FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I am very small, but I'm here! :)

IceCreamTruck
I am very small, but I'm here! Smile

I figured I would take a moment to just say hello to "the Universe"! Pretty cool cause I would have been very curious what it meant if someone told me I was going to say hello to the universe this morning. Would I still have skipped breakfast?

On this scale I feel very small, and my voice infinitely so to anyone who could hear it beyond our atmosphere and most definitely drowned out in other, more industrious noises the human race makes. At our best we're screaming in the dark, and it's unlikely that anything can hear us, so if a tree falls in the forest?

BTW, seeing how people keep reporting bacteria in meteorites

What do you think? Is this end of the galaxy "infected" with life -or- a strange case of what goes up must come down -or- the whole universe is thus infected and life on other planets is mathematically assured -or- God put that here with dinosaur bones to mess with our heads? Smile

I think there's a poll happening here... I'll work on it

update: I'm leaving this here because I said hello to the universe, and I can't take that back, but the poll will probably appear in the "life" sub-forum
ocalhoun
IceCreamTruck wrote:

if someone told me I was going to say hello to the universe this morning. Would I still have skipped breakfast?

Only if the universe was going to listen to me when I did.
IceCreamTruck
ocalhoun wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

if someone told me I was going to say hello to the universe this morning. Would I still have skipped breakfast?

Only if the universe was going to listen to me when I did.

If everyone waited for a response, gratification, acknowledgement or respect then nothing would ever get done. Sure, responses come, but I acted first without thought of acknowledgement in order to make sure something happened. It helps that my life has been boring me to death lately... ie. any response is infinitely more than nothing.

BTW, my statement about being small is only half true. Human's are beat on both fronts by size: it is possible for something to be too big to see, and we're beat on the small side of size as it's definitely possible for things to be too small to see. Our constant struggle with bacteria proves this, and serves as a reminder that what we can't see most definitely can hurt us.

When considering the universe one could argue that we are both too large, too small, and completely defeated by size. Personally, I wouldn't want to be any bigger because I see only problems with being too large, but smaller has lots of different utility for us... so much so I often wonder why evolution seems to be encouraging humans becoming larger when it's fraught with hardship, and definitely requires a greater expenditure of energy to move, over-come, or maintain.

Whatever the case we are rockin' this "mote of dust" (Carl Sagan)
saratdear
^You're talking about us becoming larger with respect to the earth. What if everything on earth is double the size, including us? Would that make much of a difference?
IceCreamTruck
saratdear wrote:
^You're talking about us becoming larger with respect to the earth. What if everything on earth is double the size, including us? Would that make much of a difference?

Yes, that would be horrible. If people aren't lazy enough imagine doubling their weight, and it really doesn't help them much even if they are twice as strong. Among those who could still move around there would be constant injury.

Does gravity double too? I'd have to work out the math, but I am curious what doubling the earth's mass would do to the level of gravity we experience, but I think that would double too, so we'd have twice as much weight to carry around before you considered the fact that you feel like you weigh four times as much as you originally did (2xWeight, plus 2xGravity)

I am curious in what way you mean by double the size would be better... if there was an advantage that you were thinking about then could you please share it as my mind is having trouble finding advantage in doubling everything... we'd have to change some laws of physics just to make it work because our current form is dictated by physical law. meaning: we evolved with some physical laws as constant, so an in depth look at the human form would reveal that we evolved on a planet with gravity at 1G (32ft per second^2).

I think people would complain twice as much! I wouldn't be able to stand it at that level because I'm barely able to take it now.

Answer this question: What do you think? Is this end of the galaxy "infected" with life -or- a strange case of what goes up must come down -or- the whole universe is thus infected and life on other planets is mathematically assured -or- God put that here with dinosaur bones to mess with our heads?

note: Bill hicks talks about meeting a Christian that actually believed that dinosaur bones where just a trick played by God, which is fun to poke fun at, but not the conversation topic here.