FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Monthly how many GB you download?

cybersa

I will download 8-10GB per month.

Because I'm having very slow dialup internet connection.
adri
Depends, sometimes we (me, my sister and my parents) have 10Gb a month, the other month we have 40Gb.

adri
IceCreamTruck
don't know for sure, but it's in terabites. That's just my portion... I'm sure if you combined me and my roommate, then it would be a google! Smile
k_s_baskar
using unlimited bandwidth plan, so i did't calculate download usage /month.
Nameless
If you're downloading 10 GB a month you're either NOT using a very slow dial-up connection, or you have a lot of patience and should probably just upgrade. I use 10-15 GB a month, and you don't reach that amount without some excess video/game/whatever downloads ...
cybersa
Its speed is upto 40KB.
I download Games,Movie and Videos mostly.
So i reach 8GB easily.

Mostly i will download these thing on Night only.
Then i go to sleep.
metalfreek
I think I download about 20-30GB of data every months.
driftingfe3s
My connection is decent. I download and a lot of stuff and my family streams a bunch of Netflix stuffs.

My router statistics show that for March I downloaded 274.80 GB. So far in April I've downloaded 149.83 GB.
deanhills
driftingfe3s wrote:
My router statistics show that for March I downloaded 274.80 GB. So far in April I've downloaded 149.83 GB.
If I may ask, how does one check the router statistics? Embarassed
mukesh
about 20 - 30 Gb per month download.
chatrack
HI,

I have usual dial up connection. I download about 1GB per month.

It can vary in time to time. When there is less work load, i used to download some
software or music.
Niels
I guess around 5 :S
I found that muutch ><!
lightwate
I'm not really sure but I think I'm only at around 2-4GB per month.

My dsl connection is only at 512kbps max and on average i think around 2-3 of us use it at the same time. So I can't really download much. Oh, and i don't have that much patience Smile)

Off topic: when I was in grade 5 and using a dial-up connection, I said that once I get a dsl, I"ll learn everything there is to learn at the internet (like programming, photoshop, etc). though that didn't really happen (hmm maybe around 30%). then I just discovered facebook lol

may i ask you guys what your internet speeds are? just curious :\
adri
lightwate wrote:

may i ask you guys what your internet speeds are? just curious :\

There is a specific topic for that question:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-79175-5.html

adri
Helios
Are there any tools which log how much bandwidth I use?
I have an unlimited bandwidth contract with my ISP, so I don't care usually. I know that I download a lot though. Sometimes around 10GB per week, sometimes more.

EDIT: my router reports that 141847892 packets have been received in the past 32 days.
This I guess results in about 75GB of data.
badai
Helios wrote:
Are there any tools which log how much bandwidth I use?
I have an unlimited bandwidth contract with my ISP, so I don't care usually. I know that I download a lot though. Sometimes around 10GB per week, sometimes more.

EDIT: my router reports that 141847892 packets have been received in the past 32 days.
This I guess results in about 75GB of data.

i use bitmeter II

http://codebox.org.uk/pages/bitmeter2

so, how's my download? using 5Mbps connection.

ProfessorY91
Badai, I have to say, thats a pretty impressive tally. I use around 50-60 GB / month. Not ashamed to say that I torrent all sorts of media. I also run a Halo CE server which pushes me over the 45GB limit. The college I'm at has gotten so tired of sending me bandwidth usage warnings that they've put me in charge of the server (I work for the IT dept here). For the win!!
pll
In a month I can download one Gigabyte wirelessly (on my iphone) + something like 5-10gb depending on how many movies I stream or download !

Usually I'm in 10-12 Gigabytes for both (Download/Upload) that's good use but I remember one month which I went over 80Gb (the overage bill was impressive too!) Wink
nepalstar
cybersa wrote:

I think I also do almost same but don't you feel difficult downloading 8-10 GB by using dialup internet connection..? by the way anybody know the software which shows download and upload size in time duration...!
Helios
nepalstar wrote:
cybersa wrote:

I think I also do almost same but don't you feel difficult downloading 8-10 GB by using dialup internet connection..? by the way anybody know the software which shows download and upload size in time duration...!

Check out badai's post above.
driftingfe3s
deanhills wrote:
driftingfe3s wrote:
If I may ask, how does one check the router statistics? Embarassed

Not all routers may have the ability to store statistics. I'm using a Linksys router running the custom firmware DD-WRT. For me I access the router though the default address (192.168.1.1) then go to STATUS then go to the WAN tab and it shows the bandwidth statistics there.
ChrisCh
I manage to get through about 80-120GB per month on a 12mbps connection... It never used to be that high when I only used the internet on one computer, but now that I have so many gadgets connected to my wi-fi in addition to the PC (Nintendo Wii, 2x iPod Touches, iPad, 2x Nokia smart phones, Bluray player, Pay-tv box for movies on demand, media sharing box on my tv, a network media server, 2x internet connected printers, and 2x laptops), the internet goes down rather quickly I find! :p Speed is never a problem though - as I've configured the Quality of Service (QoS) router settings so that general web browsing always has the highest priority, and other ports (eg file downloads) have a lower priority if I'm trying to browse the web - regardless of which device I'm using Very Happy
ms_j
I have no idea. I have unlimited internet, in every way. So I just don't care. I don't have to pay attention.
Radar
Less than I think.
IceCreamTruck
Radar wrote:
Less than I think.

This is an amazingly realistic person! We all should be so honest with ourselves!
ProwerBot
I use probably 7gb per month, that's pretty much the average for all of last year, but it goes up maybe .5gb per year.
Ankhanu
pll wrote:
In a month I can download one Gigabyte wirelessly (on my iphone) + something like 5-10gb depending on how many movies I stream or download !

is that 5-10Gb on your iPhone? Or your home system?
If your iPhone, what provider/package are you using? I have one of the better packages from Bell giving me 6Gb/mo of data on my iPhone, I've gone up to my limit many times, but took pains not so surpass it to avoid overage fees.

If its your home system, disregard my question Wink
robinio_1965
For me this is very different per month.

Some months i'm using 35 GB and other months only 5 GB.
As a DJ with special days we make a special playlist and what we cant get from our own computer we get from the internet.
IceCreamTruck
Ankhanu wrote:
pll wrote:

is that 5-10Gb on your iPhone? Or your home system?
If your iPhone, what provider/package are you using? I have one of the better packages from Bell giving me 6Gb/mo of data on my iPhone, I've gone up to my limit many times, but took pains not so surpass it to avoid overage fees.

If its your home system, disregard my question Wink

My phone company limits me to 10gig data. It's a bummer, but I haven't ever hit it... close a couple times, so I know I eventually will hit that mark, but it's not a big issue at the moment for me.
Ankhanu
IceCreamTruck wrote:
My phone company limits me to 10gig data. It's a bummer, but I haven't ever hit it... close a couple times, so I know I eventually will hit that mark, but it's not a big issue at the moment for me.

For clarification, are you talking cellular/mobile, or DSL/dial-up? For example, Bell, whom I mentioned above as my cellular provider, offers both cellular and to-the-home service/data plans, but the two have very different limitations and prices (and data speeds).
IceCreamTruck
Ankhanu wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

For clarification, are you talking cellular/mobile, or DSL/dial-up? For example, Bell, whom I mentioned above as my cellular provider, offers both cellular and to-the-home service/data plans, but the two have very different limitations and prices (and data speeds).

Ankhanu, sorry I wasn't clear: cell phone has 10gig data limit. I have no home phone lines for internet or otherwise.
Ankhanu
10Gb cellular, that's damn good. At least for Canada, I don't think anyone here offers that much... and if they do, it's probably >$150/mo.
I was lucky to get on a good data promotion when I got my phone; 6Gb/mo for $30 (+ at least $20 for voice to qualify); so for $55+tx, I get 12x the data that most people get for the same price (Most basic voice/data plans here are $50ish/mo for 500Mb + voice options). When I'm away from home working, I tether a lot and have to regulate myself so that I don't go over my limit.

As far as I know, my home cable internet is unlimited... not sure how much I use, but it probably fluctuates between 10-100Gb in a month (normally in the lower end of the scale), depending on how much video and music I work with.
the-guide
Can't evaluate how much. I downloaded a lot to my machine and finally, many of them were left as a
junk without even opened. Don't and never understand myself. Laughing

Insanity
A lot, but I don't think I would be hit by those caps that are being imposed by the internet service providers in my area.
speeDemon
I download movies mostly.. so that can go upto 20GBs easily, apart from that the regular music, video downloads/viewing keeps going on too..
Ghost900
I would say I use anywhere from 10GB to 20GB a month though most of that is dependent upon Steam game downloads.
IceCreamTruck
the-guide wrote:
Can't evaluate how much. I downloaded a lot to my machine and finally, many of them were left as a
junk without even opened. Don't and never understand myself. Laughing

How long have you been experiencing these symptoms? When you download and don't watch it how does that make you feel? Let's talk about your mother... would you say you had a peaceful childhood?
IceCreamTruck
Ghost900 wrote:
I would say I use anywhere from 10GB to 20GB a month though most of that is dependent upon Steam game downloads.

Definitely an addict... there's no hope for this one either! We're going to need a bigger shovel.
eday2010
For me it varies. In April I downloaded 133GB, and in March 234GB. In January or February I was up to about 400GB downloaded. I am starting to run out of hard drive space.
IceCreamTruck
eday2010 wrote:
For me it varies. In April I downloaded 133GB, and in March 234GB. In January or February I was up to about 400GB downloaded. I am starting to run out of hard drive space.

Cache the internet... you don't have to download the whole thing! Smile Al Gore "took initiative in creating the internet", so he'll be pissed unless you put it back when you are done!
xevo
On average - 60-70gb (mostly TV and a few movies), the most I have ever downloaded in a month is 150gb I think...
But for the next few days I will be out of town and I will be using mobile internet and I can't really download anything, hopefully I will not go above 300mb...
komkom
30 - 40 GB download
spinout
hm, I stream alot of telly nowadays so that is not easy to count!?? or can I check it via an application?
saratdear
@spinout - you can use Netmeter. That's the tool I use.

I use an average of 3-4 GB. It has gone up to 10, but that's about it. I can't imagine 400GB with my speed. Smile
kitsrock
I normally calculate the combined usage of DL+UL (as per my bandwidth limit set by my ISP).

And combined, I use some 100 Gb/m. A few tv shows here and there, some youtube, bit of school related things and I'm sometimes at my limit within a week. Then I'm left high and dry for the rest of the month.

I blame school related stuff (1-4 gigs/day easy with lecture recordings, notes, zipped article packs, etc..)
IceCreamTruck
kitsrock wrote:
I normally calculate the combined usage of DL+UL (as per my bandwidth limit set by my ISP).

And combined, I use some 100 Gb/m. A few tv shows here and there, some youtube, bit of school related things and I'm sometimes at my limit within a week. Then I'm left high and dry for the rest of the month.

I blame school related stuff (1-4 gigs/day easy with lecture recordings, notes, zipped article packs, etc..)

I would pick a different service provider. That's horrible
ankitdatashn
Its normally around 3 GB per month, the plan is 2.5 GB and there is a charge over it which increases steeply hence I try to remain within that limit, if it appears that it would break before the month end then I surf through gprs internet... Smile
IceCreamTruck
ankitdatashn wrote:
Its normally around 3 GB per month, the plan is 2.5 GB and there is a charge over it which increases steeply hence I try to remain within that limit, if it appears that it would break before the month end then I surf through gprs internet... Smile

Switch to one with no maximums cause this is making me want to cry! Sad
chatrack
Hi,

I have upgraded to broad band. Still 1 GB available per month. I am planning to change it to
2GB and in mean time to Unlimited plan after 6 months.

I upgraged becouse I need online Skype voice chat.

Found that 1 hour of Skype voice chat there is 60MB of to-and-fro data transfer.
eday2010
IceCreamTruck wrote:
eday2010 wrote:

Cache the internet... you don't have to download the whole thing! Smile Al Gore "took initiative in creating the internet", so he'll be pissed unless you put it back when you are done!

I download mostly TV series. Old ones I used to watch as a kid as well as ones that were on before I was born. Sounds bad, but doing that has led me to buying a lot of DVD sets I normally would have never considered purchasing. So illegally downloading TV series has led me to purchasing more.

Then there is the current stuff that I download each week since we don't have cable anymore. Running my site (Retromags.com), also eats up some bandwidth when I am uploading/downloading magazine scans.
IceCreamTruck
eday2010 wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
eday2010 wrote:

I download mostly TV series. Old ones I used to watch as a kid as well as ones that were on before I was born. Sounds bad, but doing that has led me to buying a lot of DVD sets I normally would have never considered purchasing. So illegally downloading TV series has led me to purchasing more.

Then there is the current stuff that I download each week since we don't have cable anymore. Running my site (Retromags.com), also eats up some bandwidth when I am uploading/downloading magazine scans.

Same for me. My upload sure spikes when I'm working on my websites! Smile
balz4
My downloading is unlimited almost
wombatrpgs
Huh, out of curiosity, how much bandwidth traffic just regular browsing incur, apart from downloading media and whatever? I've never really checked...
IceCreamTruck
wombatrpgs wrote:
Huh, out of curiosity, how much bandwidth traffic just regular browsing incur, apart from downloading media and whatever? I've never really checked...

It's always going up as people add more and more images, and media to the web pages, and it varies from site to site. It used to be that people respected dial up users in that they did not load home pages down very much, and this is still illustrated beautifully in the difference between google, and yahoo's homepages. Google has always been very minimal with dial-up users in mind... they don't want to exclude anyone. Yahoo's home page was larger than 2 meg at one point in time, probably still is, and will take quite a while to become viewable if your bandwidth is still in the KB.
Josso
I would say close to 100GB every month, as that is my cap (on "unlimited" 8mb) and sometimes I will go over. It might be worth pointing out that years ago when I had my 1/2mb connections and the internet around here actually worked properly I am sure I would go over that on a regular basis and limitations weren't there, or weren't as heavily in place.

(THIS IS IMPORTANT IF YOU ARE IN THE UK, LISTEN)
drunkenkoz
Well for me I am constantly downloading and uninstalling games. I do reviews for game sites, so I have to be able to test various games, but manage room on my computer at the same time. I probably download anywhere from 15-30 GB a month.
IceCreamTruck
drunkenkoz wrote:
Well for me I am constantly downloading and uninstalling games. I do reviews for game sites, so I have to be able to test various games, but manage room on my computer at the same time. I probably download anywhere from 15-30 GB a month.

So you are a software tester of sorts. That's cool, so am I! Smile
Utopia GFR
I'd say between 5 and 10 GB per month.

I believe most of my data consumption goes with my 360 live connection and I don't download games and movies with my computer (even though I enjoy watching streamed movies) Smile

cybersa wrote:

wombatrpgs
IceCreamTruck wrote:
It's always going up as people add more and more images, and media to the web pages, and it varies from site to site. It used to be that people respected dial up users in that they did not load home pages down very much, and this is still illustrated beautifully in the difference between google, and yahoo's homepages. Google has always been very minimal with dial-up users in mind... they don't want to exclude anyone. Yahoo's home page was larger than 2 meg at one point in time, probably still is, and will take quite a while to become viewable if your bandwidth is still in the KB.

I've noticed that over time, Google's started to get more and more hidden stuff going on on their page though. The recent javascript introductions have been getting weird, especially for the image searches. Luckily it still operates with javascript disabled. Hm, I might test out Yahoo's service, because I doubt the same is true.
deanhills
wombatrpgs wrote:
Hm, I might test out Yahoo's service, because I doubt the same is true.
It would be great if you could. I've noticed some changes in Yahoo in the last few weeks. I'm no expert but I think Yahoo has tried to improve its speed, and I get a sense of more hidden things going on too, similar to Google.
wombatrpgs
deanhills wrote:
It would be great if you could. I've noticed some changes in Yahoo in the last few weeks. I'm no expert but I think Yahoo has tried to improve its speed, and I get a sense of more hidden things going on too, similar to Google.

I gave it a run, and surprisingly, everything worked. Pretty much all of the functionality was there too; it wasn't some stripped down version. Well, the cycling news stuff didn't work, and those obnoxious popout ads weren't there, but it felt like the same site. I was impressed.
Asap170
I usually get around 15Gb - 20Gb a month. That's only me though. Everyone else in my family isn't too technologically advanced.
alvarorojas4
It depends sometimes 20GB, sometimes 5GB
wombatrpgs
Well, just finished a 20gb torrent in about a week... I guess that says something. Oh well.
ABIRAM
Internet is all about Entertainment, i download songs, movies, software and other entertaining material on internet and my total download volume is about 18 to 20 gb
chatrack
Recently I have upgraded to Broad Band Unlimited.... Vahh.. What shall i Download..still confused.. Smile
wombatrpgs
Hm... Does anyone have metered internet? I mean, not the sort that has a cap, but the sort where you pay for how much you download.
godbandos
10-15 GB... Mostly on movies.
ankitdatashn
I download approximately a couple of GigaBytes,
And surf only the usual sites,
I am not an ardent downloader,
I am like a casual boater... Smile
thnn
Generally over our internet connection in a month we transfer around 300GB, sometimes more, sometimes less
wombatrpgs
ankitdatashn wrote:
I download approximately a couple of GigaBytes,
And surf only the usual sites,
I am not an ardent downloader,
I am like a casual boater... Smile

Huh, so I guess that's a good estimate of how much we'd all do without the rampant downloading.
SC__Programmer
10 MB Very Happy

i dont download stuff really,i mostly have everything lol.
DavidBerman
last month i received my internet bill in which my download volume was almost 18 GB
sark
I Download ~10 GigaBytes a month. But I can download 2 GygaBytes a month, and the next month, I can download 15 Gygabytes. This is not very accurate. My Downloads are, for a very big part, Games, and the rest are Films. I hate music (berk).
wombatrpgs
SC__Programmer wrote:
10 MB Very Happy

Wait, ha, how can you get away with that little? Is 10mb just the explicit downloads? You'd definitely incur more than that just be surfing alone.
SC__Programmer
wombatrpgs wrote:
SC__Programmer wrote:
10 MB Very Happy

Wait, ha, how can you get away with that little? Is 10mb just the explicit downloads? You'd definitely incur more than that just be surfing alone.

nah,i was talking about how much i download stuff.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:

Definitely a conspiracy! Smile They are all farming our web infos now!
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
deanhills wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:

You're back! Or is it a mirage? Very Happy

No, not a conspiracy. Yahoo is just catching up with Google. Even their search box is beginning to look the same. I'd not be surprised if Google takes them over one of these days.
Shocked
mahirh
most of the websites i visit are bandwidth heavy.By the way , why do i care.i have unlimited cap.
A picture is worth a thousand words ....
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
deanhills wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:

You're back! Or is it a mirage? Very Happy

No, not a conspiracy. Yahoo is just catching up with Google. Even their search box is beginning to look the same. I'd not be surprised if Google takes them over one of these days.
Shocked

I completely agree. Honestly, I'd like to know the reason that Google has not bought Yahoo yet... maybe to avoid monopoly litigation? Yahoo is probably serving as Google's impotent competition, and if google were to buy Yahoo that would begin a bunch of antitrust litigation against Google that they are trying to avoid just like Microsoft did all those years ago.

Yes, Deanhills, I am back. I have been wanting to come over and say hi to everyone for a minute as things have calmed down for me after my move.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Yes, Deanhills, I am back. I have been wanting to come over and say hi to everyone for a minute as things have calmed down for me after my move.
Guess that house warming party must have kept you quite busy for weeks and weeks ..... he he ... Twisted Evil
adriane14
nice need to work on that
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Guess that house warming party must have kept you quite busy for weeks and weeks ..... he he ... Twisted Evil

Actually I moved while I was taking project live at work, and my boss took a vacation right then, so my life has been hell for a little while, but things are starting to return to normal. It's the little work you do all the time in an apartment that eventually starts to really save you time in the long run, and between getting stuff out of boxes that I need and spending a lot of extra hours at work I have been crashing really hard at night. It came up in my mind many times that I have wanted to come back over to frihost and see how everyone is doing.

I hope you northern hemisphere guys are enjoying a warm summer with me! I'll post a real update as to what is going on in my life soon enough.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I hope you northern hemisphere guys are enjoying a warm summer with me! I'll post a real update as to what is going on in my life soon enough.
Well where I am it's the closest to Hell - we get temps up to 50 degrees Celsius here at times. Serves me right for living in this neck of the woods .... Twisted Evil

OK, back on topic. I don't have a clue how many Gigabytes I download in a month. But it has to be a big number.
wombatrpgs
deanhills wrote:

Shocked

Is Yahoo even remotely a threat to Google though? It seems to me that Yahoo's still in decline. It seems to be losing its talent pool.
vidafenomenal
might be a lot , might be nothing.
foumy6
I don't think I download more than 10GB per month except maybe a few time, but that was only because I was downloading World of Warcraft, or something like that.
shivaghimire
The time not too long for emerging internet in my country. For home use, we mostly use ADSL connection of 128 kbps. For a download of 1 GB it needs to on the computer for the whole night. Last month I think I downloaded about 12-15GB. For this most of the night my computer was on.
Insanity
My total downloaded for the month would probably be around 20 GB or so. Not too much, but it varies depending on where I am and what I am interested in the month. Back at home when my internet isn't so great, I don't download that much. When I'm at school though, I usually have super fast internet, so I tend to download a lot more.
Aredon
I don't think I go much above 10GB in a given month, but I don't think I have a bandwidth cap.
Zuex
Really depends on the Playstation store for me, if a few demo's come out, in a month I could download around 6GB max. Otherwise I barely download Smile
wombatrpgs
Ha, I never took console downloading into consideration... not that I do it much.
odayguide
maybe a lot, maybe nothing. not sure of this.
Ryox
With me & Downloading, I would probably safe in Terabytes, << Knowing me. I am a download freak.. I download everything from Games to Movies to TV Seasons << so yea.. hahaha
wombatrpgs
Ryox wrote:
With me & Downloading, I would probably safe in Terabytes, << Knowing me. I am a download freak.. I download everything from Games to Movies to TV Seasons << so yea.. hahaha

Terabytes? That sounds like it would fill up a hard drive rather quickly...
u16888
my Broad Band plan is Unlimited 8mb. so I don't care about downloading cap a month, it depends on the drama renewing frequent and my hard drive size. I think My total downloaded around 12 GB a day, about 3 movies.

some time I will go to Philippine do business trip, I can't download there, Turtle speed with big payment.
wombatrpgs
u16888 wrote:
my Broad Band plan is Unlimited 8mb. so I don't care about downloading cap a month, it depends on the drama renewing frequent and my hard drive size. I think My total downloaded around 12 GB a day, about 3 movies.

some time I will go to Philippine do business trip, I can't download there, Turtle speed with big payment.

Wait, what do you do with all that? Watch 3 movies a day?
Insanity
I go to school now with a very strict ResNet policy, so I don't want to torrent or do anything illegal. So I don't download that much, although since I have NetFlix now, the amount of movies and other stuff I download or stream might go up exponentially. If we're only talking about things we download, it'll probably be a few GB a month, or whatever I can download legally.
william
Hmm, just checked with my router and it seems I did 174 GB last month. This month, so far, I'm up to 133 GB. I'm fairly confident there's a 250 GB cap, which might be a problem, so I guess I'll ease down a little bit.

To be fair though, I have several computers hooked up to this network, HD Netflix streaming, Pandora streaming, cloud storage, Steam game downloads, and so much more that a cap at 250 GB seems like a backwards move.
noob1001
About 150-200GB a month. 174 last month.
I have a uncapped account Very Happy
Radar
I'm never quite sure how much I personally download. I usually think it's less than I would expect.
wombatrpgs
Radar wrote:
I'm never quite sure how much I personally download. I usually think it's less than I would expect.

Well, if you expect less than you expect, does that still apply?
LostOverThere
Probably around 25GB a month. I don't do much video streaming or anything, so I keep my downloads at a minimum.

Internet in Australia is notoriously bad, especially if you're in an area which can't get ADSL2.