FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GIMP

macky
hi guys im new to linux and i found out this GIMP or the GNU Image Manipulation Program. Now way back before, i intend to use Photoshop on my daily habit in windows. I've learned there from most video tutorials and books. I've google around about GIMP but only few of them provide tips and tricks, e-learning and share their works..

Now im wondering if there is such an materials like a i said a while ago to learn fast using this GIMP.

Thanks in advance! Smile
silverdown
Why not try searching on this forum for "Gimp"?

I found a usefull one

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-12062.html
gs-resume
I not so sure about the how-to guides and so forth, (always there is being the http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/ page) but one thing you must like to be installing are the tools. believe them to be called gimp-plugin-registry. so if using the ubuntu, you can install the tools from command line by issuing forth the:

"sudo apt-get install gimp-plugin-registry". Tools also available from the synaptic under the same title: gimp-plugin-registry. The batch resizer is nice. lets you shrink image sizes in batch. so if you take large size photos w/ a high mega-pixels, it lets you shrink the MBs for more manageable size photos for emailing web-posting and what-not.
jcreus
macky wrote:
hi guys im new to linux and i found out this GIMP or the GNU Image Manipulation Program. Now way back before, i intend to use Photoshop on my daily habit in windows. I've learned there from most video tutorials and books. I've google around about GIMP but only few of them provide tips and tricks, e-learning and share their works..

Now im wondering if there is such an materials like a i said a while ago to learn fast using this GIMP.

Thanks in advance! Smile

I remember a great tutorial called Grokking the GIMP which covers many aspects of this great software Smile.
weltkarte
On this pate you may also find some useful help and tutorials:

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

Have fun!
GoldenEagle
I have used Gimp before, but is it really as powerful as photoshop? Are there any better free programs than Gimp?
FunDa
GoldenEagle wrote:
I have used Gimp before, but is it really as powerful as photoshop? Are there any better free programs than Gimp?

If you are on Windows, try Paint.NET from getpaint.net

Paint.net is free and powerfl enough for most stuff.

Also, don't think that paint.net means that is web based or anything ! I took a long time to start using it because I thought t was online and needed a continuous internet connection. It is NOT like that. It is just a regular software Smile Smile
celebi269
Why not try them both?
That way, you can see their pros and cons so you can decide whether to use Paint.NET or GIMP.
malaysia
Paint.Net need many compulsary additional component to install it in Windows.
GIMP is simple.Just install it exe file, then u can use it.
metalfreek
I tried to use GIMP for a few days but I was so well adjusted with photoshop that I even didn't care to search for tutorials on using GIMP. I think GIMP is good but I don't think it will be as good as photoshop.
NitNik
There isn't really a "fast" way to learn GIMP. GIMP shall be a complete alternative to Photoshop, but in function and not in Design or something else. So it needs a long time to learn to work with, but you'll get the most powerful and free image-editing Software.

If you're experienced in Photoshop, you could try GIMPshop. It's GIMP with a Photoshop-like layout.

Anyway, the best way to learn working with GIMP is to read a good book about it and staying connected with GIMP-experts on some boards. Maybe you should read tutorials and wiki's in some GIMP/image-editing-specific boards...
mgeek
GIMP is like any other application. The more you use it, the more you learn about it. I started using GIMP with a scanned image that I then colored. That was almost eight years ago on a Linux Redhat. Now I am using GIMP on Windows and it has become easier to use.
FunDa
GIMP has finally made its windows integrated into a single window, so that it is now easier to use for a beginner.

Earlier, GIMP was a bit difficult to use, because it had scattered windows everyhwere unlike the basic photo editors I had seen.

Now GIMP looks very very easy.

GIMP 2.7.3 has added one of the most requested features in the program’s history: a single window mode. Version 2.7 is part of the development branch, so unfortunately, the feature won't hit most distro repositories for a while.

As I said, because 2.7 is a development branch, most distributions won’t add it to their repositories, and this means that you’ll have to build it yourself. It’s a shame, in a way, because the new window mode might be viewed as a ease of use feature that less advanced users would appreciate. According to this page, it looks like version 2.8 should arrive in about November.

If you want to have a sneak peek at the new development features, you’ll probably have to compile from scratch. As it’s a development version, it depends on some up to date libraries which you may have to add by hand. Fortunately, if you’re an Ubuntu user, you can use this excellent guide to find all the bits that you’ll need.

The one window mode is activated by selecting the option in the Windows menu. So, people who prefer the old way of working still can. It handles multiple open documents with an iconified tab bar that runs along the top of the screen.
Blummer
I've used it as alternative for Photoshop. I can say it's amazing, though I couldn't get used to it, because of some major differences. But based on existing reviews I would say I will switch to it one day.