FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Food for thought! How much data do we collectively have...

IceCreamTruck
Food for thought!

I was told the other day that if you take all human data stored on hard drives, CDs, DVDs, audio tape, flash drives, zip drives, data in libraries and the archive of the library of congress plus any other imaginable data storage device and you took this data and then put it into one string that you still only have about 10% of one human DNA strand.

Imagine now the mountain that DNA scientists have to climb in order to fully map the human genome completely! Imagine how much data we will have to create just to remember and use all that data in some way shape or form. The scale of it blows my mind, and illustrates for me how far we've come, and how far we must go in order to master our universe and ourselves.

Get this... it also means that nature still has us beat on data storage and processing ability. Chemical reactions can work the entire DNA chain in minutes/hours... not days as you might expect.

We are still so very small when compared to the universe or compared to where we will be if we are allowed to survive indefinitely. This would require leaving earth, or at least partially colonizing known space, as the earth probably won't sustain us long enough for us to reach a full understanding of even ourselves.

Get busy evolving people... we have a long way to go! Ha, the majority of us are still stuck in or on old systems of control and religion, not science like we all should be at this point. Sure, I'm asking a lot since we've only just come this far this fast, and I feel it will be a few more generations before many of the old systems of control are obsolete. At least the extinction of religion has started. I don't intend for the death of faith, but instead, call for constant evaluation of the truth as we know it instead of allowing our past to dictate the truth from days of lesser understanding. We have so much to process, absorb, understand, and put to use that we cannot continue to put old information to use as it no longer applies in many cases. Renew our perspective and solidify truth with science and use that to make choices instead of blind faith. Blind faith is still only required where we have no understanding.
Insanity
I've heard something to the effect that if you were to play the DNA strands of one person end to end, they'd wrap around the earth... or something like that. Too lazy to look it up.
IceCreamTruck
Insanity wrote:
I've heard something to the effect that if you were to play the DNA strands of one person end to end, they'd wrap around the earth... or something like that. Too lazy to look it up.

I've actually heard that too.

So, what do you think about all human data only being 10% of a human DNA strand worth of info? That thought blows my mind.

Will we ever match or beat natures natural processing and data storage capabilities? We think computers are pretty cool, but this thought makes computers kinda seem weak.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Get busy evolving people... we have a long way to go! Ha, the majority of us are still stuck in or on old systems of control and religion, not science like we all should be at this point.
Well there is another option, become a vampire! Apparently you then get to live for hundreds of years, and can be an active part of all the evolving instead of leaving it for future generations .... Very Happy
ankitdatashn
Umm not sure about that DNA thing encircling earth but I guess I have heard about the veins, that f all blood vessels were put in one straight line then it would encircle earth, I guess these might be rumours as well!

Anyways... Your DP suggests you are quite promoting your logic Razz (revolving earth)
IceCreamTruck
ankitdatashn wrote:
Anyways... Your DP suggests you are quite promoting your logic Razz (revolving earth)

DP? It's best to not use abbreviations here because you have many people from many fields coming together. DP means something different to programmers, scientists, and doctors.

Elaborate on your whole statement, as I don't follow "quite promoting your logic Razz (revolving earth)"

It's not absolutely necessary for me to understand, but I'd like to know what you mean.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
ankitdatashn wrote:

DP? It's best to not use abbreviations here because you have many people from many fields coming together. DP means something different to programmers, scientists, and doctors.

Elaborate on your whole statement, as I don't follow "quite promoting your logic Razz (revolving earth)"

It's not absolutely necessary for me to understand, but I'd like to know what you mean.
Talking about revolving earth (or spinning earth), is it my imagination and ICT's globe is spinning the wrong way round? Sort of not on its axes? It should be leaning slightly to the side, and gravitating instead of bouncing? Shocked Very Happy

Like so:

OK, I get it, maybe it depends where one is looking from, from the North or South pole? This one is quite awesome ..... Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
is it my imagination and ICT's globe is spinning the wrong way round? Sort of not on its axes? It should be leaning slightly to the side, and gravitating instead of bouncing? Shocked Very Happy

It's not your imagination and it's called retrograde! Smile Yes, sometimes I live life completely backwards to the normal way of doing things, but only to improve my perspective, because I figure almost everyone has no clue, doesn't know where they are going, and will die with regret, so I don't want to live like them at all. I want to know myself, and my world, and truly live while I am here.

When given a choice I choose both. Red or Blue? I'll take Purple. Orange or Apple? I'll eat both. Chicken or Beef? Half-and-Half. Left or Right? Go right, and come back to left to see where it goes. I do this to experience more rather than exclude one half of all options in my life like many people don't notice they are doing.

Flame out, don't burn out, and BTW... if you ever hear that I went down in flames over the Andes Mountains, then rejoice for me because you will know for sure that I died happy, and I didn't have to die of old age. Just reread my "going on a trip to south america" post and be inspired to truly live your life to it's fullest potential.
standready
deanhills wrote:
Well there is another option, become a vampire!

Dean, you are becoming quite the comedian. Vampire not an option for me!
IceCreamTruck
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I agree... not an option even if it were possible, and that someone put some happy pills in Dean's fiber this morning.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I agree... not an option even if it were possible, and that someone put some happy pills in Dean's fiber this morning.
He, he ..... Good point, personally I'd hate to live for that long ..... unless I can change all the time into a fish eagle, or horse, or a dolphin. But yes, I get it you'd probably not like to live on a liquid diet of blood only. Twisted Evil
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
... unless I can change all the time into a fish eagle, or horse, or a dolphin.

I understand fish eagle even though it's not from my part of the world, and I hadn't heard that before. We have Golden and Bald Eagles here. Everyone wants to be able to fly!

I understand dolphin because everyone wants to be able to swim and live free like they do.

I'm not really following you on the "horse" idea though. Can I call you Mr. Ed? Ah, damn... he broken a leg... Melba, go get my gun and take the kids inside. lol ... ah, Dean, you don't deserve this treatment from me, and I hope the happy pills haven't worn off yet.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I'm not really following you on the "horse" idea though. Can I call you Mr. Ed? Ah, damn... he broken a leg... Melba, go get my gun and take the kids inside. lol ... ah, Dean, you don't deserve this treatment from me, and I hope the happy pills haven't worn off yet.
Golden eagle is special, but I do like bald eagles, particularly the ones I used to see off Stanley Park on the sea wall (Vancouver, BC). I'm not an expert on horses, but admire them as being a bit more savvy and intelligent than human beings are. I particularly admire the Spanish Mustang horses, like the ones below:

IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:

This is a really pretty horse.

I have bad luck with horses then, because I think horses and people are generally pretty dumb. A horse rubbed my sister's leg up against a tree because the saddle was bothering it on that side, and caused a lot of damage to her leg, another horse threw a friend of mine because there was this little kids play bucket on the ground, and it didn't know what it was, and somehow the object on the ground startled it. Another horse pinned my friend against the back side of the house, and tried to kill him by turning around and giving him both barrels... he missed, but we have a picture of my friend with the two hoof prints on the outside wall of the house, and they fit perfect on both sides of his head. Needless to say they had that horse put down, and it was a total loss of everything invested in the horse. The horse wasn't like that when they bought it either... it just, inexplicably, went insane and they were anything but abusive horse owners. They treated their horses more like dogs... especially since they had great danes that were almost the size of the horses (not really but the dogs were huge, and you could ride them too!). Personally I've been lucky cause I've been bucked off more motor cycles than horses. The extra gear I was wearing always seemed to help, cause I never got hurt... should have worn that gear when horseback riding too.

^ that was Tennessee, and below is Kentucky V

The worst story I have is something that some Derby people told me about a friend of theirs one time when I was hanging antennas for them to be able to stream video to the house from the barn during the spring because they breed horses. Thoroughbred horse, cost millions, was being transfered to a close friend of theirs barn, and it freaked out on the person controlling it, and it ran through a fence, apparently didn't even try to jump, ran around the barn and between a car and another fence but a car door was open, so the horse collided with the car door and the fence, getting blood everywhere at this point. Apparently the struggle with the car opened a hole in the fence so the horse then stumbled out in to the pasture, and took down two more fences across the pasture.

From what I heard he tried to jump the pasture fences, but failed miserably on both because they are naturally too high to jump and two fields of around 20-25 horses, theirs and the neighboring farm, got mixed at that point, but the horse that caused all of it was loosing power at this point because he'd lost a lot of blood, so the owner, who had gone to get his rifle when the horse hit the car in the second of three collisions finally had to shoot it in front of the large portion of their stock, so all the horses were nervy for months after that, and they were worried that it would happen again with some of the more temperamental horses, which Thoroughbreds have a tendency to be anyway.

To this day I don't think that story will ever be beat, cause that horse costs millions (exactly amount never disclosed), the car was Mercedes SUV (horse people car), multiple fences, and clean up. On top of all that you have general unrest that all the horses experienced for months afterward. It was crazy. My friends had taken put some of their friends horses up in their barn while their friend focused on repairs, and cleanup. All I did was ask them how things were going, and I got that story.

Thoroughbreds are definitely not smart. Fear is a lack of understanding to me. Once you fully understand something, then it's hard to be afraid. They are constantly jumpy and afraid because they have trouble with understanding. In-breeding doesn't help either.
ocalhoun
Data thread... *bored*
Wait a minute... ! Horse thread! Yay!

IceCreamTruck wrote:
They treated their horses more like dogs...

Well, there's your problem; horses are not dogs.
Quote:

Thoroughbred horse, cost millions, was being transfered to a close friend of theirs barn, and it freaked out on the person controlling it, and it ran through a fence,

For a size-equivilant enclosure, let's put you in a shower stall for 23 hours a day, for your whole life, and see if that causes you to go crazy eventually. ^.^
Quote:
In-breeding doesn't help either.

Yeah, that's true too.
IceCreamTruck
ocalhoun wrote:
Data thread... *bored*
Wait a minute... ! Horse thread! Yay!

IceCreamTruck wrote:
They treated their horses more like dogs...

Well, there's your problem; horses are not dogs.

They didn't keep them in their house, and let them jump up on their laps while watching a movie... I mean they loved them like dogs instead of some people I know of who really treat horses like they have the same level of feelings as a tractor - all work, and no enjoyment. This family even spent a lot of money when the vet said not to try helping one of their horses that was going lame... they barely caught it in time, and it was worth it, but event the vet pleasantly surprised. That's love, and the ended up going with another vet the next time who understood their commitment and love for the animals.

ocalhoun wrote:

IceCreamTruck wrote:

Thoroughbred horse, cost millions, was being transfered to a close friend of theirs barn, and it freaked out on the person controlling it, and it ran through a fence,

For a size-equivilant enclosure, let's put you in a shower stall for 23 hours a day, for your whole life, and see if that causes you to go crazy eventually. ^.^

I work in a cubicle ... does that count? Am I crazy? lol

PS. 600 posts! Sweet
PPS. How did we get on horses? Original topic: All Human data storage combined 10% of a DNA chain. I'd like to know how that makes you feel about how far we've come vs. how far we still have to go as a race.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Original topic: All Human data storage combined 10% of a DNA chain. I'd like to know how that makes you feel about how far we've come vs. how far we still have to go as a race.
I think human beings have been designed to deal with the 10%, if there were more storage to deal with, then their design would have change, otherwise they will go loony tunes. They may need to have longer lives, have more serotonins in their brains so they can deal with stress better, do things much faster. In other words they would need to evolve onto a higher plane.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Original topic: All Human data storage combined 10% of a DNA chain. I'd like to know how that makes you feel about how far we've come vs. how far we still have to go as a race.
I think human beings have been designed to deal with the 10%, if there were more storage to deal with, then their design would have change, otherwise they will go loony tunes. They may need to have longer lives, have more serotonins in their brains so they can deal with stress better, do things much faster. In other words they would need to evolve onto a higher plane.

It's the chicken or the egg argument. Which comes first: us figuring out a way to unregulate the brain at 10% and go on to achieve enlightenment, or meditated and focus to achieve enlightenment to start using the rest of our brains?

It's not what the 10% I'm talking about above is, however. The 10% above is the combination of all CDs, DVDs, Audio/Video/Backup tapes, blueray disk, hard drives, flash drives, the library of congress, and all medical and science documents put into one big long line of 1s and 0s. That is only 10% of the length of 1 DNA strand spelled out in 1s and 0s. We have identified markers on that huge line of code, but we are still a long way away from being able to understand it, or being able to even store it.

Quantum computers are going to help tremendously, however. That actually stands a chance to make us competitive with the awesome processing power and data storage capabilities of nature.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Quantum computers are going to help tremendously, however. That actually stands a chance to make us competitive with the awesome processing power and data storage capabilities of nature.
How long do you think before quantum computers could be commercially available for home owners? I want a quantum computer .... Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
How long do you think before quantum computers could be commercially available for home owners? I want a quantum computer .... Very Happy

They are scaling them just like they scaled computers originally. See Bill Gates said no one will ever need more than 64kb of ram a while back, but what he wasn't considering is how fast computers would be scaled up, or how fast what we calculate on them would become exponential.

From what I hear they are currently down around 6, whereas they need to be scaled 94 more times to be competitive with modern transistor computers.

Proving quantum computers are possible: make a transistor from an atom which apparently they recently have. Transistor has 2 states: on and off, or 1 and 0. Quantum equivalent (which is much smaller) has 6 states: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (I'm assuming they would start with Zero again)
Scaling it: going from 1 to 2, from 2 to 4, from 4 to 8, from 8 to 16, and so on....

Here's something else I see that's probably working out well for them. 1 quantum transistor with 6 states can store the data of two regular transistors, and that leaves two states to spare. I wish you could slip a third transistor in there, but that would require 8 states.

I also wonder about heat, and how well they hold up, or if it's pretty much the same as in conventional computers. In other words exciting an atom with heat might change it's state on top of things like electromagnetic fields being an issue even in conventional computers.
goutha
Before arriving to the quantum computers age, we are living in the cloud computing era. And this is amazing!
IceCreamTruck
goutha wrote:
Before arriving to the quantum computers age, we are living in the cloud computing era. And this is amazing!

Agreed! I can throw my laptop in the river and loose nothing but a laptop. I no longer loose work or man-hours on a project or multiple projects. Ugh, I've had some bad computer days where I lost a lot of data that was not backed up in the cloud but that's all behind us. Haha, it was the computer dark ages!! Smile

PS. And just for good measure I threw my phone in while you weren't looking. Dude, you should have seen it skip 36 times!