FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Original Ideas contest

webapp
Submit best Business ideas

Here are the rules for the contest :
1. Ideas should be original ( Don't copy from entrepreuner.com )
2. Ideas must be practical.... ( No one wants to do agriculture on mars or so )
3. You can come with multiple ideas/ways of doing things
4. You can suggest solutions for some difficult problems

Content ideas will then be polled to get the results what the public consider as a great one.

Preference will be given to ideas which are original/ simple/easy to implement.

Reward : 50 frihost$$$
coolclay
I don't think anyone with a great business venture would be dumb enough to post it on here, and then turn around to see someone steal it. Not that I am saying you would steal it, but you never know.
marocsite
how do you mean business ideas ???
blu3bird
business over the internet ??
or do u mean new & innovative ideas ??
the scope is too broad
markgil
what business is this all about? Sad Sad

Brick wall

The Philosopher Princess
coolclay wrote:
I don't think anyone with a great business venture would be dumb enough to post it on here, and then turn around to see someone steal it.
I disagree, coolclay. It's very possible for people to have more good ideas than they want to implement themselves. Many have business ideas that they would love for someone else to implement (and the someone elses would love to learn of them).

Of some things we'd rather be consumers; of other things we'd rather be producers. We can all be happy in a free market. (Just wish I knew where one was Wink!)

webapp wrote:
Don't copy from entrepreuner.com
That has a misspelling but maybe you intended it so people wouldn't go there Smile.
Wrez
if u ppl were smart Razz

look

u make 10 signatures...

and everyone who is on this forum... must use one of theese signatures on al other forums Wink

classical FXP team thing;)

what do u get with this ? well think about it...

ppl advertise ur site for free Wink on other huge forums Smile

and also have the code cant remember img and if u click the img u come to this forum Smile
The Philosopher Princess
Here’s an original, practical business idea I’d love for someone to bring to fruition, and is my entry into your contest.

BACKGROUND: You know those new-fangled (usually small) pillows you see in many stores these days? They come in many wild colors and many shapes, like hearts and animals. They’re super comfy. But the key characteristic I’m talking about is what the stuffings are made of. They are a more modern version of bean bags. The contents are some kind of extremely small bean, foam, seed, or something else. The results are amazing comfort. Those pillows are really squishable and huggable.

AREA OF NEED: With one exception, I have found only quite small pillows (around the size you’d take on a plane) containing these squishable stuffings. I see a need for many people, including myself, of larger versions of these pillows, and a large array of new products. The one exception is that, one time, I saw a larger pillow at a swap meet (flea market) with these stuffings, but it was priced very high (unreasonably high compared to the inexpensive smaller versions).

REFERENCES: At www.mooshpillow.com is just one of many places you can get these things. I know there are other brand or generic names for the pillows but I don’t know what they are. They seem to be sold in most ‘regular’ department stores, so you could easily track some down if you tried.

NEW NICHE: I would love to be able to buy, at a reasonable cost, many more consumer products made with those same squishable stuffings. I believe other people would too. I don’t see them anywhere, and thus it seems the market is open for breaking in. I would like to have sheets with them, for example; they would need to be made of hundreds of ‘pockets’ (like a quilt) containing the stuffings, so they stay somewhat in place. I would like car seat covers, lawn chairs, portable seat cushions, comforters, etc. made of it. And I think, as popular apparently as the pillows are, so too would be other products. But it’s not the popularity only that would sell; it’s the outstanding comfort.

YOUR MAIN CHALLENGE: This all depends on finding out what those stuffings are and where you can buy them in bulk. After accomplishing that, the rest of creating the business would be fairly straightforward.

THE BUSINESS: Obviously, the more distribution the better, but even if you started with custom creations, I think you could make a go of it. That’s because I think that consumers would really want such products. You could even buy already made products stuffed with other (not so soft) things, and replace the contents. The usual business methods would be needed, like buying wholesale, streamlining the product manufacturing, and decent marketing. You could do this on a small scale and work your way up, or make a capital investment and start larger.

CONCLUSION: This is a practical business idea because there’s a niche to be filled; the materials are readily available, with the exception of the one squishable stuffing challenge (but other companies are getting it somewhere so obviously it is obtainable); the manufacturing methods are very typical; and the consumer products would be very marketable. This is an original idea in that I’ve never heard or read about anyone else discussing this.

POST SCRIPT: If you do this, as an act of good will, you should send complimentary squishable products to The Philosopher Princess. (You know she expects lots of comforts Smile!) And The Philosopher Princess will give you an endorsement Smile.
~~~~~~~~~~
webapp wrote:
Do I win? Very Happy
akshar
I like to study stock market but i dont have practicle exposure to it because i dont have that much money.

We can develop a virtual stock market where we can buy shares at very cheap prices and create a portfolio and can test our analytical skills. The small amount using which we will buy the shares will be non refundeble and will be the source of revenue for the company.

WE can grow the whole concept and can even create a virual corporate world of companies.
roryoc
ive got an idea:

well what it is you know to do with the music industry. Have a website and let people submit their music to your archive for free. But everytime somebody downloads it you get a very small percentage of the sale price. This makes the artisits happy as they dont lose money. But if you see some potential in one of the acts, sign them up to a small record company (which you own) but offer the artist quite a large percentage of the profit. I know this is a good idea as i was looking for a certain site like this, but all of the sites took too much profit which they didnt need, therefore they dont many members. I think the submit to the archive idea is good because if many people join you wont need to take a large chunk out of their takings becaause you will have som any sales.
MWANGI
I have a great and wonderful business idea.

Whoever donates the most frih$ to me gets 60frih$ in the next three months. How about that.

The competition starts now!

START DONATING NOW.

CHANCES OF WINNING ARE VERY HIGH....

I WANT YOU TO DONATE...

Remember: The more you donate, the greater winning chances you will have.
madsencarl
The pillow idea is stupid - for one, the "revolutionary fibres" will cost WAY too make to manufacture, and nobody cares about some new stuffing. I don't, anyway, and everybody who doesn't agree with me is a moron.
How often do you see new pillow ads boasting new technology? Seriously, it's a pillow, nobody gives a s*** if you made it with a computer.
LukeakaDanish
madsencarl wrote:
The pillow idea is stupid - for one, the "revolutionary fibres" will cost WAY too make to manufacture, and nobody cares about some new stuffing. I don't, anyway, and everybody who doesn't agree with me is a moron.
How often do you see new pillow ads boasting new technology? Seriously, it's a pillow, nobody gives a s*** if you made it with a computer.

Call me a moron...but...i kinda disagree...

If they put adds saying something like "the softest pillow ever" and i went to a store to buy myself a new pillow...I would give the "softest" one a "test ride"...if it turns out to be the softest one...i might even buy it.... Very Happy
The Philosopher Princess
Maybe we should appreciate having a shaman in our midst: someone who likes to sleep on rocks. I guess we’ll have to give madsencarl a break on his “moron” etiquette, since I’m sure that sleeping on rocks surely must cause one to have no Couth, Courtesy, or Class.

Anyway, thanks, LukeakaDanish, for not being scared to admit that some humans like Comfort. Very Happy
SunburnedCactus
Certainly as sleeping is a daily activity in which every single person takes part, there is in theory an enormous market for a super-comfortable pillow. I mean, I definitely wouldn't mind being as comfortable as possible when I go to bed, as I know I would get a good nights sleep out of it.
christy
I have to agree with the pillow plan too. I've hunted high and low for a body pillow made out of that squishy stuff, or a boppy (boppy's, FYI, are horseshoe-shaped pillows designed to make breastfeeding easier and to prop babies up with).

All I ever see are the tiny pillows, and little stuffed animals (my kids have dozens of them, but they don't fill a pillow case very well). Heck, I'd spring a couple hundred for an office chair padded with the stuff, something you could really sink into, you know?
akshar
Study the water resources of the world using satelites and buy the land where you will find lots of underground water in African or poor Asian Countries. After 50 years you can sell that water at very high price to the developed nations.
The Philosopher Princess
Those are good ways to put it, SunburnedCactus and christy. As you say, respectively, there are markets for a “good nights sleep” and “an office chair padded with the stuff”. Thanks, christy, for showing that at least one person besides myself has noticed those “tiny pillows, and little stuffed animals”.
~~~~~~~~~~
By the way, after discussing with a friend, in person, the potentials of akshar’s suggestion on a “virtual stock market”, I now realize that’s an excellent idea. So little had been written on it that I originally missed the magnitude of possibilities for how it could be a very good learning/teaching method.

I’d like to share one extra notion I came up with concerning that idea. Just like couples’ so-called living together can sometimes be substantially different from their actually being married, so too can a virtual stock market be substantially different from a real stock market. Though many/most of the mechanics/procedures are the same, the psychological factors on the humans involved can sometimes make the situations very different. We’ve all heard of some couples who were great living together but split up soon after they actually married. So too might some people who would be beautiful traders in a virtual stock market, lose their shirts when actual money were at stake. (None of this should be interpreted as my being against any of these 4 things.)
~~~~~~~~~~
Isn’t it interesting that webapp made an offer in starting this topic, then got some valid entries, but never came back!? Rolling Eyes I even PMed webapp on Wed Dec 07, 2005 in case the entries hadn’t been noticed, and my PM is still sitting unread. Hmm!?

webapp must be a Politician -- one who breaks their Promises. (Ooops, those P’s are left over from a different topic.) Laughing

In all seriousness, it’s not the “50 frihost$$$” that matter to me, but the integrity issue. I have no intention of spamming another Frihost topic where webapp might be reading and writing, in order to discuss this one. I do feel it’s valid to Present some Peer Pressure here, even if it will never be read by you know who. Sad Question Very Happy
Hobbit
Sell "emo computer cases" the term emo is just something I use to make fun of. But more of modern rock computer cases would be the right word. I was gonna do this but I'm only 16 so I only did it on photoshop hehe. Embarassed
The Philosopher Princess
Howdy, Hobbit! I don’t guess you mean any of these things do you Smile Question

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo wrote:
Emo

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Emo may refer to:

** Emo (music), "emotional hardcore" musical genre, prevalent amongst classic 80s Washington D.C. bands and their descendents.
** Emo (slang), used to describe the attitudes and fashion seen as stereotypical within the recent emo scene.
** Emo Philips, the American stand-up comedian.
** Keith Emerson, famed British keyboardist/pianist
** Emo, County Laois, a town in the Republic of Ireland
** Emo (oil), an Irish oil company and filling station chain
** The Villa Emo, a 16th century villa by Andrea Palladio
** Emo, Ontario, a Canadian town
** Eric Moulds, wide receiver for the Buffalo Bills (fan slang)
** Emergency Machine-Off operation (more commonly referred to as an ** Emergency Power-Off) or the big red pushbutton that causes same; industrial equipment is frequently required to contain such an EMO function. For example, SEMI standards require a specific type of EMO hardware on all equipment used for semiconductor processing.
** Electronic Money Order, a type of online currency, or eCurrency.

I guess maybe I can picture "emo computer cases". They’re the adult version of emo lunch boxes? I probably would want one. By the way, 16 is an excellent age to start thinking entrepreneurially! Very Happy
hobbes
Lol become the leader of a Fascist party. Lie your way into power in your home country. Then 99% of the citizen are dirt poor, and the 1% (you) have all the money. Also, maybe you have enough money from that to invest in foreign countries, Sell your products for diry cheap (your the leader of a fascist country, you can afford it), then once all your oppositing is bankrupt, slowly raise prices.
Lennon
Ah yeah, fascists. Hitler was one of the politicians who successfully held his pledge of employing 99% of the population like in WWII, the greatest war of the kind, that's why Hitler is so famous. That's a form of business too, war. Coz if you think about it business competition is head against head.
webapp
I haven't been able to check this thred lately. But i should say a lot of ppl have a great ideas for business, I like the idea of Bean pillow, However it is not really practical since the cost of those items is too high.....

Thanks again /
The Philosopher Princess
Welcome back, webapp! Smile

webapp wrote:
I haven't been able to check this thred lately.

Oh, gosh, you were only gone for 5 months. Don’t worry about it. Razz

webapp wrote:
I like the idea of Bean pillow,

Yea!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

webapp wrote:
However it is not really practical

Boo hoo....... Crying or Very sad

webapp wrote:
since the cost of those items is too high.....

I guess I have expensive taste.
~~~~~~~~~~
During the last 3.5 months I have bought even more of those squishy little animal pillows. It's funny that I bought one with the very particular intention of dissecting it to see what the innards look like, and I haven't been able to bring myself to carve it up. Surprised
The Philosopher Princess
Howdy everybody! Now I know what (at least some of) those squishy pillows are filled with: expanded polystyrene beads.

Before cutting and throwing away the tag on this new animal pillow I just bought, I checked the tag; it's filled with 100% expanded polystyrene beads; the outside is 86% nylon and 14% spandex.

I get 11,100 Google hits on this term. webapp, how do you know its cost is unreasonable? Smile
rohan2kool
Write linux CDs of free distros and sell them for a little over the incurred cost of the blank CDs, electricity etc. I've made 7000Rs. by now. I sell:

1. Mandrake Linux 10.1 for Rs. 200
2. Mandriva Linux 2006 for Rs. 260
3. Ubuntu Linux 5.10 for Rs. 100
4. Fedora Core 4 for Rs. 260
5. And when I get Fedora 5, i'll sell it for Rs. 300
Scorpio
Where exactly do you sell theM?

On ebay?
rohan2kool
i sell 'em locally.. to friends, to computer shops etc.
Scorpio
rohan2kool wrote:
i sell 'em locally.. to friends, to computer shops etc.

Oh! All right!
riv
The Philosopher Princess wrote:
Howdy everybody! Now I know what (at least some of) those squishy pillows are filled with: expanded polystyrene beads.

Before cutting and throwing away the tag on this new animal pillow I just bought, I checked the tag; it's filled with 100% expanded polystyrene beads; the outside is 86% nylon and 14% spandex.

I get 11,100 Google hits on this term. webapp, how do you know its cost is unreasonable? Smile

I do not think that the polystrene beads will be too expensive either. I guess it's pretty easy to manufacture, if it's polystrene. And why did you carve one of those squishy animals? You could've just gotten a cushion, which can zip open...
But I thought the idea for stuffing polystrene beads into spandex covers are patented by a company called Squïsh (or similar name) who invented the concept.
The Philosopher Princess
riv wrote:
And why did you carve one of those squishy animals?

I didn’t. Very Happy I’m very anthropomorphic so I couldn’t bring myself to do that. I got the info from the tag before I cut the tag off. And then I surf-researched.

You’re right that the patents would need to be checked. The products that I and others here have in mind are not necessarily not available. If you find a link, please share it. It's not squish.com. Sad
riv
The Philosopher Princess wrote:
riv wrote:
And why did you carve one of those squishy animals?

I didn’t. Very Happy I’m very anthropomorphic so I couldn’t bring myself to do that. I got the info from the tag before I cut the tag off. And then I surf-researched.

You’re right that the patents would need to be checked. The products that I and others here have in mind are not necessarily not available. If you find a link, please share it. It's not squish.com. Sad

Heh, I had to look up "anthropomorphic." Confused
Anyways, the name of the company is written on the tags that both of us cut off and threw out. I do not have a link... Sad
akshar
after putting a movie on DVD u must be wondering about what to do with so much of space left.

How abt a dynamic movie? I know over technology is not so advance but the way we provide equilizers to music players we can have similar arrangement in movie players as wll so that we can add our own effects such as making one color very prominent or may be changing the colors of clothings etc. applying custom chosen logos and nameplates all over the movie etc.
etc.

The idea will be a big hit if can arrive at a technological breakthrough,
justnewbie
akshar wrote:
Study the water resources of the world using satelites and buy the land where you will find lots of underground water in African or poor Asian Countries. After 50 years you can sell that water at very high price to the developed nations.

Lol. I'm sorry to say but this idea
is not going to work well. Watch
Singapore, the state republic with
just few acres across, where did
they get their water supply from?
They purify it themselves, easy,
reverse-osmosis, and a lot of
methods out there.

Why don't you study the oil resources,
I meant underwater petroleum.. and
just buy the land, and you can sell
the oil in astronomical price in just
30 years.
BrianElliott0218
webapp wrote:
Submit best Business ideas

Here are the rules for the contest :
1. Ideas should be original ( Don't copy from entrepreuner.com )
2. Ideas must be practical.... ( No one wants to do agriculture on mars or so )
3. You can come with multiple ideas/ways of doing things
4. You can suggest solutions for some difficult problems

Content ideas will then be polled to get the results what the public consider as a great one.

Preference will be given to ideas which are original/ simple/easy to implement.

Well, if you've read this thread down to my measly post, you might have an interest in what I'm going to show you... There's a new idea site called Kluster. Kluster.com allows you to put ideas up, contribute to other people's ideas and make a possible monetary gain for your efforts. Check out Kluster.com...

~BE