FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Revamping of Forums

deanhills
I wonder whether the Board is in need of some revamping, so that it can keep trend with the current interest of posters and their preferences for topics? Some of the Sub-Forums are all but dead, and the Web Development and Scripting Sections can do with some major reorganization. Would be great if an expert or team of experts in Web Development for example could take charge of the Webmaster, Internet and Scripting Forums and completely reorganize them so that they can become more functional and alive?
cybersa
Yes,Really we need to Revamp the forum.
Many members replying to very old.
That's waste of time and memory.
Many dead links are found in Announcement forum.

My suggestion:
1.RE-Edit the Home Page with full description about free hosting and domain.
2.Delete unnecessary Announcement and Dead links.
3.Spread this hosting news in many free web hosting website.
4.Get something with coin such as Increase the space by 100MB or Bandwidth etc...It would attract the peoples.
5.Active and Good Moderate for this forum.
creativosred
Your idea sounds great ... there are many inactive forums. Hopefully the admin.

Razz
cybersa
Admin should upgrade this forum to latest version.
Because there is no Online User option icon near the avatar,this forum have some bugs like page number are filled completely across the screen.You can see here http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-19667.html
ocalhoun
cybersa wrote:
Admin should upgrade this forum to latest version.

Now, that's a completely different topic...
The main reason it won't happen is because many modifications have been custom-made for these forums, and if they were upgraded to the newer version, most of the modifications would be lost, and they would need to be re-made from scratch.
Quote:

this forum have some bugs like page number are filled completely across the screen.You can see here http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-19667.html

I actually prefer that rather than forums that list pages like: 1,2,3,4 ... 12,13,14,15 ...67,68,69.
That may look more aesthetically pleasing, but if you want page 54 or page 7, it's going to be difficult to get to.
The best option of all is a page selection drop-down box, but failing that, I'd prefer to have all pages listed.
cybersa
Ok,Leave that.

Many people in this forum replying to very old thread.
What you think about that?

My idea:
Delete the thread from certain range.
pampoon
cybersa wrote:
2.Delete unnecessary Announcement and Dead links.

I don't think we should delete any old announcements because I still to this day find myself looking though old things to find out something I have forgotten about. I like the way it is set up right now in that the very important things are stickied and the regular announcements are regular posts. Although I do think it might be a good idea to regularly go through the stickies and make things that aren't really important anymore, like [url="http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-81092.html"]User Pages replacing profiles[/url]. Also, perhaps combining some of the common posts would help keep the clutter out of the Announcements forum.

cybersa wrote:
5.Active and Good Moderate for this forum.

I think the moderators do a pretty good job already on this forum, but I do like deanhills' suggestion about giving the more specific forums their own moderators who can instigate discussion and know what they are talking about.

As for deleting the "dead" forums here, the reason there are so many sub-forums is to allow anyone to get on here and post. With 76000+ members, it would be difficult to remove the "dead" forums without upsetting someone.
deanhills
pampoon wrote:
As for deleting the "dead" forums here, the reason there are so many sub-forums is to allow anyone to get on here and post. With 76000+ members, it would be difficult to remove the "dead" forums without upsetting someone.
Agreed. Revamping is what was in mind rather than deleting. Perhaps Frihosters who are experts in their respective fields such as IceCreamTruck, Hogwarts etc. could provide suggestions for the Forums and Sub-Forums that match their expertise fields.

I was also wondering whether we could have revolving Forums, i.e. right now General Chat shows up first, but if we could rotate the Forums, so that at times the IT Forums would show up first, that may also create greater interest to post in the other Forums and Sub-Forums. People are generally lazy and just go for the Forums that are the easiest to access and naturally go for the first ones that show up.

In overall, everything works of course as is. We're talking about making something that works great even better from a quality and quantity of postings point of view. Perhaps if we did it in small, easy to digest chunks, like focussing on the Web development type Forums first, it could be a good start.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

I was also wondering whether we could have revolving Forums, i.e. right now General Chat shows up first, but if we could rotate the Forums, so that at times the IT Forums would show up first, that may also create greater interest to post in the other Forums and Sub-Forums. People are generally lazy and just go for the Forums that are the easiest to access and naturally go for the first ones that show up.

Okay... but it would make it sometimes difficult when you're looking for a particular forum.
"Now, where did the frihost support forum go? It was right here yesterday... Gotta be around here somewhere..."

I'm all for bumping general chat further down on the page though -- I think it would cut down on the number of topics posted there that could be put elsewhere. (And more topics posted elsewhere means fewer 'dead' forums!)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Okay... but it would make it sometimes difficult when you're looking for a particular forum.
"Now, where did the frihost support forum go? It was right here yesterday... Gotta be around here somewhere..."
If it were to rotate in the order that it has always been, I can't see how it would be difficult to find. The Support Forum and Webhosting forum will always be below the Lifestyle and News Forum. Alternatively, and this may be a good idea whether an idea like this is adopted or not, it may not be a bad idea to have a link somewhere in a very visible position on the page to strategic Forums like the Support Forum. Maybe we could also rename it to 911 Forum? Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
I'm all for the revolving forums thing. Mix it up some, and confuse people just long enough for them to find the correct forum to post in rather than always in "general chat" like some people have been doing.

I remember it used to be a lot more of a problem when we had the old PHPbb, straight down the page, look and feel. It's been better since the change to have the forums displayed in columns.

Dean may be on to something here... he's posted more than most of us combined. I'm happy to offer my web programming assistance should the need arise.
Hogwarts
The coding forums have all but died because they weren't encouraged in the slightest. We have more science forums than coding forums, despite this being a web host.

I've since become more involved in communities elsewhere which care significantly more about such topics, where discussion (not just, "I need help doing this") is encouraged.
cybersa
Diskspace 500MB or 250MB?
I have 500MB.

So,Why first page mentioned 250MB free diskspace.
Hogwarts
cybersa wrote:
Diskspace 500MB or 250MB?
I have 500MB.

So,Why first page mentioned 250MB free diskspace.

Because the server you were on had issues. You were given extra.

That has nothing to do with this topic. Please don't send us off-topic; I'd like to see this topic actually get somewhere.
cybersa
I posted here.
Because if that post is correct,then that post will help to change the first page.
ocalhoun
cybersa wrote:
I posted here.
Because if that post is correct,then that post will help to change the first page.

Which, to be fair, is not part of the forums...
deanhills
Hogwarts wrote:
I've since become more involved in communities elsewhere which care significantly more about such topics, where discussion (not just, "I need help doing this") is encouraged.
Definitely Frihost's loss. We seem to have another expert on board, IceCreamTruck, and all I can do is cross my fingers that something worthwhile can be set up in terms of what you are talking about.

Would it be against Frihost rules for you to show us an example of how the discussion is set up in one of the other communities?