FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What are Obama's chances for re-election?

deanhills
Obama will be running for re-election, and he has started his campaign. What do you think are his chances for re-election?

Looks as though the following points will be the themes he will be running his presidential campaign on:

1. Economic Improvement

2. Unpopular Republican Cuts and Legislation

3. Weaknesses of potential Republican Adversaries

I think he stands a very good chance. The Republicans obviously don't have their act together, and I don't see real leaders. Just lots of garbage cans clanging together?

Source: Yahoo!News
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

3. Weaknesses of potential Republican Adversaries

And that's why he'll win.

Obama may have lost a lot of support, but nobody on 'the other side' even comes close.

(I could, of course, wish upon a star for a third party presidential candidate to make a serious run, but this is unfortunately unlikely...
Heck, I'd even settle for a tea party candidate in the running... I wouldn't vote for him -- unless by some miracle they put up one that is actually for smaller government -- but I would still appreciate having more options to choose from.)

--Will probably vote for a third party candidate anyway, (reference 'throwing your vote away' thread).
liljp617
Fairly good I would assume. The incumbent generally has an advantage and most citizens are quite unaware of anything that's going on. Which means he can speak his way into another term.
ayour
I am not that optimistic for his win due to many reasons : his international relations were"nt that good , i think also that obama have problems with transparency and i think republicans are more trusted by americans because they want a leader who is 100% american who believes in America and who is willing to make hard choices to save future generations from the burden of our mistakes.
Smile
jmi256
I'd agree that his chances are pretty good. He's been able to raise tons of money from large corporations, Wall Street and the healthcare insurance industry as "thanks" for his policies that have immensely benefited them, and I would assume that they would continue to ride the gravy train. And he'll need that money for marketing and advertising to make people think his policies are effective or good ideas.

There's also the issue of his diehard supporters who have no interest in holding him accountable but rather are quite willing to engage in their idiotic hero-worship. I would vote for either party as long as the candidate was willing to return the rule of law and follow the Constitution.

[/img]
catscratches
How convinient to simply label supporters of a position other than yours morons. That way you don't have to back it up with reason.
deanhills
catscratches wrote:
How convinient to simply label supporters of a position other than yours morons. That way you don't have to back it up with reason.
Moron is a bit rash, isn't it? I thought jmi's comments were of the ironic kind, and not too far off the beaten track. If one goes down memory lane, and calculate the amount of debt that has been accumulated, relative to the income and benefits that have been accrued, I'm almost certain Obama must feature highest in the list of Presidents of money that has been thrown to the wind. The unemployment rate is still the same as it was when he started, he went for trying to create service jobs instead of stimulating technology and industry, I don't think he was the worst President there has been to date, but money and economy wise, I would give him a strong thumbs down. Problem is, there is no worthy opposition to him, so this guy is going to continue regardless of whether he was good or bad at the job. Ocalhoun put it very well earlier in the discussion, and I agree with him.
liljp617
jmi256 wrote:
I'd agree that his chances are pretty good. He's been able to raise tons of money from large corporations, Wall Street and the healthcare insurance industry as "thanks" for his policies that have immensely benefited them, and I would assume that they would continue to ride the gravy train. And he'll need that money for marketing and advertising to make people think his policies are effective or good ideas.

There's also the issue of his diehard supporters who have no interest in holding him accountable but rather are quite willing to engage in their idiotic hero-worship. I would vote for either party as long as the candidate was willing to return the rule of law and follow the Constitution.

[/img]

Every politician's diehard supporters act the same way...that is kind of the meaning of the phrase diehard supporters. Most politicians have them.
ocalhoun
catscratches wrote:

*ahem*
"tea party members"

I'll just leave that here. ^.^
eberhard
obama will win the election because he killied bin aden
deanhills
eberhard wrote:
obama will win the election because he killied bin aden
I don't agree. He will win because there is no viable alternative. The Republicans don't have any nominees for President that can get even close to Obama. That does not say Obama is great, just that the opposition is non-existent.
Ankhanu
ayour wrote:
I am not that optimistic for his win due to many reasons : his international relations were"nt that good , i think also that obama have problems with transparency and i think republicans are more trusted by americans because they want a leader who is 100% american who believes in America and who is willing to make hard choices to save future generations from the burden of our mistakes.
Smile

I might be a bit off base here, being Canadian and all, but, just about every American presidential candidate is 100% American and believes in America... that's a defining character of the people who want to be president and actively pursue it Razz Whether Republican, Democrat, independent, or what have you, they all want what's best for America... they just have different interpretations and approaches to what is best.

To claim that someone like Obama, or Democrats in general, are not 100% American is utter BS, and you've just fallen for the opposition's propaganda.

deanhills wrote:
I don't agree. He will win because there is no viable alternative. The Republicans don't have any nominees for President that can get even close to Obama.

That said, as I recall, Obama's candidacy kind of came out of left field, didn't it? Yet, here he is, president.

Who knows what unnoticed Republican might step up into the spotlight and actually have a strong platform and the charisma to push it forward.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
That said, as I recall, Obama's candidacy kind of came out of left field, didn't it? Yet, here he is, president.
Right, and how many people voted out of protest against Bush and the Republicans, rather than Obama's special qualities for having the potential to be a great President? I'd say that plenty of the votes were on the basis of creating some sort of Messiah out of Obama that he never was. And guess what, his left supporters soon got to hate him, as once he became President, he completely steered centre and abandoned his left policies of his presidential campaign. GITMO is still alive, etc. etc.

Ankhanu wrote:
Who knows what unnoticed Republican might step up into the spotlight and actually have a strong platform and the charisma to push it forward.
There would be no one more happy than me if that should happen. As I can't believe that McCain and Palin are all that the Party has to offer in terms of leadership. They really need someone young and vibrant, perhaps the same age as Cameron in the UK or John Kennedy, and someone who can deliver the goods in terms of presenting solutions to problems, instead of pointing at problems only, like how bad Obama is doing with regard to the economy. The "bad economy" mantra has become as stale as Obama pointing fingers at Bush. Fortunately it looks as though Obama has stopped doing that.
Dennise
There are two very important additional points/themes.

4. JOBS

5. Ground troops remaining in the middle east.

Unless there has been a major reduction in both by November 2010, he'll loose.
ocalhoun
Dennise wrote:

4. JOBS

I can see why you would want a reduction in troops in the middle east, but why would his reelection hinge on reducing jobs?
Afaceinthematrix
Ankhanu wrote:

I might be a bit off base here, being Canadian and all, but, just about every American presidential candidate is 100% American and believes in America... that's a defining character of the people who want to be president and actively pursue it :P Whether Republican, Democrat, independent, or what have you, they all want what's best for America... they just have different interpretations and approaches to what is best.

I completely disagree. I don't think we've had a president who I felt was a true American since before our civil war in the 1860's. In fact, I think the wrong side lost that war (don't call me a racist (slavery is terrible) because despite this persistent rumor even among Americans, that war was not about slavery - it was about state's rights vs. federal rights). The U.S. was founded upon a principle that the states should have the power - not the federal government. After the civil war, the federal government got a ridiculous amount of power and every president has taken it upon himself to use that power and effectively, use power that, based on true American principles, is not his to have.

For instance, last election, my state of California had a proposition 19 on our ballot that, if passed, would have legalized marijuana for recreational purposes (which would have been a step towards actual freedom rather than a restriction on personal freedom). However, our beloved president would have fought this ballot if it had passed to insure two things:

1) That despite our constitution which should give us basic freedoms like the choice to use marijuana or to not use marijuana, Obama wants to insure that he can restrict our freedom (in my opinion, if you don't believe that things like marijuana and prostitution should be legalized then you don't believe in freedom, you don't agree with the U.S. constitution, and you are not a true American)

2) More importantly: He wanted to make sure that, even though the states were granted more power than the federal government by the construction of this country, that California doesn't actually get to use its power that was granted to it by the constitution and that the federal government gets to continue to abuse its illegitimate power and keep the states in check.

Point of my rant? I hate Obama and most politicians.

Now that I've responded to Ankhanu, I'll respond to the OP. I highly believe that Obama will win this election. Eberhard said it well. Obama "killed" (even though it was the work of Navy Seals) Bin Laden and nothing could have been more popular than that.
bukaida
Obama has failed in several fields and lost some supports. But there is no strong opposition against him. So for this reason he may be re-elected.
Dennise
ocalhoun wrote:
Dennise wrote:

4. JOBS

I can see why you would want a reduction in troops in the middle east, but why would his reelection hinge on reducing jobs?

Unemployment REDUCTION = JOBS increase. Sorry.

And of course I meant to say November 2012.