FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to enable/on SSH

macky
As the title says, i'm wondering how enable or on this SSH on my account here in frihost. I don't know where to post this question so i guess this is the right place it to be.

I was just taught by a friend of mine to use SSH, unfortunately, when i view my account, it says there that it is currently OFF and i don't know how to enable or on this one.

Thanks in advance
- Smile
IceCreamTruck
Webhosting support will get you a real answer faster than posting in general chat! Also, you might get unwanted attention here.

You can remove and repost in Webhosting Support if you'd like to put it where it belongs/help keep the forums clean.

I hope this helps!

PS. the moderators may move this topic for you.

PPS. I have another server as well as my frihosting account, but I still am mildly curious in the answer here because I really don't know what the options are.
deanhills
Why not in the meanwhile try out the "Getting Started Wizard" in your cPanel? The cPanel (Control Panel) can be accessed through your Account page. Then also check out the documentation that comes with the Getting Started Wizard and Installation Guides.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
Why not in the meanwhile try out the "Getting Started Wizard" in your cPanel? The cPanel (Control Panel) can be accessed through your Account page. Then also check out the documentation that comes with the Getting Started Wizard and Installation Guides.

Deanhills to the rescue! thanks for helping, Dean, that's good advice. I haven't had time to go look, but I think I read something about that around here somewhere.

Have we tried a "SSH" search on the forums?
deanhills
Embarassed Please ignore my previous advice. ICT came up with a better idea, to do a search, and I then discovered in the SSH Access Thread (Aug 2009) that it is not allowed:
Bondings wrote:
I will never allow it, sorry. It becomes way too easy for users to exploit the system or for hacked websites to exploit the whole server.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
Embarassed Please ignore my previous advice. ICT came up with a better idea, to do a search, and I then discovered in the SSH Access Thread (Aug 2009) that it is not allowed:
Bondings wrote:
I will never allow it, sorry. It becomes way too easy for users to exploit the system or for hacked websites to exploit the whole server.

Really? One would think that SSH would make us more secure not the other way around. That's just nutz! I feel Bondings on the decision however, because there is no reason to open security for that. Most if not all websites on frihost are temporary projects, and if they require SSH then it's probably best to pay for hosting which I have done. I would rather die than bring my frihost subdomain account down again though.