FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Upgraded ubuntu causing problems

byronbrown
I am relatively new to linix. I was using ubuntu v 4.08 and it worked fine, when I upgraded, the system no longer automatically recognized my wireless adapter. I have tried three different versions and none recognize and activate my adapter. If I go back and reinstall the earlier versiion. It works fine. I have tried three different adapters and the old system recognized all of them, but none are found with the newer versions of Ubuntu. There must be settings somewhere that Must be adjusted, but, I cannot find them.

Can anyone Help.

UPDATE !!

I used wine (the windows emulator on the installation disc,) it worked and the wireless is working OK.

Thanks for the help offered. I was not able to update the wireless adapters by any other means. I hope to learn to do those type operations soon.
cybersa
Upgrade your Wireless Adapter drivers.
FunDa
Use the apt-get of GUI for installing software to install all required drivers. Ubuntu does not come by default with proprietary drivers but they can be installed for free.
loyal
This is a problem I have encountered with the last few versions of Ubuntu. It's extremely annoying spending ages trying to figure out how to make it work. This is one of the big problems with Ubuntu: some things just don't work out of the box...
FunDa
Yes, very true. If Ubuntu worked out of the box, I would recommend it for many of my friends. But since all the extra but essential stuff like mp3 playback, video codecs, graphics drivers have to be installed "though a DIRECT internet connection", I don't recommend it to many new-to-computer friends. Especially since many of those have dependency packages

In windows, I can just download the installer in my computer and give it to them in a USB drive.

Dependencies like .NET framework are usually installed in he service pack itself, or I can give that too in the USB pen drive without worrying if I missed a dependency package
jwellsy
I gave up on linux after having to reformat the hard drive to be able to revert to previous versions after several different upgrades. It's OK if you absolutely no money for an OS, other than that for me it's a royal PITA.
loyal
jwellsy wrote:
I gave up on linux after having to reformat the hard drive to be able to revert to previous versions after several different upgrades. It's OK if you absolutely no money for an OS, other than that for me it's a royal PITA.

I wonder if it would be a stretch to say that Mac OS is an example of what Linux could be...
Fire Boar
jwellsy wrote:

So how do you downgrade Windows from, say, Vista to XP? That's right - reformat the hard drive.

Actually it's entirely possible to downgrade a distribution, or even switch distributions. You just need to know what you're doing. In Debian (and its derivatives) for example, you can change your /etc/apt/sources.list file to list the repositories for the old distribution and do an apt-get dist-upgrade. But it's usually best to be running more recent versions of software anyway.
jwellsy
I've never had to downgrade a version of windows.
FunDa
jwellsy wrote:
I've never had to downgrade a version of windows.

Except Windows ME and Windows Vista.

All the others, I have had to reinstall many times. (Format and reinstall)
Lost a lot of data before I figured out how to make backups.

If you downgrade a version of Windows, many of the new software would become unusable, so that is another reason I did not downgrade many Windows installations