FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Easiest Video editing software to learn/use for Windows

eday2010
I keep hearing how easy and great Final Cut Pro for the Mac is. It certainly looks good, but I don't use Macs. I am already familiar with using Adobe Premiere, but the Pro version is very extensive and complicated, and the Elements version can be limiting. With Elements I can use just it for editing, making menus, and burning Blu-ray discs. With Pro, you need to use Encore for authoring. And with my current camcorder, my clips don't have sound in Premiere.

What programs apart from Adobe ones are good for video editing? It doesn't have to have overly complex functions, but it would be nice to be able to edit and author a Blu-ray in the same program. How good is Sony Vegas? What about Corel VideoStudio Pro? What else is out there?
Navigator
eday2010 wrote:
I keep hearing how easy and great Final Cut Pro for the Mac is. It certainly looks good, but I don't use Macs. I am already familiar with using Adobe Premiere, but the Pro version is very extensive and complicated, and the Elements version can be limiting. With Elements I can use just it for editing, making menus, and burning Blu-ray discs. With Pro, you need to use Encore for authoring. And with my current camcorder, my clips don't have sound in Premiere.

What programs apart from Adobe ones are good for video editing? It doesn't have to have overly complex functions, but it would be nice to be able to edit and author a Blu-ray in the same program. How good is Sony Vegas? What about Corel VideoStudio Pro? What else is out there?

This Wikipedia should give you a place to start your search.
carlosgaucho
I started using Vegas, and it is really easy to use and the result is quite professional.
Now I start to use Adobe After Effects.. you should have a look on it.
drunkenkoz
Well if you're looking for the easiest video editing software to use then I would looking into windows movie maker for the windows operating system and imovie for macs. Those are both real easy programs to use and they come with OS by default. If you're looking for something a little more advanced I would look into Camtasia Studio, Sony Vegas, and Pinnacle Studio. Those three are easy programs to use. Especially Sony Vegas which is one of the more popular choices. It's a professional program that many people use to edit videos, but it costs a couple hundreds dollars if you're willing to spend the money. The rest of the programs mentioned above are free.
cybersa
I think Sony Vegas is difficult thing to learn.
Because when i started to learn,i used tutorial from youtube.
catscratches
drunkenkoz wrote:
windows movie maker
fix'd.

And I wouldn't recommend Windows Movie Maker at all. The new version (for Windows 7) lacks even the most basic commands that any video editing suite should have. They've gone way too far with the simplicity, making it practically useless.
For basic movie editing needs, I recommend VirtualDub.
IceCreamTruck
catscratches wrote:
drunkenkoz wrote:
windows movie maker
fix'd.

And I wouldn't recommend Windows Movie Maker at all. The new version (for Windows 7) lacks even the most basic commands that any video editing suite should have. They've gone way too far with the simplicity, making it practically useless.
For basic movie editing needs, I recommend VirtualDub.

I was wondering when that would come out. I used VirtualDub to make a commercial for TV but that was a while ago now.
catscratches
It's a very nice piece of software, although limited and not as easy as some of the commercial products. But it's completely free so I urge everyone to at least try it out. You've got literally nothing to lose.
eday2010
I have tried Sony Vegas and Pinnacle Studio, both which were good. I won't be doing anything more complicated than transitions and edits as well as chapter starts. I have been using Premiere Elements up until now because it was easy to create a DVD from start to finish.. But in moving to HD footage, I want to use something more functional for creating Blu-ray discs. I tested footage from my camcorder with Premiere Pro, Elements, Vegas, and Pinnacle. And while I am most familiar with the Premieres and where everything is, it was not outputting files with sound, while the other two were.

Basically whichever program lets me edit and author a Blu-ray from 1080p footage running at 60 frames per second to 1080i running at 30 frames per second with the least loss of quality will get my vote. I am just wondering which program that is and whether it will require a lot of learning on my part.
drunkenkoz
Well I've done many montages in 1080p through the use of Sony Vegas and Adobe After Effects. Both of the programs combined can make good quality videos. You just have to format the video the right way in order for them to be 1080p. From my experience all video editing programs can do it.
IceCreamTruck
eday2010 wrote:
I am most familiar with the Premieres and where everything is, it was not outputting files with sound, while the other two were.

I think you might try trouble-shooting this issue. It sounds like you have all the software you need, but might try messing with audio tracks or changing the input of audio for that particular program, and then re-syncing the audio to the video in Premieres. Try searching this problem on the web if you have not already... attempt to determine exactly why this is happening. If you play the video in Premiers before rendering does it play sound? Does the video program visually show you there is sound there, but you can't here it, ever? I'm assuming you hear sound when raw footage is played on the video recorder, but is it stereo (Left/Right), or multi-channel including center and rear (left/right). What is being captured by your video recorder? I'm assuming stereo, like most, but I want you to tell me exactly.

It might be as easy as the video is only outputting the center channel of the speakers for both right and left stereo audio tracks, and the other video programs recognize this as empty and are auto-switching to right channel or something because your video might only produce left and right audio tracks in stereo. Keep messing around here, cause I think switching video programs was easy for you, but you might have spent longer to work this out... not sure. Please advise on the situation as it seems like you should be able to figure something out as to why it's not outputting your audio. I had issues like this when I first approached video editing, but getting used to your equipment and the resulting media's interaction with your video editor can get tricky... they can't program for every possibility all the time, so you end up with some setting meant for only some input types, some settings to disable features that are not universally compatible, or settings to enable features programed for specific bugs on only certain devices. Skip all this reading by doing a search for your device and Adobe Premiers -- chances are that you are not the only person with this issue.

I hope this helps.
cybersa
My Advice:
Try to work on one software which you knew well than other.
Then figure out the problem.
captainsuperdude
Wax is the only functionally free one for windows that I'm aware of.

and you have to do all sorts of screwy things to make that program work, it has a few bugs to say the least.

avs4you can be learnt much faster, but they watermark your vids.
Gitesh
You have to remember: when it comes to editing software, almost all software is essentially the same. They all will cut video just as well as the other. It comes down to personal preference – and at the YouTube/online video level, no single piece of software is objectively “better” than the other.
Here is the on from master of videomaking.. Freddie Wong..
celebi269
Try Lightworks. In my opinion, it's very easy to use and many filmmakers use this. You can easily adapt to the UI because it gives you options on the keyboard format you want, whether FCP, Avid and others.

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/
asnani04
Video pad's video editor, is a nice software to learn and quite easy to use too. But Windows Movie Maker is probably the easiest, maybe not the coolest! It doesn't have many features, which Video pad surely has. I would recommend downloading atrial of both and then seeing if you like any of them..

Best of luck!!! Rolling Eyes
belltown
I'd also give my vote for VideoPad by NCH software. It's very powerful for a free piece of software. There are many more features and video formats supported than Windows Movie Maker, and it eally doesn't take long to get up to speed. They have a couple of video tutorials and their documentation is very easy to follow.

I've also tried using Lightworks but found that it crashed a lot if trying to read in a video file in a format it didn't like. It seems to be mainly geared towards processing raw video input. I tried editing several files that has already been processed and compressed; it couldn't handle it. The dealbreaker for me, however, was that I couldn't do simple operations like add a title to my movie without using some additional plug-in that I would have had to have purchased.
LegendVPN
If you want the easiest of all, the video editing software of Windows itself is what you need. Windows Movie Maker, to be exact.
If you're patient to learn just a bit more, try using Sony Vegas. It's really user-friendly and has several effects.
If you want to go pro, Adobe Premiere is the one to use.
shopperpk
well, windows movie maker is also an easiest way of making videos from pictures and video editing is very easy using windows movie maker.
pazis
I use Corel Video Studio Pro and it's very easy-to-use. It supports many video formats, and I like it at all.
Chellesei
I created a video some years ago using Windows Movie Maker. It's really easy to learn. haha. But it lacks a lot of things.
Then I watched some videos on YouTube to learn some things about Sony Vegas. After knowing the basics, I can now make a video without taking a look on tutorials. It isn't really a complex one unlike After Effects.
I've also tried AE. This one's really complicated but with enough patience, I know you can get it. Smile
I haven't tried Adobe Premiere even if it's installed on my PC. xD But I think it's more complex than Vegas. Smile