FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nintendo's greatest franchise?

DanBernet
So, out of all the games exclusive to Nintendo consoles, which is your favourite.

I prefer Pokemon, one of my favourite games of all time. Zelda is a very close second though. I think I like Pokemon the most because it introduced me to RPGs, and I discovered how fun it was to level up in games, and to try and collect new Pokemon as you went through the game, rather than having one, or being a person as you battle

Removed Spam Links - ocalhoun
Dementei
Yea Zelda is probably the greatest of them all, can't think of any other franchise for N64 that is better atm.
Nameless
Smash brothers is inherently better than all of Nintendo's other franchise because it includes most of them. The math is simple! Razz

Aside from that, you'd have to say Mario just because of the sheer number of spin-offs and cold hard cash that have come out of it.
LostOverThere
Nameless wrote:
Aside from that, you'd have to say Mario just because of the sheer number of spin-offs and cold hard cash that have come out of it.

Even in terms of quality though, the main console Mario series is near perfect. I'm quite a fan of the Metroid series as well, but there's definitely some weak entries there too (Metroid II, Other M, etc.)
Ankhanu
Nameless wrote:
Smash brothers is inherently better than all of Nintendo's other franchise because it includes most of them. The math is simple! Razz

See, I would refer to Smash Bros. as an example of something that is lesser than the sum of its parts Razz
weableandbob
Either Zelda or Super Smash Bros.; Zelda for its story and dungeons, SSB for its awesome multiplayer.
QrafTee
My favorite is Super Smash Bros. because its all of their franchises in one duking it out. However, single franchises... I'd have to say Pokemon left an impression on me and it still has this miraculous ability to sell hundreds of thousands of copies without breaking a sweat or changing its formula.
eday2010
The Mario platformers, hands down. The 2D ones are especially as close to perfection as a game can get. But just about all of their franchises are fantastic.
rayxzero
Pokemon is the best rpg for for handheld and also zelda because of being an action and puzzle game. I Like mario for platform games.
ayour
i prefer Pokemon too it's the best RPG and travian .
LostOverThere
Interesting to see so many votes for Pokémon! I need to play it again. The last Pokémon game I owned was Ruby... Confused
rayxzero
LostOverThere wrote:
Interesting to see so many votes for Pokémon! I need to play it again. The last Pokémon game I owned was Ruby... Confused

Me own only the old yellow version.
drunkenkoz
I would say that Nintendo had two great franchises and that would be the Nintendo 64 and their Game Boy. Nintendo 64 because it had games such as Zelda, Super Smash Brother, Mario Party, Perfect Dark, and Golden Eye. The Game Boy had the popular series of Pokemon games, which made it big. All in all the Nintendo 64 and Game Boy would be the greatest franchises of Nintendo.
Niels
It's Pokémon Wink
LostOverThere
drunkenkoz wrote:
I would say that Nintendo had two great franchises and that would be the Nintendo 64 and their Game Boy. Nintendo 64 because it had games such as Zelda, Super Smash Brother, Mario Party, Perfect Dark, and Golden Eye. The Game Boy had the popular series of Pokemon games, which made it big. All in all the Nintendo 64 and Game Boy would be the greatest franchises of Nintendo.

The Nintendo 64 or Game Boy aren't franchises though. They're consoles. A franchise would be something like Zelda or Mario. Hope this helps. Smile
Nameless
LostOverThere wrote:
The Nintendo 64 or Game Boy aren't franchises though. They're consoles.

Going by an alternate interpretation of franchise, the authorisation to manufacture and distribute consoles in a country technically counts as franchising, meaning that drunkenkoz should logically win the thread.
emanuel2
Zelda, Mario and Pokemon games are really great and therefore good system sellers
william
Greatest? In terms of sheer game quality, it would be either Metroid or Legend of Zelda. In terms of impact, either Mario or Pokemon. In terms of amount of fun I've had, Metroid, F-Zero, and Super Smash Bros.

If I had to pick one, it would be Metroid simply because (with the exception of Other M) it has never disappointed and always been an amazing experience. Though I'm tempted to say Super Smash Bros just because it gives you a taste of everything. Razz
Nameless
emanuel2 wrote:
Zelda, Mario and Pokemon games are really great and therefore good system sellers

At what point did the quality of a game start determining it's popularity?

At no point, that's when. There are plenty of equally greater or greater games that your average Nintendo fanboy probably hasn't even heard of. Sad
catscratches
Nameless wrote:

At what point did the quality of a game start determining it's popularity?
Not the quality alone, no, but it's a huge part of the equation. Quality + familiarity + marketability = good system seller.
wombatrpgs
LostOverThere wrote:

I wouldn't say you've necessarily missed much...

But I really have no idea what my favorite franchise would be. My favorite game in the Zelda series is still Zelda II for some reason, and I definitely enjoyed all the Smash games, but it seems weird to like a franchise rather than individual games.
LostOverThere
william wrote:
If I had to pick one, it would be Metroid simply because (with the exception of Other M) it has never disappointed and always been an amazing experience. Though I'm tempted to say Super Smash Bros just because it gives you a taste of everything. Razz

I used to say this too, in regards to Metroid. With that being said, looking back, Metroid has had some shaky experiences. I don't think Metroid Prime 2, for example, is that much fun in retrospect.
drunkenkoz
Nameless wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
The Nintendo 64 or Game Boy aren't franchises though. They're consoles.

Going by an alternate interpretation of franchise, the authorisation to manufacture and distribute consoles in a country technically counts as franchising, meaning that drunkenkoz should logically win the thread.

Yeah consoles are a franchise and their systems would count under that.
wombatrpgs
...though by the definition in this thread, it's more like series.