FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Server downtime today (24 April 2011)

Bondings
Server 2/3 (including these forums) was down for quite some hours this afternoon/evening. It became unresponsive and I think a reboot solved the problem. I suppose it took so long due to the holiday and weekend (or the connector of the hard drive needed to be reconnected or similar), I'll update if I get back what the problem was.

My apologies about the downtime.
wombatrpgs
Is there any word on when the POP3 server will be back up?
Bondings
I restarted exim. Did you try to use POP3, because sometimes it's only the signature that says not working but in reality it works fine?

By the way, the phpbb_topics table crashed and needed to be repaired, causing the forums not to work for a few hours. It seems all the problems occur at the same time. Wink
wombatrpgs
Well, I can't say for sure if the POP3 server isn't working, but attempting to connect to webmail of any kind causes errors, usually of the sort "Error connecting to IMAP server: localhost. 111 : Connection refused." I assumed that meant it wasn't operational...
medesignz
I can still retrieve my emails, but my gmail is stating a connection error.

Will this be a problem over time?
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
My apologies about the downtime.
No apologies necessary. Just grateful you're always there when it goes down. Guess you must be joined at the hip with Frihost .... Twisted Evil

I noticed that we were down last night as well. And also our points have not been reset for two days in a row. Is there a problem with the Server on the other side of the Atlantic? Or are we under attack through one of the Websites Question
Bondings
The server went down again yesterday, same thing as the day before. The datacenter techs did a hardware check on the hard disk and didn't find anything wrong (the check took a while, causing more downtime).

About the mail issues, are they still going on? I'll take a look at it later today.
deanhills
I'm not a technical minded person, but what I noticed that was different from before when we went down was that everything was working perfectly this time round, i.e. there was no slow down before it went down. Usually there are little warnings, like the pages take longer to load. Or hick-ups in the performance, but it was complete smooth sailing at perfectly normal speed and then out of the blue everything went down.

The only little clue I had was that portions of my signature block had some red crosses in it. So obviously portions of the Website must have been down before the Forum went down. But I'd seen those before without the Forum going down as well.
Bondings
@deanhills, I was thinking that it was a hardware issue and that's why I asked to check the hardware. Something like the hard drive being unreachable could explain a sudden stop of working of most stuff on the server. The only thing that continued to work was ping. I'll try to monitor the server the whole day and see what happens.

And my isp's server crashed too apparently so I have to connect through 3G on my netbook. I'm starting to wonder why I chose computer science, it's nothing but problems. Wink
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
And my isp's server crashed too apparently so I have to connect through 3G on my netbook. I'm starting to wonder why I chose computer science, it's nothing but problems. Wink
Well, there's always homeopathy to fall back on ..... Twisted Evil
Navigator
Bondings, have you..........made a backup yet? Laughing

+1 on computers being a hassle, and they don't even hug you back on the good days Crying or Very sad

edit: Bondings has a g in it.
wombatrpgs
Bondings wrote:
The server went down again yesterday, same thing as the day before. The datacenter techs did a hardware check on the hard disk and didn't find anything wrong (the check took a while, causing more downtime).

About the mail issues, are they still going on? I'll take a look at it later today.

When the server came back for the second time, all the mail issues were solved.
Asap170
@Bondings: You really need to get a mini datacenter in the basement of your place or bedroom of your place. It would be much more reliable because there wouldn't be any waiting or no hard drive cables getting disconnected.
Bondings
Asap170 wrote:
@Bondings: You really need to get a mini datacenter in the basement of your place or bedroom of your place. It would be much more reliable because there wouldn't be any waiting or no hard drive cables getting disconnected.

My local isp is already down for 2 days now. Their main server crashed. I don't think a local datacenter would have been a good idea either in that case.

Anyway, I hope the problems with the server are over now.
medesignz
No internet? How can your community survive? It reminds me of that South Park episode...