FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What makes a fast computer?

lovescience
I am thinking to put together a computer that can run fast for 3D animation rendering.

I am not sure if I should make one that is fast enough for real time rendering or make a server as a render farm for rendering.

Has anyone know anything about the hardware for real time 3D animation rendering or anything about current hardware for making a fast computer?
QrafTee
lovescience wrote:
I am thinking to put together a computer that can run fast for 3D animation rendering.

I am not sure if I should make one that is fast enough for real time rendering or make a server as a render farm for rendering.

Has anyone know anything about the hardware for real time 3D animation rendering or anything about current hardware for making a fast computer?
Most real-time 3D rendering is done by the GPU (which is why they're so expensive). The CPU can do it, but it is not specialized in that task. You're going to look at a GPU bottleneck over CPU bottleneck in most cases of new computer builds.
weableandbob
If you want to do 3D rendering, make sure you get a workstation card like an nVidia QuadroFX (I think that's the line, anyways). They're made to render things like CAD and animation very quickly.
ahnguye5
It's interesting that the GPU is mentioned as the core component for 3D rendering. It makes sense because even software like VLC's media player tout hardware acceleration which basically offloads graphics intensive operations to the GPU. I helped a friend of mine build a workstation to use with Cinema4D; I do not remember which graphics card we chose but we did go with a hexacore AMD CPU.

I'm not familiar enough with Cinema4D or 3D rendering in general, but it seems to me that the bottleneck was with the CPU. Whenever he would render, we saw six squares (I assume those were the cores) running around the screen completing the task. There might me some option in the software to enable hardware acceleration that we haven't discovered. Distributed rendering solutions such as NetRender also imply that the task of 3D rendering is CPU intensive.