FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

OMG i7 overclocked, and water cooled! What do you think?

Is there anything as cool as overclocked i7 water cooled for under 1K?
Yes, buy it immediately so I can be jealous of you!
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
No, I'm boring and unimpressed by anything!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

IceCreamTruck
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=281624&SRCCODE=WEM2650IM&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM2650-_-tigeremail

Check it out and let me know what you think. Me thinks I want this box!
adri
I would have been impressed if the config included hard drives, an operating system and a graphics card (i did not found any info about the graphics card?)

You can also buy that cpu yourself and overclock it for free at home. Smile

adri
IceCreamTruck
adri wrote:
I would have been impressed if the config included hard drives, an operating system and a graphics card (i did not found any info about the graphics card?)

You can also buy that cpu yourself and overclock it for free at home. Smile

adri

Lol, it's a kit... some assembly required. Example: you have to buy your own graphics card, and OS which I'd probably buy windows7x64 pro version, and a graphics card with at least 1gig of ram.

they've got all they need in this product to hook me though cause over clocking your own system can be tricky, and this comes over-clocked with a water cooler, and it has ram. Usually you can just swap your existing hard drive, and graphics card over to the new system. Sometimes it will even boot with the old OS, but sometimes not. If you get it to boot, then it's a simple driver game, but you'd have all those on disks with the kit usually.

PS. 2 terabyte drive is only $75 at tiger direct. Much less if I only want 1 terabyte
adri
Confused For me personally, putting a system together manually and installing the software is 70% of my adrenaline kick when making a computer (30% in searching for parts/making the config). By the way, the processor in that 'kit' is extremely easy to overclock as intel didn't put any limits on the amount of multipliers you can have. So you easily clock it to 5Ghz. Smile I would take the cheaper i5 2500k though. Razz (which is powerful enough for my needs)

adri
william
That processor is very easy to overclock. With a capable enough cooler, that easily hits high 4s and into the 5 GHz range. Clock for clock, it's already faster than the last generation i7s, and it overclocks much higher. It is a true beast. I honestly wouldn't pay to have my processor overclocked, it really doesn't take long if you know what you're doing. This CPU, specifically, has tons of guides all over the web for optimum settings. Tweak them for your batch and run stress tests and enjoy the performance. Very Happy

And also, regarding the cooling, that's actually a very poor water cooling system. Cheap water cooling is pretty much never as good as a nice air cooler, and this one isn't even the best in its class (a Corsair H70 does a better job, but costs a bit more).

Here is a review of the Noctua NH-D14 in which they compare to the cooler in that kit. As you can see, the Noctua is 7 degrees cooler at 4 GHz (old i7) under load, and that's with upgraded fans on the water cooler. The NH-D14 was the king of the air coolers until the Thermalright Silver Arrow came out a few months ago, so now you can do even better. But ultimately, you really don't want to have cheap water cooling unless you're trying to save space.

Besides the cooler and the power supply, the rest of the specifications are decent. But you can get it even cheaper.
IceCreamTruck
william wrote:
But you can get it even cheaper.

Music to my ears, and I'm loving the idea of overclocking my own system if a) it will last with little maintenance b) I'm not risking catastrophic failure.

It sounds like you've pegged this system as a catastrophic failure risk because of the cheap water cooler. This is why I asked you guys, cause I knew someone would have good info for me.

Do you recommend air-cooling a over-clocked system? I just figured when I made the jump to over-clocked that is when I'd make the jump to water cooled. That is an assumption, and one of the reasons I bite on this particular add from tigerdirect. Another reason I asked is they have slipped in subpar parts on bare bones systems before but, admittedly, this has a few components with which I am not familiar.
william
It's hard to go wrong when you're overclocking a system. You just have to do it little by little, stress test it, and keep an eye on the temperatures.

And actually, it's not a catastrophic failure risk at all. That water cooler can easily handle the 4.6 GHz overclock on that chip. I'm just saying for a little bit less, you can get a good air cooler which will perform better than this. In general, a good custom water-cooling loop will easily outperform air, and if you're looking to get this chip over the 5 GHz mark, that's what you need. However, these cheaper pre-built systems have many limitations. They're great for saving space, but a high quality air system will outperform it.

Air cooling an overclocked system is fine, you just have to know the limitations. And like I said, a Noctua NH-D14 or a Thermalright Silver Arrow will outperform this water cooler, so you'll actually be able to overclock better with air in comparison. A custom water loop is another story, but they start to be very expensive and are much harder to work with. But if you're looking for maximum cooling (short of phase change and liquid nitrogen), custom water loops are the way to go. Very Happy

If you're interested here is some good information on real water cooling systems. And this is what the Tigerdirect PC is using.
IceCreamTruck
this is all very helpful! thanks!

I already read the water cooling guide, and I think you guys have pushed me to start experimenting with over-clocking. I can stress and temperature check... not a problem... sounds fun, even.

I have a compaq that would be a great computer to start with, and it may very well bring it back from the computer grave yard... may even make it a media server on my network if it works. I'll let you know.
william
IceCreamTruck wrote:

I already read the water cooling guide, and I think you guys have pushed me to start experimenting with over-clocking. I can stress and temperature check... not a problem... sounds fun, even.

Awesome. Yeah I mean the first time I overclocked I had no issues at all (minus a couple failed stress tests, but that was just a matter of increasing the voltage by one increment). It's definitely fun if you ask me. Wink

And good idea on the Compaq. Just remember it won't be easy (or possible) to overclock most off the shelf systems. But if it's capable enough, you can't go wrong with a media server.
IceCreamTruck
william wrote:
But if it's capable enough, you can't go wrong with a media server.

Right now I'm in need of something to share media with all of my devices that I can just leave on all of the time so it's always available. With team-viewer and some of the even more awesome remote control programs on my android phone I should be able to stream movies out from a single location to my tv, my laptop, or projector... it will be a sweet setup. I currently have a dual core 1 ghz AMD server, and the compaq work station that need to be played with some more before they are completely laid to rest. The Dual core server has 3x250gig SCSI drives, but I've only ever been able to get one of those to work... 10k rpms though, so I should play with it.

Soon I will just junk them, however, because I want everything upgraded to 64 bit without exception. I've been waiting too long for this transition and for the price of x64 servers to come down. Eventually I hope to rack mount any servers I require at home, and hopefully I'll be able to support most of my web projects from their as well. Ah, the future! It's a great place to be!
weableandbob
I agree that it's much better to overclock at home-it's free, and you can get it how you like it. That is, if you're into overclocking-I've never liked doing it myself.
IceCreamTruck
weableandbob wrote:
I agree that it's much better to overclock at home-it's free, and you can get it how you like it. That is, if you're into overclocking - I've never liked doing it myself.

You guys keep saying "it's free" like it doesn't cost anything to get more performance out of your system. Chances are I will have to spend money... I don't see a way around this. Either a new air-cooler for one of my existing systems, or buying something new to over-clock with the right water cooler or air cooler in place. I still don't get where you guys get "Free" out of all this, but it's cool i will buy all the equipment that I need.

I know I need something because all the computer towers I have run hot already. I know they won't handle any over-clocking with the current air flow in the boxes.

The compaq is AMD, however, and I believe you can set the clock speed on that. I will have to look up that specific processor and see what people have boosted out of it.

Weableandbob, get an old computer, buddy! You're in this with me now... it's too late, and you can't turn back! We're both going to over-clock a system and take the mystery out of all this nonsense.
adri
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I still don't get where you guys get "Free" out of all this..

We just say "free", because you don't pay "TigerDirect" to do the overclocking for you... You just buy the stuff yourself and overclock it yourself (which is free).

Have fun with buying the parts and putting it together. Very Happy (And also with the overclocking :p )

adri
IceCreamTruck
You agree that weableandbob should have to join me in this venture though... good, it's settled! weableandbob, get your computer ready bud... we might be doing this on this weekend! Smile
william
What's the model of your Compaq? I ask only because it's unlikely the motherboard will support overclocking.

Also, for a bit of motivation, I overclock my cell phones. Wink
IceCreamTruck
william wrote:
I overclock my cell phones. Wink

I didn't over-clock mine, but I dithered the screen and admin cracked my android. I can run a wiifii hot spot from my phone -- sparingly -- because it's not really allowed by my provider, but extremely convenient at times.