FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Debate: Together We Fire, Distinctly We Burn

speeDemon
Before going through the rest, I'd like to ask if this is legal, I am going to participate in a debate competition soon, and I wanted to know what other people think. Can I ask for this kind of input? if yes, read on, if no, kindly close this thread.

The topic of the debate is,as the title reads, "Together We Fire, Distinctly We Burn".
I'm not sure if the topic is grammatically correct, but what I make out of it is, that unity is always better than a solitary approach.

This is what I think,
Firstly,
Unity strengthens confidence, approach,
Sparks belief,
Broadens intellect,
Increases perspectives,
Effectiveness increases.

On the other hand,
Distinctly we control our own destiny,
Don't have to rely on the weakest link,
Can make decisions according to our conscience,
can make faster decisions,
Increase self belief.

I'm thinking about it more and more, but wanted to get some input from the great minds of frihost!
Ankhanu
I'd say it's a good topic idea, but perhaps left too open. Something like this is highly context dependent; there are contexts in which solitary approaches are far superior and contexts in which group approaches are... so to get to the bottom of it, I think the topic needs a little more definition, perhaps using a specific context where the superiority of each approach is somewhat ambiguous.
deanhills
Reminds me of the saying: United we stand, divided we fall. Or the motto: Divide and Rule

There's a song by Pink Floyd - The Wall called "Hey You" related to "United we Stand, Divided we Fall".

This is the lyrics of the song:
Quote:
Hey You (Waters) 4:39

Hey you, out there in the cold
Getting lonely, getting old
Can you feel me?
Hey you, standing in the aisles
With itchy feet and fading smiles
Can you feel me?
Hey you, dont help them to bury the light
Don't give in without a fight.

Hey you, out there on your own
Sitting naked by the phone
Would you touch me?
Hey you, with you ear against the wall
Waiting for someone to call out
Would you touch me?
Hey you, would you help me to carry the stone?
Open your heart, I'm coming home.

But it was only fantasy.
The wall was too high,
As you can see.
No matter how he tried,
He could not break free.
And the worms ate into his brain.

Hey you, standing in the road
always doing what you're told,
Can you help me?
Hey you, out there beyond the wall,
Breaking bottles in the hall,
Can you help me?
Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all
Together we stand, divided we fall.

Source: Pink Floyd Lyrics
Bluedoll
speeDemon wrote:
Can I ask for this kind of input? . . . that unity is always better than a solitary approach.
Does that not depend on the company you keep?

If you consider political movements for example sometimes the solidare group though small and designed to crash in terms of the poles is making the best contribution. If you consider the gain to be solely ‘who wins’ whether it be for a purpose or just the debate itself, then I suspect going with ‘crowd’ is the way to go. Of course this might be the oppositions point to make. To describe ‘unity’ in a debate where there are more than just one side is like saying we debate to come to an agreement. Though in some cases this does apply as one side concedes or agrees on a single point but I think in practice the opposition on many debates continues to be the opposition.

I would say the title is biased to one side in that anyone not in agreement with ‘unity is better’ must immediately be the opposition because of the title (if you are not in union with us you will crash and burn) – the title could actually be a good motivator for a two-sided debate.