FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

best free antivirus plus firewall

portoskt
ok guys, i need your opinion... what is best freeware for antivirus and firewall protection... i want maximum protection, but i dont want my computer work slow
cybersa
In my opinion for best protection separate Antivirus and Firewall is best.

Antivirus:Avast

Firewall:Comodo Firewall
achowles
I also recommend Comodo for a firewall (even if it does insist on the odd false positive despite just being a firewall).

But for an antivirus I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials. That's very good but nowhere near as bloated as Avast has become. I used to use Avast but it really slows everything down these days.
menino
I think a really good free antivirus is avira antivirus.
Avast is good, but yes, lately its been bloated and slows down the system. But if your machine is fast, and powerful, then it would make sense to install it, anyways.
Has anyonw tried sophos antivirus, free edition?

Another free antivirus is Clamav, and it seems to be doing well in the linux market, but not sure how well is does on windows systems.
iyepes
I like AVG, it's free and updates daily.

There are plently of personal free firewalls. However if you want maximum protection... buy antivirus and firewall.

Even with the best antivirus, one gold rule is scan any removable media before opening it, most virus come in autorun format.
kourtaki
I am using ESET Smart Security.
Antivirus, antispam,firewall
All in one
Very good
IceCreamTruck
portoskt wrote:
ok guys, i need your opinion... what is best freeware for antivirus and firewall protection... i want maximum protection, but i dont want my computer work slow

I usually use AVG in conjunction with zonealarm firewall, but recently fell victim to their "beta" tester ploy to install zone alarm extreme security which is only a trail of 30 days... doesn't follow the expected beta tester plan I'm used to and that is that you get the software for free until the version you are using is released and you either have to pay for it then or continue beta testing on the latest version. So, zonealarm has kinda upset me, and I'm going to try a few options here once my trial period is over, cause I refuse to support this trickery that zonealarm is now employing to dupe you into a trial offer. I will either reinstall my old setup, avg and zonealarm free version, or I might try ESET first just to give someone else a chance to impress me.

Antivirus being extremely low profile is of utmost importance to me as I feel the threat from virus attack is now minimal especially since OS creators are finally getting a handle on what it means to create a fundamentally secure OS as a first line of defense.... sure I don't appreciate some of the hoops we have to jump through now, but as long as my system remains responsive, then the threat has been minimized. A few years back the situation was horrible because most computers were slowed by antivirus requiring too much of the system resources, but I made a lot of money helping people speed up their systems at the same time, so I was able to make the best of the situation, but honestly I'm ready for most of the OS changes that have come into play recently.

I would appreciate you telling us what you installed, and how it's working out for you, and some basic system specs to give us a reference point. I will do the same.
rovie
Hi everyone,

Here is a new antivirus that can help you to protect your PC's from all harmful viruses. This antivirus called W32/Mufanom Trojan Removal Tool. 1.0 It is the best antivirus in the market today. You can try it for free. It works well for me.
lifeplaysu420
personaly i would go with avg anti virus for free version go to http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage
IceCreamTruck
lifeplaysu420 wrote:
personaly i would go with avg anti virus for free version go to http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

That will never work! If you really want to hurt the original poster, then I suggest you say bad things about his mother! Another evil thread, ugh!

This is the "we've had too too many recommendations" line -------------------------------- (Don't cross it!)

If you cross to this side you are saying you love IceCreamTruck forever! Smile
SultanMA
The freewares sometimes isn't much like paid apps. To get the best anti-virus and firewall i suggest you to download the trial version of ESET anti-virus.

And see how your PC is fast and secured.
IceCreamTruck
SultanMA wrote:
The freewares sometimes isn't much like paid apps. To get the best anti-virus and firewall i suggest you to download the trial version of ESET anti-virus.

And see how your PC is fast and secured.

What you are really saying is that you love me forever? That's really nice.
lovelyviki
i do not think free antivirus can really protect computer,i never try about free antivirus.
IceCreamTruck
lovelyviki wrote:
i do not think free antivirus can really protect computer,i never try about free antivirus.

How do you know about anything that you haven't tried? Actually, antivirus is not required at all. I kept a computer for three years without antivirus, and I ran a scan on it before I gave it to a friend as a gift. Only tracking cookies were found (minor threat).

It's really about good browsing practices these days, but even I managed to get a trojan on my computer. Go figure it was from a security company that was just trying to get them to pay me for their security software to remove the trojan they put on my computer. Lucky for me I caught it quick, and disabled/unregistered it before it caused any real issues. Even then... it was my work computer with McAfee running on it, and that's PAID antivirus software. The trojan shut McAfee down really quick, and corrupted the McAfee installation. That's all the damage it did, and I haven't repaired McAfee -- why would I? It didn't even stop the one infection I've gotten on my work computer in four years.

Please stick to talking about what you know. I can easily list 5 FREE antivirus software packages that do just as good or better than paid antivirus. It's not hard to do better than Norton's or McAfee, as they are so large that virus and trojan now target them, and this isn't always the case with some of the free antivirus solutions, and there is some security in anonymity.

My recommendation is to stay up to date on your computer updates. Most, if not all current major threats, are related to windows patches that have been released but can do a lot of harm to people who don't update because the release of security patches informs the virus developers on back doors they can exploit to get to you. Often more viruses are released shortly after Microsoft releases an update, and they go out on the web looking for people who haven't closed the security hole by applying the patch or update. Set your computer to automatically check for updates, automatically download, and to install when ready. This way there isn't a large amount of hours between Microsoft releasing an update and you installing it. Close that gap and it will help keep you safe.

Sorry, but your statement speaks for itself that you shouldn't talk about free antivirus.
drunkenkoz
If you want a good anti-virus software combination I would recommend Malwarebytes and CCleaner. Then use the default Microsoft firewall because it works the best in my personal opinion. You just have to watch out for links that you click on because no firewall can protect you against that, that meaning stupidity.
IceCreamTruck
Two more people love me forever! This is great stuff!
ProfessorY91
IceCreamTruck wrote:
lovelyviki wrote:

Sorry, but your statement speaks for itself that you shouldn't talk about free antivirus.

I think the amount of effort put into each of your posts speaks for itself. lovelyviki has given us a textbook example of when one is not contributing meaningfully to the discussion. I really really wish frihost adopted a reddit/digg like system where people's posts were hidden at a certain threshold.

I will chip in and support our first responder, cybersa. Comodo and Avast, an excellent combination, though Comodo is known to be a bit resource heavy.
IceCreamTruck
ProfessorY91 wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
lovelyviki wrote:

I think the amount of effort put into each of your posts speaks for itself. lovelyviki has given us a textbook example of when one is not contributing meaningfully to the discussion. I really really wish frihost adopted a reddit/digg like system where people's posts were hidden at a certain threshold.

I will chip in and support our first responder, cybersa. Comodo and Avast, an excellent combination, though Comodo is known to be a bit resource heavy.

I agree that it would be cool to have a system where some posts can be limited as such, or even some forums, but some of the conversations on frihost really thrive on each post having as much weight as the others but appearing after it in the list. Some topics simply need to be locked after a few posts in order to maintain simplicity. This is why I humorously put "everyone who posts after this line is professing their love for me" because it's comical how many people post without reading.

This is supposed to be a antivirus discussion. Instead it's a list of what everyone has installed. Good information can be gleaned from that, and there's probably some good search words in here that are attracting new users, but I do find it a little comical that it's pretty far off base from what the OP intended.

* edit * Make a suggestion: Frihost Suggestions
ProfessorY91
IceCreamTruck wrote:

I agree that it would be cool to have a system where some posts can be limited as such, or even some forums, but some of the conversations on frihost really thrive on each post having as much weight as the others but appearing after it in the list. Some topics simply need to be locked after a few posts in order to maintain simplicity. This is why I humorously put "everyone who posts after this line is professing their love for me" because it's comical how many people post without reading.

I don't mean to be a sour apple, but as of late, I've come across very few posts that have any substance at all. There was a time where I actually enjoyed reading Frihost posts, but that's long past. There's not much that can be done about it either, save for implementing a system that would change the very nature of a forum.

As for your other concern... this topic isn't even valid - see http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-42288-15.html. Not only is it remarkable that people fail to read each post (though on very long threads, its very forgivable) - but it's even worse when they don't use the search feature. Particularly when there's already an official topic, and poll, on the exact same question they're asking.

IceCreamTruck wrote:

* edit * Make a suggestion: Frihost Suggestions

It's got a snowball's chance in hell of actually being implemented. If Frihost created a system that discriminated against users' intelligence, half (or more) of its userbase would throw up their hands in frustration and leave, or else risk being put in the permanent negatives.
menino
ProfessorY91 wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

I don't mean to be a sour apple, but as of late, I've come across very few posts that have any substance at all. There was a time where I actually enjoyed reading Frihost posts, but that's long past. There's not much that can be done about it either, save for implementing a system that would change the very nature of a forum.

Instead of banning the topic, can the moderators move the topics to existing topics, as add-ons?

I think that would be more plausible.

I sometimes like the topics in frihost, especially on the news, politics, finance and economics; and health.
Some topics are old though, and the replies are sent after a year, but still, it can be viewed as an update, but probably locking the post would be a good idea.
IceCreamTruck
ProfessorY91 wrote:
It's got a snowball's chance in hell of actually being implemented

I'm not always a happy go lucky elf with bells on my toes, but this is exactly the attitude that never gets anything done. The way I see it is that there is a growing need for frihost to adapt the platform to a more modern standard, and this is a progression that will never stop as new technologies arise in the market and hole populations of people move to the new standards.

Ideas that will help frihost survive in the market are, fortunately, something we can contribute to, and if you have an idea then we can at least create a thread and discuss, and because of the active participation of the admin you have no way of knowing that you didn't in some way impart some wisdom to them that will eventually effect the overall direction of frihost.

Honestly, if you aren't going to say anything good then you may try the old wisdom of not saying anything at all. Being quiet at least leaves room for doubt, but just speaking in the negative removes all doubt that you are just being grouchy, and it's not a good long term policy for making friends or gathering momentum behind good ideas.
tamilparks
cybersa wrote:

thanks
IceCreamTruck
tamilparks wrote:
cybersa wrote:

thanks

You may be asking for computer conflicts or generally running a lot more software than is needed in doubling up on anti-virus and firewall.

I am kind of enjoying zonealarm extreme security which is all three in one: firewall, anti-virus, and internet protection. It's also very light on my system and i don't have all three looking for updates... just one update for the entire package. Tech support is probably pretty nice on the combined system, and I only have to call one company, if I ever need it which I haven't.

I can definitely say you will spend more time on updating, and doubling up processes running in the background, and expose yourself to program conflicts which can greatly reduce performance of the system and can only be found if you spend even more time reading the specs on all the software from all the different companies, and they may not even include this information or have tested their product with the combination of products you are trying to use, SO I cannot side with you that this is always a good idea although I did pick and choose different products from a few different companies for a long time based on one criteria: all the software had to be free! Smile I have started paying for certain services where the free versions no longer suit my purposes. I am beta testing ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, so I keep getting 30 day trials over and over and I haven't had to pay yet. Zone alarm free is pretty sweet though as it allows you to see what's causing traffic. Commodo does the same
tamilparks
IceCreamTruck wrote:
tamilparks wrote:
cybersa wrote:

thanks

You may be asking for computer conflicts or generally running a lot more software than is needed in doubling up on anti-virus and firewall.

I am kind of enjoying zonealarm extreme security which is all three in one: firewall, anti-virus, and internet protection. It's also very light on my system and i don't have all three looking for updates... just one update for the entire package. Tech support is probably pretty nice on the combined system, and I only have to call one company, if I ever need it which I haven't.

I can definitely say you will spend more time on updating, and doubling up processes running in the background, and expose yourself to program conflicts which can greatly reduce performance of the system and can only be found if you spend even more time reading the specs on all the software from all the different companies, and they may not even include this information or have tested their product with the combination of products you are trying to use, SO I cannot side with you that this is always a good idea although I did pick and choose different products from a few different companies for a long time based on one criteria: all the software had to be free! Smile I have started paying for certain services where the free versions no longer suit my purposes. I am beta testing ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, so I keep getting 30 day trials over and over and I haven't had to pay yet. Zone alarm free is pretty sweet though as it allows you to see what's causing traffic. Commodo does the same

zonealarm is it free
IceCreamTruck
tamilparks wrote:
zonealarm is it free

Yes, click here ZoneAlarm Free
pirate
well off the top of my head the best free ones i would recommend would be, avira/avast with comodo
celebi269
My current OS is Windows 7.
I use Microsoft Security Essentials (LINK) - it's very efficient and is not a memory hog. I also like it's simple interface, but powerful protection.

For my firewall, I use the native Windows 7 firewall.

BTW, since I changed my OS to Win7, my PC has been virus free since then (with MSE as antivirus).
mukesh
can i use Comodo Firewall with any antivirus?
portoskt
best antivirus is you... be careful what are you doing online, and oyu will not have problems with viruses and other pests...
xSteam
Malwarebytes
or,
Microsoft Security Essentials.
Both are free, easy and don't use that much resources of your computer.
socials
I will recommend to you avast free antivirus. But if you have windows a firewall should be running? but avast give you some protection as a firewall.
sultana
AVG Free +ZoneAlarm

or AVAST and Comodo Firewall
sandip3201
In my experience comodo firewall is best, it will able to block all types of unauthorised access from any website or application..latest version of comodo firewall is 5

http://www.filekb.com/windows/download-comodo-firewall/
alphysudaria143
cybersa wrote:

I agree with this reply. Avast is the best computer protection since I was using this program now my pc has no problem at all.
plitzky
I use kaspersky internet security. It has been doing a good job so far. I don't trust freebies.
mukesh
portoskt wrote:

Hi portoskt

according to me i think best option is Windows 8. Inbuilt antivirus and firewall. think You should to try one time.
johans
i dont see at the moment that anti-virus and firewall in one hardware package. All i know is that a firewall can only built-in with anti-spam.

For anti-virus corporate you need to install a consule or administrator server in order for this to deploy to the Local area network.

My suggestion will be kaspersky anti-virus- very easy to manage at the server GUI and for you firewall i suggest sonic wall or cyberoam.
justinkemp99
You can choose between AVG, Immunet and Avast.
amagard
I am using Avira Antivirus and so far I am quiet happy with it. Sometimes when I wake up my computer it is doing some heavy scans, but this most likely is more a problem of Windows Vistas slow file system.

Lifehacker readers just voted for Avast! to be the best antivirus program.
steeve
Personally I a using Norton anti virus software. It works efficiently.
dude_xyx
I think Comodo anti virus would work great if you need a firewall too. I used it for years. It's free too unless you want their support.
EmreKozan
Best antivirus software = Eset smart security 7 Very Happy
foxwolfizzi
Microsoft Security Essentials is good and free for Windows user. Recommended antivirus
nam_siddharth
Microsoft Security Essential now know as Windows Defender is best anti virus for Windows users. It is integrated in Windows 10.