FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

988000 articles posted

truespeed
Only 12000 to the million.
william
So close, just over one deanhills away. Wink

Looking back, we hit half a million in January 2007 and 750,000 in June 2008. It's been nearly three years since the previous landmark. Confused

Let's cut the slack and make it happen.
cybersa
Good Work.
All the best for Frihost.
Soon Frihost will get it.
standready
Considering the size of our community and number of non-starters (like me), that is great!
truespeed
I think Dean can handle this all on his own. Smile

12000 though should be achieved within 2 months going off current posting rates.
adri
I've been watching the Frihost stats for some time now and yes, we are slowly getting to 1 million posts. Which is of course great! My personal goal is to have 2000 posts by the end of this year and although I'm behind schedule, I hope to still make it. Smile

I do hope that we reach those 1 million posts before the end of the year too, which shouldn't be too hard if Deanhills, Ocalhoun, watersoul and some other great posters keep on going like they do/did for quite some time. Smile

adri
Bluedoll
Ok dumb question, one I should maybe know like the back of my hand by now but anyway's here goes - - - - -

so, what is the point, what does it prove, what is the purpose, why?
adri
Bluedoll wrote:

It doesn't prove anything, it's just a fun fact but it can also be used commercially. Razz Bondings, if he wishes, can make a big deal about it and put it on the homepage to attract new members. ("The forums have over 1,000,000 posts and is still growing" something like that should attract some people Smile )

Other than that, we are just happy with this milestone. No other point or use to it. :p

adri
metalfreek
Well I have contributed 465 post in this huge list. Its very pleasing to know that frihost is about to hit that magic million post. Great work everyone.

Metalfreek.
deanhills
william wrote:
So close, just over one deanhills away. Wink

Looking back, we hit half a million in January 2007 and 750,000 in June 2008. It's been nearly three years since the previous landmark. Confused

Let's cut the slack and make it happen.
You're right, it really feels like a very long time, I'd hoped we could have gotten there two years ago!

truespeed wrote:
I think Dean can handle this all on his own. Smile
I doubt it .... Ocalhoun and Bikerman have had a very good go at it as well from a marathon point of view and we've just got another sprinter ..... IceCreamTruck. If he keeps posting like this he's probably going to be the guy that gets us to the million postings that much faster .... Very Happy

Bluedoll wrote:
Ok dumb question, one I should maybe know like the back of my hand by now but anyway's here goes - - - - -

OK let me give this question a go. As far as I know the more posts there are, the greater longevity for Frihost. I see a purpose in that in the big picture of things. When I post on a daily basis however, I don't think purpose. I post one post at a time. As far as I can see most people post to keep their points up so that they can keep their free Website space alive, which is probably the logical purpose as this is how the Discussion Board was set up. But out of this purpose those Frihosters who post have created a community of sorts over the years. I don't think the million posts are really a great shakes deal, but if we reach it, then that will obviously be a great reason for celebration. I look forward to the celebration.
truespeed
If there is a way of identifying the millionth poster,maybe Bondings could award them a free domain.
william
truespeed wrote:
If there is a way of identifying the millionth poster,maybe Bondings could award them a free domain.

I fear that might cause a lot of spamming. If someone sees that there are 999,990 posts, he/she can post repeatedly until the million mark is reached.
truespeed
william wrote:
truespeed wrote:

I fear that might cause a lot of spamming. If someone sees that there are 999,990 posts, he/she can post repeatedly until the million mark is reached.

Maybe take out the code that shows the total post data once it gets within a thousand of the million,that way no-one will know how close they are to being the millionth poster.
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:

It won't be that difficult, heck, you could do it yourself perhaps..
A- Make a new post, preferably as soon after 1M as possible
B- Observe the '#' number in the URL after posting, something like 1023422 (this post)
C- Quickly observe the number of posts for the forum (988177, currently)
D- Determine the number of deleted posts to remove from the account (B - C = ____) (35,245 deleted posts -- moderators have been busy ^.^)
E- Determine the post number of the millionth post (1,000,000 + D = E) (1,035,245 for the purposes of this example, though the exact number will be different.)
F- Type into the URL, http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-(E).html#(E) -- With the result from step E replacing the '(E)' parts.
G- The millionth post will be displayed.

Okay, maybe that is kinda difficult... But the point is, you wouldn't even need any special privileges to figure it out.
*edit*
Changed the numbers for accuracy, after getting the number for this post, however the exact number will probably still be different, because a few posts will probably be deleted between now and then.
william wrote:

You could easily prevent the spamming by not mentioning any reward for it until afterwards. ^.^
Nameless
ocalhoun wrote:

You could easily prevent the spamming by not mentioning any reward for it until afterwards. ^.^

I'd put money on there being spamming anyway, from all the people who just want to be able to say they made the millionth post.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Maybe the reward should simply be the honour of having reached 1-million postings. Nothing more than that? If there is no overly focus on the 1 million mark, then a number of people can put claim to it. Alternatively, we could try and keep the one million mark for Bondings to go through first. Maybe there is a way to freeze postings at the 999999 mark, or better yet, maybe Bondings could code it so that he can write a unique Frihost celebratory 1-million mark post that will automatically get posted at the one million mark??
Asap170
Well I say at one million Frihost needs to purge a little bit. Hehe. Keep it up guys!
eday2010
And yet there is nothing to talk about.
ocalhoun
eday2010 wrote:

Anybody else see the paradox in talking about how there's nothing to talk about?
saratdear
ocalhoun wrote:
eday2010 wrote:

Anybody else see the paradox in talking about how there's nothing to talk about?

Almost as much of a paradox as you saying moderators are busy, when you are one yourself. Razz
ocalhoun wrote:
D- Determine the number of deleted posts to remove from the account (B - C = ____) (35,245 deleted posts -- moderators have been busy ^.^)
kirii
1 million posts..thats amazing Shocked
not many forums can reach such amount of posts
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
eday2010 wrote:

Good point! We'd never get to 0ne Million posts ..... Twisted Evil
Bluedoll
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
eday2010 wrote:

I agree.
On the other hand, you might get there by making all new topics?
saratdear
ocalhoun wrote:

E- Determine the post number of the millionth post (1,000,000 + D = E) (1,035,245 for the purposes of this example, though the exact number will be different.)

Just spotted this, isn't this assuming no posts will be deleted between now and then?
IceCreamTruck
I say we all back off and allow Bondings to write something cool on 1 million mark. It passed through my mind that anyone could get to be the millionth poster, but I hope it's not me. Sure, I've been with frihost for a long time, almost since the beginning, but I still don't feel like I deserve attempting to make sure that my post is what everyone reads when looking for the millionth post. I'd rather it be something cool from Bondings!

I think people will spam for it, but my question is why? Think about what you are doing, and if the opportunity comes up I hope you let someone go who actually can actually speak to frihost hitting this cool mark in history.

Can't hit 50 million without going through 1 million first, and that's why it's important. It's basic format ensures that we build it, and that it encourages community, and I really like what it has brought together, and I think you guys should be proud of this accomplishment.

That's one million times someone posted and others read their comments in a free forum. Long live the free internet, and long live frihost as the unique gift to the internet that it is!

Frihost forever! Applause Dancing
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Just spotted this, isn't this assuming no posts will be deleted between now and then?
Excellent point! Now that's a thought ..... assuming everyone will be at their very best behaviour .... Angel

Would it be possible to code it so that it would be frozen as a one million post? And then further coded to show a list of all the Frihosters who had been active posters at that time and/or over 500 or 1000 posts if they are below the "0" post mark? It could then also be the OP post of a featured thread to commemorate 1 million posts? Part of Bondings' blog?
IceCreamTruck
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...

What I want to know is how many smilies! Smile Dancing Boo hoo! d'oh! Speak to the hand
deanhills
You forgot a Pony Smilie .... Very Happy
saratdear
deanhills wrote:
saratdear wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Excellent point! Now that's a thought ..... assuming everyone will be at their very best behaviour .... Angel

I will be at my best behaviour...Smile and I am sure all of us regulars will be.

But silly, silly me...I misunderstood ocalhoun's post. I thought he was talking about calculating no. of deleted posts now. But yes, even if you post immediately after the millionth post, there is a very slight chance moderators will have deleted a post or two in between. And that's why ocalhoun specifically asked to post 'preferably as soon after 1M as possible'.
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
I will be at my best behaviour...Smile and I am sure all of us regulars will be.

But silly, silly me...I misunderstood ocalhoun's post. I thought he was talking about calculating no. of deleted posts now. But yes, even if you post immediately after the millionth post, there is a very slight chance moderators will have deleted a post or two in between. And that's why ocalhoun specifically asked to post 'preferably as soon after 1M as possible'.
I could not figure out the calculations, but when I saw the phrase "delete post", I immediately thought "spam can". Got it now .... some people could deliberately delete posts or add posts to get to the absolute 1-million mark.
ocalhoun
saratdear wrote:
deanhills wrote:
saratdear wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Yep, that's why I couldn't simply do the math ahead of time and give the proper URL with number included.
IceCreamTruck
ocalhoun wrote:
Yep, that's why I couldn't simply do the math ahead of time and give the proper URL with number included.

Dangit, Ocalhoun, I was counting on you to help me be the millionth poster, so I can rule frihost forever! Haha, no one will ever be as cool as me if I get the millionth post! hahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahaha

Muuuuhahahahahahahahaha *coff* *coff*

I'm practicing my evil laugh!
deanhills
How about practising a millionth post lift-off instead .....?
Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
How about practising a millionth post lift-off instead .....?
Very Happy

I watched your silly little launch video, and it's not bad. I don't know why I'm so easily mesmerized by anything to do with human space travel, or the cool helicopter video intro, but I just start thinking about all the math and all the teamwork that it takes to make it all possible and I'm happy! Smile

The millionth post is a myth until we get out to 50 million, and then we'll pretty much know exactly what the millionth post was, but we won't know exactly what the 50 millionth post is, but when we get out to the 100th million post then we'll probably know what the millionth post was, what the 50 millionth post was and OMG that is a HUGE lobster!

saratdear
IceCreamTruck wrote:
OMG that is a HUGE lobster!

Did you confuse this with the 'hijack this topic' thread? Razz
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
OMG that is a HUGE lobster!

Did you confuse this with the 'hijack this topic' thread? Razz
Now that IS a logical question ....
IceCreamTruck
No, I was just explaining how we won't really know what the millionth post was until we are way past it. Just like we won't know what the 50 millionth post is until we are way past that... then I was attacked by this amazingly large sea creature... kind of distracting! Smile

PS. BTW, saratdear, we're going to need you to come over and hijack that topic today, ok?
saratdear
IceCreamTruck wrote:
PS. BTW, saratdear, we're going to need you to come over and hijack that topic today, ok?

I'll try, but I don't want it to be a failed hijack attempt. Razz
IceCreamTruck
saratdear wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

I'll try, but I don't want it to be a failed hijack attempt. Razz

As a very wise little green man once said: "Do, or do not! There is no try!" Smile

I look forward to it, saratdear!
eday2010
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
eday2010 wrote:

How many of those posts are just filler in order to get points so that your site doesn't disappear? I would say most posts have no real substance. And because of the large number of members, it's hard to have a conversation on a topic with another member because there are so many people who will reply to a topic just to get some points. Like I am doing now. I wouldn't bother replying to this topic at all, but I need points, so I will reply to things just for the sake of getting some points. I personally don't care how many posts or topics this forum has. I feel no attachment or connection to this forum or anyone on it apart from my site being hosted here. I have been here for almost 5 years and do not know one person here, nor have I conversed with anyone regularly. I come by, make my posts, and then leave. There is no sense of community here for me. I have only posted as much as I have needed to because of that. On another forum I belong to, I have twice as many posts as I have here in less time. Why? Because there you can talk to someone. The community is smaller, there is no need to post, so people only do so when they want to or have something to say. So you can have conversations more easily, which builds a sense of community.

Frihost has none of that.
saratdear
eday2010 wrote:
And because of the large number of members, it's hard to have a conversation on a topic with another member because there are so many people who will reply to a topic just to get some points.

But Frihost, or any forum for that matter, is not for private conversation, is it? If you make a new thread, many people WILL reply to it. For one to one conversation we have private messages.

Not shooting you down here...when I was busy with school, I posted just to get points as well. But now, I am getting more involved with the community.

Would you post more at Frihost if there as no requirement to post?
IceCreamTruck
saratdear wrote:
eday2010 wrote:
And because of the large number of members, it's hard to have a conversation on a topic with another member because there are so many people who will reply to a topic just to get some points.

But Frihost, or any forum for that matter, is not for private conversation, is it? If you make a new thread, many people WILL reply to it. For one to one conversation we have private messages.

Not shooting you down here...when I was busy with school, I posted just to get points as well. But now, I am getting more involved with the community.

Would you post more at Frihost if there as no requirement to post?

People get hung up on the requirement if they don't realize what opportunity is provided them here. The opportunity to hear and be heard, and to interact! FriHosts requirement only insures that people come back regularly. If you stop fighting it, and allow yourself to enjoy then FriHost gets addictive! I'm never going back to "just posting" to survive. Smile

FriHost forever!
saratdear
You wouldn't need "just posting" anyway, ICT....do you host your site here?
IceCreamTruck
saratdear wrote:
You wouldn't need "just posting" anyway, ICT....do you host your site here?

I host space.frih.net here, but I'm thinking about changing that to something else because AstroTwister.com, my project that was originally "space.frih.net" has been moved to startlogic.
ankitdatashn
A million posts, wow that's so nice Smile
I can't even imagine that great size!
Let merry, lets rock and keep up the spirit,
Always remember to post when you visit. ( The Frihost! what else! )
adri
Only 1414 posts to go. Dancing

adri
Bluedoll
adri wrote:

adri
I can do that even if everyone else goes on sick leave? Well maybe Drool Ok, well maybe contribute to that goal. Why is this being done again?
deanhills
adri wrote:

adri
Yoohoo!!!! I guess the number has changed, but I sure love when a number rhymes like 1414 ..... but that is certainly a doable number ..... Dancing
Ghost900
Doing a countdown is the only option, if we continually post the number of posts left then we can make it go that much quicker. Think

I doubt I will be the millionth poster as I post very sporadically.

The goal we really need to hit is the most users ever online at a single time, if we could just hit 1500 users.
deanhills
Ghost900 wrote:
Doing a countdown is the only option, if we continually post the number of posts left then we can make it go that much quicker. Think

I doubt I will be the millionth poster as I post very sporadically.

The goal we really need to hit is the most users ever online at a single time, if we could just hit 1500 users.
Right! I've been asking for a count down, but maybe Bondings is too busy with working hard on making sure the Website is running efficiently. So no sweat. I think the one millionth post is probably going to be nebulous. We had a discussion about it, and I think it was Ocalhoun who indicated how easy it would be to just delete a post to get to the one million mark for example. I really don't care who gets there first, all I really want to see is us getting into the million zone. That would be an awesome milestone for Frihost!
truespeed
Quote:
Our users have posted a total of 999000 articles
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Quote:
Our users have posted a total of 999000 articles
We're now at 999075. AWESOME!!!!! 75 posts since your posting a few hours ago, at this rate we're going to get there sooner than we think. Very Happy
SC__Programmer
hmmmm....so when the post count does reach 1 million whats going to be the next goal,1 billion? O_O

ive been busy lately and havent had time to get on,but this post raises it to...
Code:

postcount = 999000

if SCpost == true then
postcount = postcount + 1
end
william
SC__Programmer wrote:
hmmmm....so when the post count does reach 1 million whats going to be the next goal,1 billion? O_O

Laughing That would be one insane goal. Shocked Considering it took over 6 years to get this far, we'll be here for 6000 years. Razz Not sure if the internet will be very relevant by then. But even so, it's a huge accomplishment for any forum to reach that mark and, so far, only Gaia has crossed the mark with 1,938,934,148 (and constantly rising) posts.

As for our goal of one million, only 705 to go now.
deanhills
Only 363 posts to 1 million ................... I LOVE this number ..... Dancing
Tesa323
Wow 1 mil :O not many forums can suceed this much.W
Ghost Rider103
Wow I did not realize how close we actually are. We may possible hit it today.

For people being worried about the person to hit the official 1 million post mark, I would be honored to delete it if it is spam. Then I could say I'm the only person to DELETE the official 1 millionth post. Laughing

I'll be on the look out. Very Happy
jmlworld
truespeed wrote:

Well, Deanhills has posted 12,000 since he joined us. He could post the remaining posts single-handedly.
IceCreamTruck
william wrote:
SC__Programmer wrote:

Laughing That would be one insane goal. Shocked Considering it took over 6 years to get this far, we'll be here for 6000 years. Razz Not sure if the internet will be very relevant by then. But even so, it's a huge accomplishment for any forum to reach that mark and, so far, only Gaia has crossed the mark with 1,938,934,148 (and constantly rising) posts.

As for our goal of one million, only 705 to go now.

I think the internet will be more and more relevant as we go along. More and more and more devices are being hooked up to it... I don't think humanity will ever reach a point where the internet just is not useful to us any more. It's not a technology ... it's a way of communication between computers and humans alike. What I see happening is the old networks (analog, and wired) falling before the Internet's superior communications platform. One day we won't have cell phone networks, and TV networks, and GPS networks... it will all be labelled "the internet". When you hook up to the web of the future you will have ability to compute, phone, TV, and know your location on the globe. For now all of these systems are still operated separately. The lines between them will continue to blur, but the internet will never loose it's usefulness. Even if the technology changes so much that a wired or wireless connection is not required we will still have an "internet".

Thanks Al Gore! roflcopter!
IceCreamTruck
jmlworld wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Well, Deanhills has posted 12,000 since he joined us. He could post the remaining posts single-handedly.

Here's the plan... as soon as we hit 1,000,000 then we'll have Deanhills quickly write 1,000,000 more posts so we instantly go from the 1million birthday to 2 million over night.

OK, so that's the plan!
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
jmlworld wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Here's the plan... as soon as we hit 1,000,000 then we'll have Deanhills quickly write 1,000,000 more posts so we instantly go from the 1million birthday to 2 million over night.

OK, so that's the plan!
No sweat .... Twisted Evil
saratdear
IceCreamTruck wrote:

OK, so that's the plan!

We HAVE hit 1 million IceCreamTruck....where have you been? Razz
IceCreamTruck
saratdear wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

OK, so that's the plan!

We HAVE hit 1 million IceCreamTruck....where have you been? Razz

We better get Dean cracken on the other 1000000 now! Smile I noticed after I wrote this post that frihost has hit 1mil. I was wondering what comment I was going to write about it... still thinking.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
We better get Dean cracken on the other 1000000 now! Smile I noticed after I wrote this post that frihost has hit 1mil. I was wondering what comment I was going to write about it... still thinking.
Looking forward to the comment. I have to think of my next goal now. Think
ocalhoun
IceCreamTruck wrote:

We better get Dean cracken on the other 1000000 now! Smile

RELEASE THE (Dean) CRACKEN!

Or the Kraken, whatever. As long as whatever it is makes another million posts.

Non-spam posts, by the way. Deleting a million spam posts would get tedious. ^.^
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
RELEASE THE (Dean) CRACKEN!
Ocalhoun to the rescue as always .... thanks .... phew!!!!

By the way Bondings may be upping the ante for us with recreating our million postings goal (by minus'ing the AWITs, spam posts etc), so I'm looking forward to that. Amazing that there are approx 500,000 of those although if one considers this over six years, maybe it is not really that bad. I like to create goals for myself and the million posts have been a goal for so long it was almost an anti-climax when we finally arrived at one million posts, like what now ..... ? Very Happy
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Amazing that there are approx 500,000 of those although if one considers this over six years, maybe it is not really that bad.

Um... math is hard... but wasn't the actual amount more like 50,000?
500,000 would mean that half of all posts were spamcanned or awits, et cetera... not good. O.o
deanhills
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Sorry, you're absolutely right of course. It's 50,000. That would probably take us about 10 months if we can maintain 5,000 posts per months. Well worth it.
jmlworld
deanhills wrote:
By the way Bondings may be upping the ante for us with recreating our million postings goal (by minus'ing the AWITs, spam posts etc)[...]

So what are these AWITs thing anyway? I've seen them quite long ago and I didn't bother asking until today?
saratdear
jmlworld wrote:
So what are these AWITs thing anyway? I've seen them quite long ago and I didn't bother asking until today?

Here you go.