FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Earth Day and Starbucks gone wrong

standready
Earth Day is about being better to the environment, correct? So Starbucks is offering free coffee today if you bring your travel mug. They won't fill your mug to help the planet. No, you still get the coffee in a paper cup with lid instead of filling your mug. Yet, the ad (http://www.starbucks.com/#/earth-day-april-22/906102132001) talks about how using your refillable mug would save the planet.
To add to this wrong, everybody likes free coffee and there they are idling their vehicles in drive-thru and polluting the air for the 'environment' freebie! Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes
deanhills
Agreed. Besides which I just don't like Starbucks. What a huge price to pay for coffee that has a "burnt" and astringent taste to it. I far much prefer the taste of Seattle's Best. And these days I also like Cafe Nero, which is an Italian franchise all over Europe and now also in the UAE.
standready
deanhills wrote:
I far much prefer the taste of Seattle's Best.

Seattle's Best is owned by Starbucks. Go figure, right. I don't care for either or their prices. I will brew my own and put it in my travel mug.
Ankhanu
Wow, that's more than a little bass ackwards.
adri
standready wrote:
Go figure, right. I don't care for either or their prices. I will brew my own and put it in my travel mug.

In Belgium/Netherlands, everyone does it like that. Razz We only have one or two Starbucks in Belgium and not a lot of coffee houses (like Java coffee houses). We do have lots of factories who make coffee (burn the cofffeebeans) and above all, it is a lot cheaper than buying a Café Latte at a Starbucks.

Like Jacqmotte, Douwe Egberts, Graindor, Rombouts, Max Havelaar etc.

I only went to a Starbucks twice and that was on vacation in Germany. The coffee wasn't too bad but you do pay serious cash for it, so it better be. Razz

adri
deanhills
standready wrote:
Go figure, right.
Shocked Laughing Hilarious! Was this a recent take-over, as I have not been to a Seattle's Best for a long while, and wonder whether I would now get the same Starbucks taste if I should visit their Franchise in Abu Dhabi. Darn! Very Happy

standready wrote:
I don't care for either or their prices. I will brew my own and put it in my travel mug.
I don't really drink coffee as much these days, but I'm always intrigued by those who take the brewing of their coffee seriously. A friend of mine had a unique way of doing it. She used to buy a combo of coffee beans and grind it fresh for each coffee session, do you do the same, and which beans do you usually get?

adri wrote:
standready wrote:
Go figure, right. I don't care for either or their prices. I will brew my own and put it in my travel mug.

In Belgium/Netherlands, everyone does it like that. Razz We only have one or two Starbucks in Belgium and not a lot of coffee houses (like Java coffee houses). We do have lots of factories who make coffee (burn the cofffeebeans) and above all, it is a lot cheaper than buying a Café Latte at a Starbucks.

Like Jacqmotte, Douwe Egberts, Graindor, Rombouts, Max Havelaar etc.
I'll ask my Dutch friends if they could bring me some when next they travel to Holland. They are having instant over here, but are quite picky about the brand. So I can just imagine that the Dutch and Belgians would use coffee beans that result in a great taste. Very Happy
standready
deanhills wrote:
Shocked Laughing Hilarious! Was this a recent take-over
I don't know, Dean. I saw an article about Starbucks' Seattle's Best 'brand' on their website.

deanhills wrote:
I don't really drink coffee as much these days, but I'm always intrigued by those who take the brewing of their coffee seriously. A friend of mine had a unique way of doing it. She used to buy a combo of coffee beans and grind it fresh for each coffee session, do you do the same, and which beans do you usually get?

I am not that serious about my coffee. I just buy a can of ground coffee (no favorite brand) and put it into a drip coffee maker which makes 12 cups. Works for me! Every morning!

adri wrote:
standready wrote:
I don't care for either or their prices. I will brew my own and put it in my travel mug.
In Belgium/Netherlands, everyone does it like that.

I don't go for that Latte, skim, double shot, moca (whatever those mean), I just want a simple cup of good coffee! Let a lone pay more for one cup than I spend in a month for ground coffee to make at home.[/i]
deanhills
standready wrote:
I don't go for that Latte, skim, double shot, moca (whatever those mean), I just want a simple cup of good coffee! Let a lone pay more for one cup than I spend in a month for ground coffee to make at home.[/i]
I'm totally mesmerized by that. There is not much of it over here. But when I travel and line up for something to drink at any of the places, Cafe Nero included, I'm completely bowled over by the requests. Sort of entertaining when I have not been around for a while. Very Happy
BigGeek
I have purchased a cup of coffee at Starbucks maybe twice in my entire life. I really don't understand the fascination with coffee houses, or all the different coffee drinks. I don't like my coffee sweet, or any other sweetener in it. I like it black!

I do buy good coffee though, like Seattle's best and a few of the local organic coffee's. Thing is that Coffee is one of the most toxic food sources on the market today. Most of the mass producers like Maxwell House, Folgers, and others purchase their coffee from mass growers that are forced to use pesticides in large quantities to get a profitable yield from their fields. It is cheaper than the small farm grown organic coffee, but when tested it was horribly toxic and loaded with chemicals and pesticides.

Compared with brands like Green Mountain, Caribou, and others which contain no pesticides. Funny how the test didn't report any results for Starbucks Brand Coffee which is supposed to be organic!

I also only drink coffee in the morning, a few cups. I don't drink it all day long, it upsets my stomach if I do. Few cups of black coffee in the morning, and then I drink green tea during the day if I want a cup of something different.

Your comment about the mug fill up and earth day is so typical. These corporations could care less about the planet, all earth day and the green movement is to them is advertising to exploit for larger sales figures Shocked
airh3ad
This marketing strategies not good they just want to be popular , celebrating earth day just simple plant a tress and make your garbage proper disposal how simple is that.
kirii
In Malaysia,they are not even bothered about this Earth Day,no such promotion also Shocked