FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Next Competition - Frihost 1-Million Posts Home Page Design?





deanhills
TrueSpeed has reminded us that we will be getting into the million postings territory soon, and that of course is a great reason for celebration.

I thought that leading up to that point, whether we could have a competition for a new design for the Frihost Home Page to commemorate the million postings. Perhaps it could also include a slogan specifically for the one-million posts that can run across the banner of the Frihost Home Page?
Hogwarts
deanhills wrote:
I thought that leading up to that point, whether we could have a competition for a new design for the Frihost Home Page to commemorate the million postings. Perhaps it could also include a slogan specifically for the one-million posts that can run across the banner of the Frihost Home Page?


The issue has never been a lack of available designs; people have offered them before. If Bondings wanted a new design, he would have just asked for one already.

To be honest, having a suggestions forum is a recipe for disaster in the first place. Somebody submits an idea, everybody says "Hoorah, it's a good idea, implement it!", then they seem to expect the person who owns the site to do it.

At this point, the owner of the site wants to scream, "No, it's my site, there isn't significant enough merit in implementing that idea to warrant the investment of my time it would take."

In shorter terms, everybody is keen to come up with ideas they know somebody else would have to implement.
adri
Hogwarts wrote:

blablabla...

Long story short, everybody is keen to come up with ideas they know somebody else would have to implement.


True, yet Bondings should reply more often or make a statement like "Nothing concerning the lay-out of this website will change". I thought there was a (sticky) topic about that in the past, but I can't find it anymore. Smile I guess Bondings may wants to give every suggestion a fair chance of explaining.

But like Hogwarts said, it's always easy to say "Yeah this is a really good suggestion, blablabla" (which takes approx. 1 minute to type) and maybe Bondings too finds it a good suggestion, yet he has to make it (lots of hours of work) and therefor sometimes he has to say "No can do" because he just doesn't have the time to make it, although it is a good suggestion.

Maybe, it is a good thing for Frihost to make some sort of Developer Team that can help Bondings on various tasks (PHP writing, changing lay-outs (HTML, CSS, JS,..) etc.) as needed. They could have some sort of special rank and have an account to the Control Panel of this website. Smile Just playing around with the idea actually, lots of things are possible...


adri
Ankhanu
adri wrote:
Maybe, it is a good thing for Frihost to make some sort of Developer Team that can help Bondings on various tasks (PHP writing, changing lay-outs (HTML, CSS, JS,..) etc.) as needed. They could have some sort of special rank and have an account to the Control Panel of this website. Smile Just playing around with the idea actually, lots of things are possible...


THIS is a really good idea.
Either this, or suggestions should come with some sort of framework for their implementation. This would require some extra time/effort on the suggester's part, but it might also highlight just how much work is involved in all these "great ideas".


Really, 1million posts is a kinda arbitrary thing to celebrate and redesign the page for. I suppose it deserves some sort of recognition, but, an all out page design to say "horray, look at us!" seems excessive.

A simple banner would do the trick and would be easy to add to the site for a little while... it would shift the content a little vertically, but wouldn't cause TOO much headache. Once the million posts hooplah has subsided, it could be removed with little effort and 0 impact on the site design.
Hogwarts
Ankhanu wrote:
adri wrote:
Maybe, it is a good thing for Frihost to make some sort of Developer Team that can help Bondings on various tasks (PHP writing, changing lay-outs (HTML, CSS, JS,..) etc.) as needed. They could have some sort of special rank and have an account to the Control Panel of this website. Smile Just playing around with the idea actually, lots of things are possible...


THIS is a really good idea.


No it isn't. 'Good' is arbitrary. You think it's a good idea, but perhaps Bondings doesn't want to give away access to his website to miscellaneous people on the internet.

Ankhanu wrote:
A simple banner would do the trick and would be easy to add to the site for a little while... it would shift the content a little vertically, but wouldn't cause TOO much headache. Once the million posts hooplah has subsided, it could be removed with little effort and 0 impact on the site design.

This ties in to the problem I highlighted earlier; the issue with a suggestions forum is that it's basically everybody trying to spend Bondings' time for him
adri
Hogwarts wrote:
but perhaps Bondings doesn't want to give away access to his website to miscellaneous people on the internet.


Like we (Ankhanu, Hogwarts and myself) discussed on the Frihost IRC, Bondings could do this in other ways. Here are two ways:

1. Bondings could clone the website/template/forum to another webhosting account where the code can be tested and changed without problems. Discussion can still take place on this forums. Smile

2. Bondings could decide to start all over with his Developers Team. Starting with a fresh and clean phpBB2 or phpBB3 forum on a webhost and eventually coding it completely with a new skin and well-organized code so it can eventually take over the Frihost.com community. Smile

Just two examples though...

Hogwarts wrote:
everybody trying to spend Bondings' time for him


That's of course the reason where a Developers Team would come in handy. Razz The amount of time could be split. Smile
deanhills
Hogwarts wrote:
In shorter terms, everybody is keen to come up with ideas they know somebody else would have to implement.
I get your point, maybe we should rename it from a "Suggestion" to "Make a Wish" Forum. It would be more fun, and we don't have to take any of the suggestions seriously. In fact, when last did we really take a suggestion that seriously, as perhaps we have come to treat suggestions more like wishes than suggestions anyways. Which is quite OK with me.

By the way, we all appreciate how busy Bondings is, and we are more than grateful to be able to post at Frihost as it is a great place AS IS. I would be completely happy if Bondings would decide to put a simple notification about 1-million postings in the Featured Discussions, which he is probably going to do anyways as he did that with 500,000 postings.

I can't imagine Bondings ever being irritated by any of the suggestions. If he doesn't have time he may just ignore the suggestion or jot it in his "to do" list without commenting on it. If he likes the idea and it is doable he may implement it immediately. I remember him doing that once with the "Search" feature, except he came up with his own solution with excellent results. Or if he doesn't think the suggestion is really good, he would either comment on the suggestion if he thinks his comment is warranted, or ignore the suggestion, which is always the easiest, quickest and hazzle-free way of dealing with it. I'm perfectly OK with both.

In the meanwhile we can still dream on. And I'm grateful to Bondings for indulging us.
adri wrote:
That's of course the reason where a Developers Team would come in handy. Razz The amount of time could be split. Smile
Agreed with Ankhanu. THIS is a great idea! Very Happy
Bondings
About making suggestions:
There used to be a list of "things not to suggest". I didn't actually like it (anymore) and removed it. I don't mind that people suggest things over and over again or things that I don't want to do. Even in those cases at least I get to know a bit about what people want and sometimes I change my mind (or he circumstances do).

As mentioned by a lot of people is that I need to both like the suggestion and implement it. And unfortunately I want to do most things by myself, sometimes because I want to learn how to do it or because I want to do it my way or simply because it's not possible without sharing the frihost code (which I don't want to). A good example is the design of the home page, I really want to do it myself to learn designing (I'm not good at it) but also I really want it to be how I have it in mind.

I will definitely try to do something for the million posts, although I'm not sure what yet, apart from a featured discussion. Most likely some kind of competition. I don't think it needs a lot of attention on the home page, though. This is really something that is interesting for existing members, not new members, apart from stressing the "over a million posts". I'll probably put whatever is done for the million posts in the spot deanhills mentioned (under the blog in the middle).
Something like the most new posts from now until the million, or the most new topics or the best post/topic. Or combinate it with picking a random new post/topic (if it isn't decent take another random one) and the people with a lot of decent posts/topics would have more chance to win.
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:
combinate

I am so stealing that 'word'. ^.^
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
As mentioned by a lot of people is that I need to both like the suggestion and implement it. And unfortunately I want to do most things by myself, sometimes because I want to learn how to do it or because I want to do it my way or simply because it's not possible without sharing the frihost code (which I don't want to). A good example is the design of the home page, I really want to do it myself to learn designing (I'm not good at it) but also I really want it to be how I have it in mind.
Thanks for explaining this. I had an inkling about it, but you put it much better than what the inkling was .... Very Happy

Bondings wrote:
I don't think it needs a lot of attention on the home page, though.

This is really something that is interesting for existing members, not new members, apart from stressing the "over a million posts". I'll probably put whatever is done for the million posts in the spot deanhills mentioned (under the blog in the middle).
Good point. Very Happy
Bondings wrote:
Something like the most new posts from now until the million, or the most new topics or the best post/topic. Or combinate it with picking a random new post/topic (if it isn't decent take another random one) and the people with a lot of decent posts/topics would have more chance to win.
If I had a wish, it would be to replicate the farewell discussion/competition of the Philosopher Princess just before she left. Do you think she could be resurrected for just a month or two? OK, this is probably really being wishful now.

Idea More realistically doable? Could we get James007 back for a month or two (leading up to the million postings) as a lead Moderator (or Master of Ceremonies) for a featured discussion topic on "Golden Oldies"? We could look up old discussions that were really good ones and restart the discussions under the "Golden Oldies" heading? Or it could be as simple as discussions about some great Frihost events or characters of the past.
mahirh
Hogwarts wrote:
Hoorah, it's a good idea, implement it!".

they should learn to help rather than command. which would make the job easier for the site owner and so the chances of him deciding to implement it increases and that is why the person who started this thread made it a competition rather than the usual suggestion
Related topics
Set As Home Page Script (IE Only)
New design of the home page
Appearance on the Home Page
put the news of the frihost ,on the home page...
My first home page
I Need some good ideas for my home page.
Design Home Page, Get FRIH$
Not able to find Login link on home page
Making the home page look better.
Update home page - 250 to 500 MB
New home page design
My thoughts on the page design!
Countdown to 1-million posts ........
1 million posts!
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.