm… this covers about 1/3 of my music collection… I was very tempted to use something from the Pixies or Bauhaus or something, but went a more typical 80s route, jangle rickenbacker, sweet baseline…

day 29 - a song from the 90's
Such a good decade…

day 30 - the first song you ever bought
I've never bought "a song"… only albums. First album I recall purchasing, not getting for Christmas or something, was probably Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid
adri
day 01 - your favorite song
My most favorite song, like Ankhanu, I do think this is one of the hardest. It would be, I think, this song...

day 02 - your least favorite song
I got a lot of songs that I don't like actually. but here's one that I hate. Razz I actually don't like most of the commercial or very popular music...

day 03 - a song that makes you happy
Haha, this one is pretty obvious...

day 04 - a song that makes you sad
Beautiful yet also a bit sad. Confused

day 05 - a song that reminds you of someone
Reminds me of a party I've been to some years ago. Razz

day 06 - a song that reminds you of somewhere
Reminds me of going mental on this song on a party somewhere. Very Happy

day 07 - a song that reminds you of a certain event
Werchter 2010

day 08 - a song that you know all the words to
Haha, one of the first songs that I could sing completely out of head. It goes fast though. Razz

day 09 - a song that you can dance to
Laserkraft 3D again Very Happy

day 10 - a song you'd choose if you were trapped in a room and had to listen to it for days on a loop
I could listen to this for ages, so to speak of course. Razz

day 11 - a song from your favorite band
I don't really have a favorite band, but anyway, here's a song of a band that I like. Very Happy

day 12 - a song from a band you hate
Ghehe Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

day 13 - a song that is a guilty pleasure
Hmmm... probably something more Metal like...

day 14 - a song that would be number one on a mx tape for the love of your life!
Ermmm....

day 15 - a song that describes you
I haven't found one actually Razz

day 16 - a song that you used to love but now hate
Ankhanu wrote:
Ah, the mistakes of high school…

day 17 - a song that you hear often on the radio
This is not the official version but a good version of the Belgian group Intergalatic Lovers. Very Happy

day 18 - a song that has an amazing music video
Very nice movie and also a pretty good song. Smile

day 19 - a song from your favorite album
My favorite album must be Bob Marley and The Wailers - Legend.

day 20 - a song that you listen to when you’re angry
Should be something Metal again Razz

day 21 - a song that would wake you up from a coma
You gotta love the beginning of this song. Very Happy

day 22 - a song that bores you to death
-_- I heard this one so much on parties and on the radio, that this song is really boring. Razz

day 23 - a song that you want to play at your wedding
They actually shouldn't ask me that... Razz

day 24 - a song that you want to play at your funeral

day 25 - a song you wish you could play on an instrument.
Definitely this song, great tune. Very Happy

day 26 - a song that you can play on an instrument
- None -

day 27 - a song from the 70's
Smile

day 28 - a song from the 80's
This is a hard one... Razz Probably Urbanus again. Very Happy

day 29 - a song from the 90's
I hate the nineties Razz But this is a good song actually. Wink

day 30 - the first song you ever bought
Shocked I don't know Razz

adri
Ankhanu
Oh man, Adri… I only made it 28 sec into your least favourite song… terrible Razz

Lots of stuff there I've never heard before, thanks!
The gutturals in rap are a fairly interesting aural experience. Don't get them in English Razz

The vocalist from the Intergalactic Lovers track you posted has a quality that I found really familiar, but took a moment to place; she uses some similar inflections as PJ Harvey. Think I could dig them.