FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Language to learn for beginner

cybersa
In my opinion Beginner should learn these basic programming language to learn any other language.

C,C++
Java

First I learned these two things.
Then with the help of this I learned Flash Action script,Android etc...

What you think about this!
or
Any other language needed to learn for beginner?
davidv
Python!

Some of my friends have just started programming and their code is incredibly hideous to look at. Python encourages good coding habits i.e. indentation.
Marcuzzo
most people will say that you should start with C or C++, I think you can start with just about anything.
I started out with simple javascript and after a while with Java,
last year I started taking lessons in the evening and we are mainly using vb.net in the first year.
I think it is better to get a good idea of what programming is all about and when you are comfortable with that you can dive into the documentation of all the methods and properties of a class.
Peterssidan
Programming in C or C++ is quite different experience so I think they deserve to be treated in separation. Learning any of these languages properly takes time. C is the smallest language. Java has a huge standard library but these are things you can look up in the documentation. C++ has a much smaller standard library but the language itself is much more to learn than in Java.

I think it is more important that you learn one language very good. If you are learning by yourself you should not care so much which language it is as long as you like the language and you want to learn it. Motivation is so important! If you want to try another language do it!

At some point I think it is good to also test some assembly language because that gives you better understanding how things really works.
AddySon
I want to learn PHP. Any one can help me?
codersfriend
Yeah I agree that C/C++ is a good language to start with.. some schools also teach
Pascal as a beginner's language but that is usually taught at highschool as an introduction for programming
remram44
codersfriend wrote:
Yeah I agree that C/C++ is a good language to start with...

I don't know, I'd say it depends on what you plan on doing next.

If what you want is a real understanding of how your computer works before you move on to something else, and you can dedicate a lot of time to learning computer skills, then studying C is certainly a good idea. You will learn a lot of stuff about how the memory works, about system stuff too (most of the APIs are in C), you'll always be able to do what you want to (by writing extensions/wrappers for other languages), etc.

But if you want to learn something quickly, without too much pain, and to be able to make real programs immediately, you should definitely start with a scripting language like Python (PyGame is good), maybe Java (it will allow you to program for Android; lwjgl/slick are great for the PC too).

AddySon wrote:
I want to learn PHP. Any one can help me?

I don't recommend PHP, as Ruby (with Ruby on Rails or other lighter frameworks) or Python (with Django, Pyramid, ...) are more convenient languages, have more capabilities (they are general languages) and are faster (thanks to fastcgi).
jcreus
davidv wrote:
Python!

Some of my friends have just started programming and their code is incredibly hideous to look at. Python encourages good coding habits i.e. indentation.

100% Agreed!! Python is the best programming language, without doubt. Nowadays speed and memory aren't a big issue (furthermore, python has improved) and is a really high-level and powerful language.

After Python, I'd recommend learning Java. It introduces new concepts (compilation, variable declaration with type, among others) which can be then used to jump to C or C++ (lower-level than those cited above).

That's the path I've taken, learning also PHP, Perl and JavaScript in the meantime. I recommend it.
belltown
I would recommend starting with PHP, particularly if you're interested in doing any web development, and hosting your web site on one of the many free hosts out there. Frihost allows other languages such as python and perl, but that's not true of all hosts out there. If for whatever reason you want a web site that can be ported to other hosts with a minimum of hassle then I think you'll find PHP to be universally supported on just about any host out there. That's not true of Python and Perl.

However, if you're interested in writing programs that work on your own computer then you can pick any language you want and install the appropriate software on your machine. PHP and Python should be very easy to get up and running. Windows users can also look into Visual Studio Express, a free product from Microsoft that provides support for development in C++, C# and Visual Basic.
daikirai
for desktop programming I think learning C or its derivatives (C++, C#) is a must. If you plan to write Windows apps, foundation of .NET is nice, too. But for web developing needs, PHP is definitely a must for starter. Then you can expand to RoR or Python frameworks... Java is handy to learn too, because it's cross platform.
codersfriend
Our curriculum in School started with
C/C++ followed by COBOL, Java, VB.nET and C# Very Happy
the last thing we learned was PHP
davidv
jcreus wrote:
davidv wrote:
Python!

100% Agreed!! Python is the best programming language, without doubt. Nowadays speed and memory aren't a big issue (furthermore, python has improved) and is a really high-level and powerful language.

After Python, I'd recommend learning Java. It introduces new concepts (compilation, variable declaration with type, among others) which can be then used to jump to C or C++ (lower-level than those cited above).

That's the path I've taken, learning also PHP, Perl and JavaScript in the meantime. I recommend it.

I actually learnt Java and Python at the same time, a bit of a struggle because I had no programming experience prior (aside from pseudocode algorithms) but I think C would be a better set up from Python than Java.

You really start to appreciate abstraction, libraries, modules, packages, classes, the horrendous difficulty of writing a complex piece of code in a relatively low level language compared to how easy it is write it in Python or any high level language. Then, move on to C++, Java and if you really want to know how things work under the bonnet, so to speak... give assembly a shot. Of course, start with languages that deal with GPR because it's more relevant of course don't go nuts and jump into the deep end of the pool. Play with RISC for a bit before hitting CISC.
remram44
jasonbourne9839 wrote:
If you know C than you can easily learn any language.

That doesn't make it the "programming language for beginners". What's the point of learning something so complex when other languages have similar capabilities, allow faster prototyping and are also easier to learn?
ujjwalshrestha
I don't think it matters with which language you learn the basic of programming.... The concept of one programming language more or less can be applied to other language when you move to other one. The key is understand the fundamental concept when you are in the beginner stage.
remram44
ujjwalshrestha wrote:
I don't think it matters with which language you learn the basic of programming....

It matters by the fact that you may fail to unterstand anything if you start with something unnecessarily difficult. The basics can be acquired with a "simpler" language like Python, Ruby or Javascript before you move on to serious stuff like memory management (or even static types).
Sna1L
In other toppic I wrote, that I recomend Pascal.
"If I wanted language that didn't allow me do anything wrong, I'd using Pascal"(c) Linus Thorvalds.

Code:

Begin
WriteLn('Hello, World!');
End.

It's like english Smile
Sorry for my english. I'm russian Smile[/i]
ide_sumarjuki
i started to learn python, but i'm can't decided learning python 2.x or 3.x
django is not supported for 3.x i believe?
remram44
ide_sumarjuki wrote:
i started to learn python, but i'm can't decided learning python 2.x or 3.x
django is not supported for 3.x i believe?

That's right, and it won't be supported for a while. It's not the only library, so knowing about 2.x is always a good idea.
chicanh
Many pepole vote for python, because it very easy to learn, and clean.
but with me, i recommend you C language, it maybe difficult than python but it good for furture, it is easy to learn many language has base syntax-C as java, actionscript..
remram44
chicanh wrote:
i recommend you C language, [...] many language has base syntax-C as java, actionscript..

Yeah well, I don't think syntax takes a lot of time when learning a new language...
jurl
davidv wrote:
Python!

agree Cool

and c/c++ is good for starting...
but if you want to make someone love programing i suggest python or ruby!
shazhouke
Python~~ It's the language for the programming course in MIT.

cybersa wrote:
In my opinion Beginner should learn these basic programming language to learn any other language.

C,C++
Java

First I learned these two things.
Then with the help of this I learned Flash Action script,Android etc...

What you think about this!
or
thanhcuong1990
I think C is programming language for starter.
littlelamb749
Procedural C and C++ is defiantly a good start, but isn't recommended if you want to dip your feet in and try it. It is more of a headstrong running full force language to learn. It's good to mess with micro-controllers when wanting to play with moving parts and logic flow. For beginners I would say Javascript, an interpreted language would be a safe start.
TheRPGLPer
I would say to try and learn languages like C/C++, Java, or Delphi. VB is also easy to learn, and if you are going for game designing, the Game Maker 8 GML code is really easy to learn.
dohzr
I took a computer science class back in grade 10 in high shcool. It started with Game maker which has very easy to learn language and then slowly moved on to Java.
johans
cybersa wrote:

English is fine.. lol Shocked
zacky
davidv wrote:
Python!

Python for a newbie?

I know Python is pretty impressive programming language but i don't personally think it's for newbie though somehow if he can understand everything then maybe Python is best for him.

Anyway for me it is really good to start with C++, VB, or JS for web then he can jump to JAVA, Python, or ASP.
darthrevan
Not a programming language but sometime ago I was able to do more with bash scripting. Though I hear a lot of people say to start with Python. I believe I would start with it if I ever try to get into programming again
Arrogant
Python may be the best language to begin with
It is simple yet incredibly powerful and you dont have to deal with memory allocation and leakage problems in python.Python does that for you.Starting with python is easy
Less codes and more work
Python doesn’t require declaring and typing variables before using. The first time they’re used, they’re declared, and you go out of scope, and they get destroyed.
And yeah it can be used as a calculator Very Happy
shashwatblack
if you're starting early, qbasic would be a good choice.. it's too too simple, and really easy to get into basics of programming.. but if you're more than like 10 years old, get into c. it builds a good base for programming. later you should dive into c++ to get familiar to object oriented programming.. i have yet learned only these two and still learning actually..
another way to go could be python.. the code is really organized and you get good programming habits.. many of my friends started that way..
Sabbadon
you may learn some functional language like dear old C (TCL is funny too, I was a coder aeons ago of some bot on irc)
then you may learn some object-oriented script like Java or C++
GfBL
This is the wrong question to start.
The question is: “Where do I want to go?”
When you have to go visit Mr. X, you don’t ask “Will a take a bicycle, car, bus...” You will ask “where is it?” and then only you select a tool to get there.

Somebody said once to me “When you want program something, the first you do is, shutdown your PC”. You need to learn a methodology.

For basic programming, the syntax is similar for most languages.
The response to your question might be HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP for web.
Perhaps you are 50 years, search for a job. There is a bank you want to work for in your region, you might start with COBOL and SQL.

The first question is: Where do I want to go?
But might also be: Where do I want to go in my life?
-
The other answers are very useful to find a response for the second question, the tool.
venkat_60
I think a beginer should first start with C n C++ ,
and then continue as per ur intrests in which ever area u want to work on .... !! Wink
myfncs
I began with VB.net, took a class on python, and now learning java at college, its easier. Its like i already know what to say, just have to learn the syntax to say it.
ax0692
zacky wrote:
davidv wrote:
Python!

Python for a newbie?

I know Python is pretty impressive programming language but i don't personally think it's for newbie though somehow if he can understand everything then maybe Python is best for him.

Anyway for me it is really good to start with C++, VB, or JS for web then he can jump to JAVA, Python, or ASP.

Have you actually seen Python?? You definitely don't need to "understand everything" to program in Python; it's practically identical to pseudo-code, which makes it very digestible for beginners.

I think Python's a good starting language because it's like having training wheels; you don't have to think too much about what's going on behind the scenes, Python handles that for you so you're free to think about what actually matters: the application you're developing.

Once you've learned how to think about programming, you can take of the training wheels and jump into the lower level languages.