FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to add Comments in My Computer ?

Sebastian42
When one opens My Computer, there are columns, typically for Name; Type; Total Size, and Free Space. When one opens View menu; and 'Choose details' there are 6 column-options including Comments. Where is the opportunity to enter a Comment for an item in My Computer ?
FunDa
That is an interesting find. I never knew such a comments box existed in all my years of using computer and trying to modify settings in the registry.

Maybe I can find an interesting way to make an April fools joke using this comments section

Thanks for finding this Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
saratdear
I hadn't noticed that earlier, so thanks for pointing that out to me. Smile

Did some googling. It seems you can add comments to a shortcut file, but not others. To test it, just create a shortcut to some folder or something. Open Properties. There you can see a comment box to add your own comments. It's main seems to be that they appear as a tiny popup when you roll over it with your mouse.
Sebastian42
saratdear
I am aware of Comments in shortcuts and how to modify them. The shortcuts in the QuickLaunch bar are forever displaying (unwanted) Comments when the mouse glances them. I've been unable to move a shortcut into My Computer, so the test failed. But in any case, I want Comments for the items already there - not to add new ones.
Fire Boar
Comments are as already mentioned only for shortcuts. Since Windows Explorer sees shortcuts as files, and also My Computer as a folder, the box exists for everything. There is no way to add a comment to non-shortcuts. There is also no way to add to the contents of My Computer - it's not a physical location, merely a representation of what is mounted on your computer (hard disks, CD drives, USB sticks, etc).

Oh, and because I know if I leave it at that some picky person will point out that you can add to My Computer by plugging in a USB device, that and similar hardware shenanigans don't count.
Sebastian42
Seems illogical to me that a column has been provided for Comments, but there is no access to them.
saratdear
Sebastian42 wrote:
Seems illogical to me that a column has been provided for Comments, but there is no access to them.

I suppose the view of 'My Computer' conforms to the normal Folder view. Since a normal folder can have shortcuts which can have comments, My Computer will inherit the same structure.
IceCreamTruck
FunDa wrote:
Maybe I can find an interesting way to make an April fools joke using this comments section

I like the way you think, but I can't imagine using this because it's usually in the background at most. Only on certain file types too... this is a windows file attribute, so they are benign to the user unless the user goes looking for them.

Comments: This post is horrible, and the poster is probably crazy! Smile Why would anyone create such a horrible response to a good topic. IceCreamTruck must be a horrible person! lol
saratdear
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I like the way you think, but I can't imagine using this because it's usually in the background at most. Only on certain file types too... this is a windows file attribute, so they are benign to the user unless the user goes looking for them.

Maybe not an April Fools joke as such, but maybe you can set it up so that a user receives a rude shock while rolling over a folder shortcut or something. What about - "Keep your hands off my stuff, you creep!!" ? Smile
therimalaya
Microsoft has playing april fool all these years. But we can write comment for a file from their property. I think we also can write comment for some special folders through regedit, but i don't know where and how....
Sebastian42
I'm getting no closer to an answer to my question - but I have a workaround - in Manage, it is easy to change the name of a 'drive'; so I can add a 'comment' to its name.
IceCreamTruck
Sebastian42 wrote:
I'm getting no closer to an answer to my question - but I have a workaround - in Manage, it is easy to change the name of a 'drive'; so I can add a 'comment' to its name.

You haven't explained "exactly" what you are trying to do... there is software that color-codes and let's you add tags to files for easy reference later, but also... how is this information supposed to be displayed to you.

Please, just say what you want, and forget what you know about computers. You'd have an answer by now, I promise.

Have you tried google documents? This let's you color-code labels and I bet if they don't have it already that tagging is coming soon, and you can share it with your friends or keep private. You can also drop your laptop into a bathtub full of water, and all your files are safe.

Stop talking about comments which was basically another failed microsoft idea and start being more descriptive of what it is that you are trying to do... one of two things will happen: you will get the info you need or pointed to software that will help you, or you will come up with a great idea that will help lots of people and some of the software guys on here can help make it a reality that you started.
Sebastian42
<<You haven't explained "exactly" what you are trying to do.>>
<<come up with a great idea that will help lots of people>>
I take NO risks with my system, so any experimenting is done on a clone. If that is satisfactory, then I continue with the modified system.
I have only VERY recently migrated to WinXP from WinMe, a less stable system that I taught me to always have backups. I devised a backup system in which I partitioned a 320Gb HDD into a boot partition plus 7 incrementally larger partitions. My operating HDD is 40Gb.
Whenever I have made a successful change (as I am doing often after my recent migration from WinMe), I clone that to a partition on the 320Gb HDD. After the next successful change, I clone again to the next partition. Once the 7 partitions have been cloned to, I start back at the first and clone over that, so there are always 7 stages of development recorded on the 320Gb HDD. I can backtrack to any of 7 stages by cloning any one partition back to the 40Gb HDD.
At clone time I need to be able to identify which of the partitions is the next candidate for being
'sacrificed'. I hoped to do that identifying in the Comments of My Computer. However a perfectly satisfactory work-around is to RENAME a partition each time I clone to it.
IceCreamTruck
Sebastian42 wrote:
However a perfectly satisfactory work-around is to RENAME a partition each time I clone to it.

Exactly... and now I see what your problem was. You can also keep an updated text file on google documents that tells you which partition is next, or my renaming the partition using dates for the label like "04012011" is todays date. I use the spreadsheet function and just build lists that reference each partition, a history of names for each in a supporting sheet that you can link into from the original, and an indicator like "*" in one of the columns that reminds me what's next.

Just curious... did you say this is all on one hard drive with multiple partitions? I hope you are keeping a remote copy as well, as this will help prevent something like a fire or simple HD failure from destroying your data. I have sent backup copies of my data to a friends house before in order to really eliminate the possibility of loosing work on some software projects that I could not afford to loose.

People used to call me a lot about data loose and recovery, but I have been encouraging everyone I know who has important data to do the same as I have instructed above, and I don't get data recovery calls that much any more both with more data being stored in the "cloud" and insuring my larger clients keep offsite backups of anything local to their machines.

You never know... I have lost as much as two hard drives in what was either a 6 or 8 hard drive raid in a single day, which reminded me that it's not impossible for all the drives to die in one day, so offsite, remote backups are required! Keep the same naming convention: use bkup_04012011 and partition_04012011 for easy reference ... where it gets more complicated than that I usually add a, b, or c to the end of that like "part_04012011b" if I am taking multiple backups in one day. If you plan to do more than 26 then you'll have to come up with something else like adding the time, suchas, "bkup_04012001_0830". Maximum name length is 32 characters.

On that same note be wise to how files are arranged in your file system according to character. I use this to my advantage as well when naming files so they appear in order. numbers appear before alpha characters if you sort by name. Sometimes I use "aa" through "zz", as in, "ab","ac",and even "gh" on the beginning to insure the files can be quickly sorted to the order they were added to the directory, or to impart my own desired order to files that are not otherwise alphabetical. The only draw-back that I can see is this type of naming system can cause a lot of bad links if you plan to make the files available via the web as typos and general errors in repeating or typing these kinds of names often increases risk. Remember to copy and paste to minimize this problem when making lists in google documents or creating web pages. You might find software like this helpful: Oscar's File Renamer ... I think it's freely available on the web... let's you batch rename files, and copy/manipulate whole lists of file names into the clipboard.

Good luck!
portoskt
did you find some solution?