FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Answering Machines

jwellsy
I have been looking for a new telephone answering machine. I hate my land line phone, every time the electricity blinks it loses its incoming outgoing and time memory. Does any one make a phone with a 9 volt battery backup like an alarm clock? It would only cost maybe fifty cents to build it in. It should be an engineering code to design in a battery backup to all memory modules.

Or, do all the new generation of land line phones use a memory chip that doesn't need a battery backup like a thumbdrive?
badai
i just use UPS. maybe it can last for weeks without electricity.
IceCreamTruck
jwellsy wrote:
I have been looking for a new telephone answering machine. I hate my land line phone, every time the electricity blinks it loses its incoming outgoing and time memory. Does any one make a phone with a 9 volt battery backup like an alarm clock? It would only cost maybe fifty cents to build it in. It should be an engineering code to design in a battery backup to all memory modules.

Or, do all the new generation of land line phones use a memory chip that doesn't need a battery backup like a thumbdrive?

I open devices in radioshack, bestbuy, and walmart, and I read all the descriptions on the box I can to determine if it will work for me. Any answering machine now is going to have a battery backup... and yours may have. If the power outage is surge related then it could be wiping the memory of the device. the last few I've purchased, tape, and two digital, had zero issues with power outages. I was worried because one of the digitals wasn't plugged in for a long time, and didn't seem to have any battery backup visible from the outside and I thought we'd have to redo the greeting, but it came back just fine the next time it was put to use suggesting solid state memory.
jwellsy
How old is your machine? Mine is about 12 years old. That's about when digital started coming out.
IceCreamTruck
jwellsy wrote:
How old is your machine? Mine is about 12 years old. That's about when digital started coming out.

Remember when business guys all had the big briefcase cell phones... there were actually cell phone repairmen back in those days too. They are extinct now, of course.

The scary part is how much business was done on those and nothing was encrypted, so you could listen to the cell phones very easily if you knew your way to the closest radio shack, and had a few dollars to spend.

They did this all without voice-mail or texting too! Voice-mail was an extra charge on service, but only after a few years and they realized the importance.