FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

so you think your pictures are unique ?

PGe-tips
so you think your pictures are unique ?

During my browsing about photography (one my hobbies), I stumbled upon this project:
http://www.corinnevionnet.com/index.php?/photo-opportunities/, this artist collected about 100 pictures of favorite tourist places through the internet, and then merged them into one single image.
Amazing how our memories collectively fade into another.

Especially the one of the NY, not only show the twin towers, but also a faint of the dust clouds of 9/11.

I love the idea about this project !
Makes you wonder if one of your picture might fit in there...
ocalhoun
Well, since I've taken pictures of places that no multi-celled organism has ever seen... yes I do think (at least some of) my pictures are unique. ^.^

"I laugh because you're all the same..." et cetera.

Though I do applaud the project... Perhaps it will inspire some people to do something slightly different than the thousands that came before them.
Ankhanu
This is a really neat project, and nicely highlights the photographers mantra, find your own perspective Smile

ocalhoun wrote:
Though I do applaud the project... Perhaps it will inspire some people to do something slightly different than the thousands that came before them.

I doubt it. Most people aren't shooting artistically, they're looking to shoot these icons so that they can remember they were there. They're not looking for something unique, they're just looking for their iconic shot.
tazone
well most of those pictures have postcards like them
and so people subconsciously try to make pictures like the postcards
thats why the pictures taken are so similar
coolclay
Quote:
well most of those pictures have postcards like them
and so people subconsciously try to make pictures like the postcards
thats why the pictures taken are so similar

Exactly right, especially tourists. Coming from a person that sort of lives in a tourist town, people take pictures of exactly the same things. Landmarks, friends, and family. There is really very little creativity, but I think people are mostly trying to capture memories not actual "photographic masterpieces".
IceCreamTruck
coolclay wrote:
trying to capture memories not actual "photographic masterpieces".

Even if you did capture an amazing picture almost no one would appreciate it for what it is. I know people who have taken pictures that will make you pause, make you feel alive, and make you think. Great photography, but they can't get work with it because no one cares about this amazing vision they have with a camera. I know a few of them, and most work at sub shops to pay the bills and continue their hobby that no one really seems to care for the product any more.

People are just collectively stupid this way, and lol cat images will continue to go viral while good photographers starve to death. It's just the way of the world. Luckily most really good photographers I know take the pictures for the moment, like hunting, but care little for how it is received by the public, and it's a good thing because they'd just be depressed.

I'll see about getting some to post here. I need to catch up with a few of them anyways.