FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Anyone here make money from your hobby?





tomisme
That would be great if I could. Wink
Radar
In the world of IT, it's starts to become one and the same. Sometimes that means you're making money from your hobby, sometimes that means that you just really enjoy parts of your work. There have been times past where I've come home from work and done almost exactly the same thing in my spare time - helpful, because what I learn in one situation tends to influence the other, and vice versa.
IceCreamTruck
Making money is my hobby! Does that count?
coolclay
I guess I make money from my hobby but that's far from my driving force. I get paid to teach and take people snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, and about marine science. All of which I would list as hobbies! These are my like activities that I enjoy, rather than a true hobby but it depends on your definition.
tomisme
Thanks for all replies. Smile In fact, I was thinking of something that you never imagined you could make money from that. It's like taking a photograph and selling it.
IceCreamTruck
I jokingly say "making money is my hobby" but it's true!

It makes me happy to find mutually beneficial transactions that generate profit. In other words I like it when people are saying things like "thank you so much" or "wow, that's really helpful" while they are handing me cash.

tomisme wrote:
In fact, I was thinking of something that you never imagined you could make money from that.


I'm all ears! Tell me Smile

tomisme wrote:
It's like taking a photograph and selling it.


like? It's not taking pictures?

Find someone who needs a picture and your idea will work. Find a lot of people that need pictures, and you'll spend a lot of your time dealing with people instead of taking pictures, and you'll only make a little money for your time. Find a constant flow of new customers on the web that each buy A COPY of your photograph and there's more and more people all the time wanting their own copy, and you're golden.

(You Are Golden -- means "priceless", the sky's the limit, and nothing to worry about)
mengshi200
I like bible and horoscope.from my hobby,i found many useful stock rule This help me to make money from stock market.
emanuel2
Radar wrote:
In the world of IT, it's starts to become one and the same. Sometimes that means you're making money from your hobby, sometimes that means that you just really enjoy parts of your work. There have been times past where I've come home from work and done almost exactly the same thing in my spare time - helpful, because what I learn in one situation tends to influence the other, and vice versa.

the same for me. However girlfriends don't like that very much Very Happy
tomisme
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I jokingly say "making money is my hobby" but it's true!

It makes me happy to find mutually beneficial transactions that generate profit. In other words I like it when people are saying things like "thank you so much" or "wow, that's really helpful" while they are handing me cash.

tomisme wrote:
In fact, I was thinking of something that you never imagined you could make money from that.


I'm all ears! Tell me Smile

tomisme wrote:
It's like taking a photograph and selling it.


like? It's not taking pictures?

Find someone who needs a picture and your idea will work. Find a lot of people that need pictures, and you'll spend a lot of your time dealing with people instead of taking pictures, and you'll only make a little money for your time. Find a constant flow of new customers on the web that each buy A COPY of your photograph and there's more and more people all the time wanting their own copy, and you're golden.

(You Are Golden -- means "priceless", the sky's the limit, and nothing to worry about)


Hi IceCreamTruck,

Thanks so much for the tip, that's really helpful. I really appreciate that. Smile
IceCreamTruck
tomisme wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Find someone who needs a picture and your idea will work. Find a lot of people that need pictures, and you'll spend a lot of your time dealing with people instead of taking pictures, and you'll only make a little money for your time. Find a constant flow of new customers on the web that each buy A COPY of your photograph and there's more and more people all the time wanting their own copy, and you're golden.


Hi IceCreamTruck,

Thanks so much for the tip, that's really helpful. I really appreciate that. Smile


No problem... any time!!! I wasn't sure if everyone had heard that advice, but it's sound business advice, so I listed it here just in case.
rogue_skydragon
I would love to be able to make money off of the photos I take. I take pretty decent photographs, but my biggest weakness is my ability to handle business with clients on a regular basis to really make any sort of profit or flowing income.
nigam
yes, i am making from my hobby like racing pigeons, breed my fishes and selling some kois and flowerhorns, collecting vintage cars and restoring them...the ones that i like most, i will keep it and sometimes i will sell those that i don't like anymore Wink
IceCreamTruck
nigam wrote:
hobby like racing pigeons


I read this as an insincere comment first off because "racing pigeons" is more likely to be given as a joke reason or hobby in America. It's not that racing pigeons aren't popular in some circles, but to pop culture, and especially the new techy generation, uses racing pigeons like a joke for how to deliver an email, for instance.

I realize you are probably not joking, and I am really curious how one races pigeons except that the winner would be the first one to return home? I think this is what pigeons do that can be exploited for competition or message delivery as in old days.

So you take them to the next town, and whoever gets home first wins?

No offense, but you sound rich. Your hobbies make it sound like money isn't much of an object to you. Birds, Cars, Expensive fish are your hobbies, but I barely have time for comets (10 cent gold fish) with a full time day job. Lucky for me they are very hardy fish.
Ankhanu
I've made a little money from my hobbies, but not much.
I've sold a couple drawings and photographs, but not many...
I've made some money playing music with my bands, though less than I've paid to get gear or on transport to/from some of the shows.

It's nice to get a little money from a hobby, but, certainly, I've put more money into them than I've seen on return Wink

IceCreamTruck wrote:
No offense, but you sound rich. Your hobbies make it sound like money isn't much of an object to you. Birds, Cars, Expensive fish are your hobbies, but I barely have time for comets (10 cent gold fish) with a full time day job. Lucky for me they are very hardy fish.


Ya know, this sort of thing has always baffled me too; how people can maintain such expensive hobbies... especially when, more often than not, the people who enjoy them tend to not have any more income than I do (i.e. not that much). How do they manage it?

Though, I suppose I do have some idea. Likewise to nigam, I've had aquaria as a hobby; I've been keeping fish since I was about 15, with a lapse while living in a small apartment for a couple years. From the start, I worked very hard to get the money to start and maintain the hobby... I didn't have much money at all, but I put almost everything I earned towards it.
Similarly, I seem to be collecting instruments. I still make very little money, and make exceptionally little from my music... but I have seven guitars/basses that I purchased on my own (plus accessories like amps)... all but one costing >$600. With the number of instruments and quality of gear I own, you'd be tempted to think I had a lot of money... but I'm struggling along like anyone Razz

It seems to come down to where we allocate our extra coins after the bills are paid Smile
IceCreamTruck
Thanks, Ankhanu. Good post!

I agree that it's hard to make money from hobbies, but I'll encourage you that making money is remembering to adjust for a profit, or adjust your methods so that a profit can be made.

Sure, you might not make much money playing shows, but have you tried releasing an album online and take donations or charge for it? If you keep your cost of production as low as possible then this is a better business model for making money. Traveling to shows carries with it a lot of expense, and it also costs you time, but someone downloading your music doesn't cost you any more time than making the album did. Remember this, and restructure to see if you can turn a profit -- that's good business.

You could do the same with the fish if you purchase some breeding fish then it's possible that you could have your aquarium hobby start paying for itself too.

I am not tearing your post apart because I thought it was a good follow-up to this discussion. You post was fine, but I just wanted to share these ideas with you and see what you think.

BTW, this applies to most hobbies. Look for ways they can pay for themselves and you'll get to do more at the very lease then you would have if you just left it as an expense to you. It also doesn't hurt to try to start making money from the things you love, as the only alternative is making money from doing things that you don't like to do.
Ankhanu
I don't feel torn apart at all Smile Those are decent suggestions, though, particularly in the music sphere, deceptively more difficult to implement than it seems.

Regarding the music suggestion (online album sales), it can work, and is a good suggestion... however, it is a very hit/miss market. If you want your music accessible, you have to have something online. But, there are tens of thousands (if not more) of bands looking to do exactly the same thing you are; the music market is saturated, it's hard to discover new quality within the pile of material available, it's hard to convince people that it's worth putting their money down for music... It's VERY hard work to promote an album. Though distribution has become easier, promotion has become much more difficult and this is entirely due to volume/saturation. I've had albums (EPs) online with mixed degrees of success. But to actually find success requires a LOT of effort, and a fair dose of luck Smile
Recording these days is affordable and easy. This is both a ban and a boon.
Here's a thread in the Music section that covers some of the difficulties associated with online distribution and music in general. It was an interesting little chat Smile

Of course, it also depends on one's perspective. My hobby is making and/or performing music... I'm not in it for a job. I have no illusions concerning my ability to play even semi-professionally; I'm just not that good. But it's really fun all the same. Most gigs I've played did not pay at all, and those that do, don't pay much Razz If I didn't simply love playing, I'd definitely get out of music as a business; it's a fickle and competitive arena.

If I'm not mistaken, breeding and selling is exactly what nigham is doing. I've considered breeding as well, but haven't made the effort to buy/construct the breeding tanks. I have had a pair of angel fish attempt to breed, but, the tiretrack eel I had managed to eat the eggs within a week. You really need a dedicated tank for breeding (unless you're breeding livebearers, but even then the young are fine prey for the others Razz ). Many of the more interesting species are also quite difficult to breed in captivity, many have never been bred.

It was really neat to watch the parents defending and guarding the eggs. The eel was pretty darn sly too. It was a fascinating dance Smile
IceCreamTruck
Angels are good to breed and are profitable! They are fairly easy to breed from what I hear too, cause they protect their young as opposed to some fish that eat their own young which have to be separated from them. It's unfortunate that the eel ate them all, cause that would have been pretty cool for you.

All my fish eat their own eggs, so it's impossible to catch it in time for me. They are goldfish, so I need to use a special brush breeding setup so they don't eat them, and even then I'd only be able to sell the babies as feeder fish. I'd make pennies on my dollar investments unless I shot for shear volume, and then I don't think I'd find people who wanted them.

Ah, Ankhanu, your intelligence is showing! Smile

BTW, on the music subject I've always wanted to complete an album to put online for free and make advertising dollars off the website. There are more than enough people out there who want to listen to good music for free, and if you give things away for free then people keep coming and keep coming back. No one breaks out the credit card to purchase an album, but 200k to 500k people through a website in a year equals a great advertising opportunity. I know it would work for some bands, but I have no proof of concept that would work for someone like me that just likes writing songs every once in awhile.
Ankhanu
Yeah, website traffic only comes with some serious promotion effort (along with having a good "product" to offer). It's a struggle to get those advertising dollars. I follow several popular web cartoonists who tend to use a model like you're proposing, making money offering the product for free through on-site advertising. It's a struggle to keep the cash flowing, even with daily or regular frequency content updates... it's even harder for musicians. One of my friends, for example, hosts and maintains the website of a well established fiddler, so has all the site visit stats associated with the messageboard and site; getting the kind of traffic you're talking about is difficult even after you've made your name Razz

Profiting off of music is a struggle for professionals, let alone amateurs. It's possible, but it is in itself a full time job on top of your actual cash earning job Razz For we amateurs, we've really gotta be ok with just creating and performing and taking any money as a bonus rather than a goal. Otherwise, it's too easy to become cynical and jaded Wink
IceCreamTruck
Ankhanu wrote:
Yeah, website traffic only comes with some serious promotion effort (along with having a good "product" to offer). It's a struggle to get those advertising dollars. I follow several popular web cartoonists who tend to use a model like you're proposing, making money offering the product for free through on-site advertising. It's a struggle to keep the cash flowing, even with daily or regular frequency content updates... it's even harder for musicians. One of my friends, for example, hosts and maintains the website of a well established fiddler, so has all the site visit stats associated with the messageboard and site; getting the kind of traffic you're talking about is difficult even after you've made your name Razz

Profiting off of music is a struggle for professionals, let alone amateurs. It's possible, but it is in itself a full time job on top of your actual cash earning job Razz For we amateurs, we've really gotta be ok with just creating and performing and taking any money as a bonus rather than a goal. Otherwise, it's too easy to become cynical and jaded Wink


You don't have to tell me how hard it is to get traffic. I have programmed for years just to get traffic to a website, but I have my tricks. It's not something I can do over night, but I can bring a server down with web traffic. I've never charged for my software products, and some are doing so well that I am literally updating them now with hopes that I can prove worthy of donations, and possibly charge retail for some products in the near future. Can't blame me for wanting to charge people for copies of my work which cost me nothing to produce -- that's just good business, right? Smile
Tesa323
I have my own site where I just talk about my favorite game and earn stone 400-500 bucks a month I use the money on funyn shirts online and slot os lasers and other use less stuff lmao
GoldenEagle
I buy and sell coins, antiques and collectibles online and I make good money. It's not hard to make money in something like that.
nigam
IceCreamTruck wrote:
nigam wrote:
hobby like racing pigeons


I read this as an insincere comment first off because "racing pigeons" is more likely to be given as a joke reason or hobby in America. It's not that racing pigeons aren't popular in some circles, but to pop culture, and especially the new techy generation, uses racing pigeons like a joke for how to deliver an email, for instance.

I realize you are probably not joking, and I am really curious how one races pigeons except that the winner would be the first one to return home? I think this is what pigeons do that can be exploited for competition or message delivery as in old days.

So you take them to the next town, and whoever gets home first wins?

No offense, but you sound rich. Your hobbies make it sound like money isn't much of an object to you. Birds, Cars, Expensive fish are your hobbies, but I barely have time for comets (10 cent gold fish) with a full time day job. Lucky for me they are very hardy fish.



regarding racing pigeons, we started them training while young....we will bring the pigeons on the other islands and whoever comes first will be the winner and will win 1 time jackpot...
anyways, my hobbies are not that expensive....also, i am not rich... Smile
quex
emanuel2 wrote:
Radar wrote:
In the world of IT, it's starts to become one and the same. Sometimes that means you're making money from your hobby, sometimes that means that you just really enjoy parts of your work. There have been times past where I've come home from work and done almost exactly the same thing in my spare time - helpful, because what I learn in one situation tends to influence the other, and vice versa.

the same for me. However girlfriends don't like that very much :D


...got room for a new girlfriend? :D

I love IT geeks. ;)
quex
rogue_skydragon wrote:
I would love to be able to make money off of the photos I take. I take pretty decent photographs, but my biggest weakness is my ability to handle business with clients on a regular basis to really make any sort of profit or flowing income.


You can sell the digital rights on stock photo sites if your shots are any good. They'll handle all the hosting and downloads, etc. and you get a percentage of the profit.

Some sites that do this include:
SXC.hu
istockphoto.com
shutterpoint.com

Or, a tutorial on selling stock photos.
jwellsy
The best photography hobby that I've seen make money was someone that rents a booth at various trade shows and takes business photos. They had a green screen, a ladder, piles of fake cash and tons of props. They would do all kinds of wacky poses and do stuff like use a fisheye lens shooting down from the ladder. Business people eat that stuff up for business pictures, websites, advertising pieces, business cards, Christmas cards etc. Use a digital setup and a case of cheap SD cards and for $100 they walk out of the session with some valuable assets. They cause a lot of buzz and stay quite busy at every event they do.
quex
jwellsy wrote:
The best photography hobby that I've seen make money was someone that rents a booth at various trade shows and takes business photos. They had a green screen, a ladder, piles of fake cash and tons of props. They would do all kinds of wacky poses and do stuff like use a fisheye lens shooting down from the ladder. Business people eat that stuff up for business pictures, websites, advertising pieces, business cards, Christmas cards etc. Use a digital setup and a case of cheap SD cards and for $100 they walk out of the session with some valuable assets. They cause a lot of buzz and stay quite busy at every event they do.


That's a novel approach... stock featuring yourself and your coworkers, taken at a trade show... Although you'd have to worry about getting in to the show, fees for setting up somewhere on the floor, transporting equipment and all that. Maybe if you live close by a popular convention hall it'd make sense.
mvspaz
algu้m pode dar uma luz de como usar o frihost? o site ้ cheio de coisas eu fico meio perdido.

Obrigado!
Tesa323
It's not really a hobby but a make tutorials on how to get money on certain games upload to share cash put it on my site makes me $25 a day maybe make around $700 monthly from that 50$ daily from adsense so wound 1.4 k a month from my site and extra $100 a month for subsciptions and donations to my site. So I make around 2.1k a month almost doing nothing...
PRADIPTA
HOBBY CAN MAKE MONEY
quex
Tesa323 wrote:
It's not really a hobby but a make tutorials on how to get money on certain games upload to share cash put it on my site makes me $25 a day maybe make around $700 monthly from that 50$ daily from adsense so wound 1.4 k a month from my site and extra $100 a month for subsciptions and donations to my site. So I make around 2.1k a month almost doing nothing...


Okay, now, how exactly do you set that up? Are you using you Frihost space to run that site? And how did you promote your site to the level that you get that kind of traffic? o.o? I've got Adsense rigged to my blog, but I've yet to make even $100... probably because it's not nearly as popular as gold farming in online games, but STILL...
Hello_World
IT is my hobby and I hope one day to get good enough to make some money from it. I love to play piano and I taught music for a year. It wasn't really the same thing though. My dad has made a career out of music. I also like playing Playstation, but that ain't ever going to make me any money... Sad
rolandgill
You like drawing / painting. How would you like if some sethji asked you to paint, say, his ceiling or something.. for a decent fee...
berend
yeah but not enough

i have a account by a one click hoster and upload my files and do the links in boars so other
users can download it.
but its not enough 100 euro in the month
now i will start a forum but i had many problems with the installation
mochipie
I like to draw and do random art stuff, and sometimes I get commissions and people to pay for it, so I guess that sort of counts? Although most of them are my friends at school >__< (Have yet to build up any real online presence)

I've also started making doll clothes, and seeing as I enjoy collecting dolls, maybe in the future when I get better I can sell them too. Smile
Maniac
I'm a tarantula breeder. For time to time I sell a few beasties but I earn just small amounts.
I'm doing perforances as a Fire Spitter too. But the thing is, if u wanna do a good show, u have to spend a lot of money on materials so that u don't earn a lot. My hobbies are more for fun than for earning money.
Related topics
new thing about hitman 4 (Hitman: Blood Money )
I don't get it. Where does Fri Hosting get money to run?
Anyone tried [b]inlandhost.net[/b]?
Want to know if LOVE is real?
Can anyone make sense of AdSense to me...
How can we make money through free hosting?????
How to make EASY MONEY...
Anyone know a source for ad's that pay.
[OFFICIAL] What's your hobby?
Hobbies that Pay
Does anyone like football?
Anyone interested for a programmer???
ADVERTISE YOUR SITE!
Making money from your hobby
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Hobbies and Animals

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.