FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Whose your favorite classical pianist?

zbale
I'd say these days my favorite is Alfred Brendel (especially the Beethoven Sonatas).

Who's your favorite?
silverdown
I dont exactly have one....
tomisme
I absolutely love Ludwig van Beethoven, a great composer and pianist.
zbale
tomisme wrote:
I absolutely love Ludwig van Beethoven, a great composer and pianist.

Do we have testimonials regarding the way Beethoven played, or do you mean this based on the way he wrote for the piano?

Thanks.
tomisme
Good point. I assume he must be a great pianist based on the way he wrote for the piano.

As a world-class pianist, Beethoven particularly favoured the piano in his compositions. He wrote 36 piano sonatas (large works for unaccompanied piano) and five piano concertos (large works for piano and orchestra) as well as a huge range of other piano music. Most famous is his Bagatelle in A Minor, which bears the title Für Elise ('For Elise'). In fact, Beethoven's writing was so messy that no one is sure whether it was for Elise or for someone else entirely different that the piece was intended. The opening movement of his Moonlight sonata is equally famous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A584859

Thanks.
deanhills
I like Andre Watts with Rachmaninof. For Beethoven I thought this recital of his of the Emperor Concerto is excellent - one of my favourites anyway:
svankie
Well... lately, I've become a HUGE fan of Glenn Gould. I've listen to his interpretations of the Goldberg Variations and they sound like heaven. Also, he has a marvelous interpretation of The Art of Fugue.

Hmm... I also like Zimmerman. The way he plays... is astonishing. It is perfect.
emanuel2
Which Zimmerman do you mean?