FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Huck Finn

What do you think?
Keep it the same!
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
Change it to a word like "Slaves".
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ban this book in ALL schools!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Who cares it just a book...
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

foumy6

Hey, so I've been reading Huck finn, and I've also been reading about all the controversey it has caused. So I am just wondering what you thing should be done. If you do not know what I am talking about please read below
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The book huck finn uses the racial slur "N##ger" many times through out the story. Some people say the word should be removed others say its should be changed to a word like "slaves", and others say that is should be left alone.
So what I'm wondering what you think. Feel free to post your opinion in comments, but also please vote in the pole on what you think Smile
alos: the book has some copies available with the word totally removed from it, this made the story very hard to follow so I am removing that option from the poll and am instead putting in "ban this book from schools ALL"(which it is in some)
another view is that it isn's the same story with it removed and that it was not a racial slur at the time it was written, and some find slave for offencive than the other word is in the first place
Im not trying to be bias or anythng I have my opinion and am just wondering what your is.
Ankhanu
I think it should be left as is. Why should it be changed? It's reflective of the time and perceptions, and Twain used it judiciously, in part, to highlight the racial injustices. Changing it because some people get offended easily is kinda foolish, imo.

It should be read critically, just like anything else. If educators are uncomfortable broaching the subject of racism and helping people see past uncomfortable terminology to get to the roots of what is being portrayed, I dare say they are in the wrong line of work. That is the job of an educator, to... educate Razz
missdixy
I agree with the poster above me.

The word is part of the history of the time. While it is no longer a socially-appropriate word (thank goodness!) it's still part of history. To remove it would be an erasure of history.
foumy6
yes i agree with all of you I just want to know what everybody thinks Smile
Ankhanu
I would have expected more thoughts on this subject Razz I'd heard about this campaign a couple weeks ago, it seemed like a kinda big deal.
foumy6
wow i really exspected more people to discuss about
Ankhanu
Me too Razz I was under the impression that it was a kinda hot literary topic.

Ah well, never can underestimate human apathy Wink
foumy6
still nothing.............. wow :/
Blummer
This book depicts the situation in that age. So it can not be changed. Using of that word is offensive today, but this book is one those good documents of that era.
c'tair
I believe it's some sick kind of censorship. Political correctness gone wild.

Why not go the whole nine yards and edit history books like this as well? Surely, there's a lot of stuff that may hurt people's feelings. I for one would cut out a few wars and just imagine how much politicians would give to edit out some things?

What's happening here is remarkably similar to what G. Orwell wrote - people trying to force language to change culture. Do they really think that by getting rid of a word, racism will start to fade?

Maybe they think that bad words make people bad?
donoob88
when i was a kid i use to watch cartoons, 1 of those is the huck finn, and he has a bestfriend named tom soyer, right? i forgot about the spelling.. but in books, i dont try it, i dont even see a book of that.. anyway, its a nice cartoons of that time.. this is long ago, nearly 20 years or something Wink Wink
Hello_World
Not so much discussion perhaps, because it appears most people here agree with the same point of view?

It isn't the first time this censorship issue has come along. One I can think of is Noddy which was banned because Noddy lived with a man (Big ears) so some such stupidity.

it is a good chance for teachers to discuss the issues around this too I think.
Ankhanu
Hello_World wrote:
Not so much discussion perhaps, because it appears most people here agree with the same point of view?

It isn't the first time this censorship issue has come along. One I can think of is Noddy which was banned because Noddy lived with a man (Big ears) so some such stupidity.

IIRC, the Noddy issues were largely due to the overtly racist Golliwog characters. Hell, even before I had a concept of racism, I felt uneasy about those character portrayals in the books I had as a child. They didn't seem... right.