FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wisconsin voters do recall against five neocon politicians

handfleisch
History in the making, direct democracy in action as Wisconsin voters have gathered enough signatures to do recall measures against five of the extremist Republicans who gained office in the last election. Firefighters, police officers, teachers and the workers, the regular people, are banding together to get these guys out of office immediately before they can do any more harm. This is the spirit we need to sweep America, a real grassroots movement against these neocon zealots who represent only the very wealthy, who would sell out the USA for a profit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/wisconsin-recall-drive-continues-to-make-history/2011/03/03/AFTV0c6D_blog.html
Quote:
Wisconsin recall drive continues to make history
By Greg Sargent

In the entire history of the state of Wisconsin, organizers have only managed to trigger recall elections four times.

Today, Dems are set to file the signatures they need for the recall election of their fourth Wisconsin GOP state senator this year: Sheila Harsdorf. Graham Zielinski, a spokesman for the Wisconsin Democratic Party, tells me Dems will submit over 23,000 signatures — nearly 150 percent of the 15,744 required.

Dems have already submitted the signatures required for recall elections against state senators Dan Kapanke, Randy Hopper, and Luther Olsen.

Here’s what this means. Presuming all four elections take place — which they all but certainly will, given the massive amounts of signatures gathered in all four cases — Dems will have matched the amount of recalls triggered in the state’s whole previous history in less than a year.

That’s as clear a demonstration as you could want of the grassroots energy unleashed by Scott Walker’s overreach, and of the organizing successes of his opponents.
IceCreamTruck
This should happen more often, and in the federal government too! It shows the people feel they are in direct danger from the actions of those individuals, or people who just wait till next election to change things.
deanhills
I'd wait for it to happen first before I celebrate however. Easy to write something like this up in a blog. More difficult for it to actually happen for real. Besides which, the "move" looks more like party politics to me, i.e. Dems vs Republicans than a noble cause on behalf of the people versus the oppressor.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
I'd wait for it to happen first before I celebrate however. Easy to write something like this up in a blog. More difficult for it to actually happen for real. Besides which, the "move" looks more like party politics to me, i.e. Dems vs Republicans than a noble cause on behalf of the people versus the oppressor.

The number of signatures from inside that state is impressive though... he must have had some really good talking points to convince that many people that quickly.

Usually people are apathetic, so I'm assuming that number of signatures means the people in office have angered everyone to some extent.