FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hacking

cybersa
Learning Hacking for educational purpose is good or bad?
Because I'm learning.
adri
Hacking is originally a good thing, as companies hired hackers to test their system and hackers could point out any faults in the system that could possibly be abused... But most of the time, hacking is used as a bad word, a.k.a. people who try to enter other peoples system without the approval of the system operator or the chief to steal some information or money.

If you're trying to test your own programs by trying to hack it, that's all right but just don't use your knowledge to hack into someone else his system or computer...

adri
cybersa
Until today I didn't done any wrong thing.

But I learned many things how that works.
Now I keep my computer safe. Smile
pampoon
There are two kinds of hackers on the internet: white and black. White hackers use their skills to further the understanding of security and the programing/languages we use to code the internet. They are the "good guys". However, black hackers use their miniscule knowledge to create havoc for people simply because of entertainment or for some gain (monetary or intellectual).

Learning the skill of true hacking is a great thing, and I admire anyone who can obtain all of that knowledge and not be tempted into joining the dark side. From what you have said thus far, you seem to simply be curious in the ability of hacking. That is perfectly fine, just understand that on the internet laws vary. You can commit a crime in Australia from America by hacking something important there. Be careful to control your knowledge.
ocalhoun
pampoon wrote:
black hackers use their miniscule knowledge to create havoc for people simply because of entertainment or for some gain (monetary or intellectual).

cybersa
Going to be a white hacker.
Are you learning hacking?
adri
Hacking for Dummies seems to be an awesome book to learn some techniques from. Smile I had it in my hands a year ago or so, but my mom (my money provider Razz ) was worried that I would use it, in the wrong way (or with pampoons words "become a black hacker"), so I didn't buy it. Sad Seems awesome though. Smile

Website: http://www.dummies.com/store/product/productCd-0470550937.html

adri
IceCreamTruck
adri wrote:
I had it in my hands a year ago or so, but my mom (my money provider Razz ) was worried that I would use it, in the wrong way...

Good, you don't need it cause there is plenty of this info online. Please explain to your mother that this is how MOST of the guys in my field, including me, started out. We now range from software developers, to network techs, to IT staff, and some in other fields doing well because of the computer knowledge they gained early on.

Somewhere on frihost is an "ethical hacking" topic... you should read that. If anyone thinks hacking is bad, then they are outdated and showing their age. Hacking should not be a bad term for anyone except maybe Bondings who manages an online business that hackers only cause problems for. There is, however, nothing wrong with hacking your own computer to find out how things work or to find out where you have security holes. Liken it to walking around your house checking the fence for holes. If you find a hole, try to climb through it, and succeed this doesn't mean you are breaking and entering. It means you are becoming more aware of your environment and how people might use that to their advantage.

What happens if a hacker gets in your system now? You have no idea how they got there, or what they can do now that they are in. Learn all you can, and tell your mom to stop allowing her old ideas to prevent you from gaining knowledge that may very well be a career for you one day. Maybe not those exact words, but you should get my point. My point is this: me and all of my friends learned hacking, and absolutely non of us ever used it the wrong way, or got in trouble. We all have good paying jobs related to the time we spent on computers, so it wasn't a bad thing for us in any way.

PS. once you learn hacking you'll find out how limited you are too. It's not the all-powerful key to any computer system that people make it out to be. Evil Hackers look for weakness and prey on the weak almost exclusively and ignore people with good security and anti-virus software because they can spin their wheels forever and not find a good way in to a modern system if it's properly protected, which it most likely is if it's a fairly modern system.
ocalhoun
IceCreamTruck wrote:

PS. once you learn hacking you'll find out how limited you are too. It's not the all-powerful key to any computer system that people make it out to be.

What!?!
You mean you can't hack into military communications satellites using a cell phone, and then use that to change traffic lights and operate the power grid!?! But I saw it in movies!
IceCreamTruck
ocalhoun wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

PS. once you learn hacking you'll find out how limited you are too. It's not the all-powerful key to any computer system that people make it out to be.

What!?!
You mean you can't hack into military communications satellites using a cell phone, and then use that to change traffic lights and operate the power grid!?! But I saw it in movies!

Bad, ocalhoun! Don't give them any ideas... we're focusing on ethical hacking! Smile Twisted Evil
noobcake
Learning to hack certainly isn't wrong, and the knowledge could prove invaluable when you're creating your own websites. I mean, you can't possibly defend yourself if you don't know what kind of holes to defend from. And as people have already said, hacking is actually very limited, so there's not much you can do, especially against big and secure systems. (at least not until you get one of them badass smartphones, Nokia 3210s just don't cut it anymore.)
kelseymh
biswajit29nov wrote:
Several subgroups of the computer underground [...]

This post has been flagged as plagiarism. It is a direct copy-and-paste from Wikipedia, without attribution.
k_s_baskar
If you are network or server admin you should know hacking. so that you can prevent from hacking your network or server. Smile
narashiman
Hacking is really a good thing , it is something like seeing how a thing works, but only cracking is wrong and dangerous which involves doing malicious activities..
Hexes
narashiman wrote:
Hacking is really a good thing , it is something like seeing how a thing works, but only cracking is wrong and dangerous which involves doing malicious activities..

If you are doing it for your own purpose than I think it is ok. You are learning how to debug and dissasemble things and this is positive aspect of cracking.
cybersa
@Hexes
I Accept it.
By doing we can improve it form cracking.

Then like your avatar.
Because i like cut the rope.
Android User or Iphone User?
maxzim
I think that if as long as you stay in the legal zone (white hat hacking), it is allright too hack, since you aren't breaking anything.
Black hat hacking is a total different kind of hacking and more focused on breaking things and stealing valuable information like bankaccounts, which obviously is illegal.
donoob88
i want to learn game hackin, lols, cause i want to be strong in the game i was playing, it was online and level up game, but i don't have time i think to learn it, and i think it is so secured that i can't hack it. I wish i could learn it, but of course i would not abuse it and kill all players in game (PK - Player Kill) and steal their family maps, lols.. i just want not to be noob. But i think also it would be unfair to other players Razz
bukaida
Hacking is good if you engage your knowledge in good purpose. In fact there are lot of hacking community exist for this purpose. These hackers are usualy known as white hat hackers. They also arrange seminers to educate people.
mm365
I say Learning to hack certainly isn't wrong.
ujjawall
bukaida wrote:
Hacking is good if you engage your knowledge in good purpose. In fact there are lot of hacking community exist for this purpose. These hackers are usualy known as white hat hackers. They also arrange seminers to educate people.

You tell right but i think Hacking is bad thing. Adays 75% people are good at computer and internet.
u can only cheat or disturb those people who is already belong from low class. Wink Wink
nguyenvulong
It's not about hacking, it's about you and YOUR PURPOSE when learning it . Wink
ujjawall
More people learn hacking course for hack and disturb. Laughing Laughing
cybersa
ujjawall wrote:
More people learn hacking course for hack and disturb. Laughing Laughing

I accept it.
Because it leads to think like that.
I also thought like that.
loyal
Anyone remember hackthissite.org? i couldnt get past the level beyond looking up the password written in plain text in the source code of the webpage haha...
pll
Ethical hacking is really good, but if you are hacking to disturb or destroy something it's bad.
Josso
loyal wrote:
Anyone remember hackthissite.org? i couldnt get past the level beyond looking up the password written in plain text in the source code of the webpage haha...

YES. I believe the original owner got sent down for something or other (yearrrs ago) so it's kinda ironic that a black hat hacker would make one of the most educational white hat sites out there. Also Hellbound Hackers is fantastic good fun - I have like 3000 points on it from back in the day I might return actually this thread has reminded me of it. If anyone signs up let me know I'll tell you my username
subhan1
Hacking is a good thing if used correctly - I personally have learnt a little of hacking and it was a great experience ! Smile
Bikerman
Hacking is neither good nor bad - it is the intent that decides that.
I remember what hacking ORIGINALLY was - it was someone with a bit of knowledge tweaking software for other users to add functionality. I was a hacker in that sense back in the late 1970s and early 1980s - before even the first IBM PC machine - when you pretty much had to write your own software.
The word 'hacker' is still used by many techies to mean 'excellent programmer' - it is only really non-pros and newbies who insist on using it in the way that the media (wrongly) introduced it in the mid 80s, then silly films like WarGames made popular. When I talk about hackers I usually mean people like Linus Torvalds (the genius who wrote the first Linux) rather than some spotty geek who thinks he is cool because he has deleted a printer-log on a mainframe somewhere.
enilsoncba
I think there will always be good or bad, regardless of the situation, the case of the issue and the subject. Have knowledge and techniques hackers are always seen worrying given the vulnerability. I can say that is bad or good hackers know about just by nature of the person. The fact that a pro knowledge will be used well or badly pro is fully aware of the responsibility of the carrier. Like, if I inform all tactics, and techniques to use engineering and manufacturing explosives, the person responsible will be taught only here one time to say whether it was positive or negative effects on the teaching has had past, it used to illicitly explode or something cool. So think about hacker techniques. If good person without bad ideas, surely learn hacker techniques and use them as learning.
honken
I think its a good idea to learn hacking. also because hacking is such a broad word.

You can be hacking a computer.
You can be hacking hardware.
You can be hacking things that will improve your ways of thing stuff in life etc...

There are many different types of "Hackers".
White Hat.
Black Hat.
Grey Hat.

These are the most common ones used today.
But not to get into to many details.

You should learn the trade, it will help you, and if you become a white,black,grey,yello,green etc Hacker its up to you.
Im not going to judge you.

But i would bet you, even what path you go down thru, if you become good i know you will contribute with something good further down line.
Smile
Kenji_Kensuki
What's frustrating to me is that people don't seem to understand the word "hacking." Originally it meant cobbling something together quickly that just works. "Cracking" is phreaking the phone line, etc. In the "hacker community," "cracking" is considered immature. (I am not a member of the hacking community, I wish I was.) So "hackers" really just have control over their computer, not really anyone else's.

Also, not trying to start a flame war.
Bikerman
Don't worry - there will be no flame war - I guarantee it Smile
You are correct insofar as you go, but remember that the word was used to describe the 'guy in the office' as well, which means that some hackers worked on machines that were not their own. This was common - someone in an office would have a problem with their computer and the local 'expert' would cobble-together a solution or a work-around. The main point, however, which I agree with is that 'hacker' was originally not a word intended to describe some sort of illegal or illicit operations, simply 'making stuff work'.
milkshake01
Learning hacking for educational purposes isn't bad. This is a good way to help you understand how a software/operating system works.
zaxacongrejo
My thought on this subject is not about hacking but about knowledge and the way you use that knowledge, of course education as also a very important role on this subject.
There are good and bad hackers
Professional and unprofessional hackers
But the worst or in the other words the best ones are almost always ex government
Employees
taytay
For education, good! That's what all my hacking skills have been. I'm definitely no pro hacker. Mostly, when I come to a problem or limitation, or just a curiosity, I learn the skills to get through the challenge at hand. It's made me very uneasy about my own computer security really... If I can get past security, so can other people! And there's plenty of malicious hackers out there. Which is why my aspiration is to go into the computer security field. So many things to learn though!
subhan1
Everything has a good side and bad side - it's upto you which side you choose Smile
Have fun learning it - cause It's a big time FUN! (if used correctly)
freefri
hacking is fun but not bad always.