FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Interdisciplinary Research

bukaida
There is a new trend in research area called Interdisciplinary Research. But to my opinion, no research can be purely confined to a particular subject. For an example, a phd in physics or engineering must involve mathematics or statistics.So why to tag it with different name? Moreover, what is it's value compared to that of a Phd in the so called core subjects? Is it equivalent of obtaining Phd in two subjects?

Quote:
The history of the federal research enterprise in science, engineering, and technology, the culture of federal research agencies and research universities, and the dominant modes for funding decisions bias the federal support system strongly toward disciplinary research.

Source:http://www.sciencemag.org/content/283/5402/642.short
Navigator
bukaida wrote:
There is a new trend in research area called Interdisciplinary Research. But to my opinion, no research can be purely confined to a particular subject. For an example, a phd in physics or engineering must involve mathematics or statistics.So why to tag it with different name? Moreover, what is it's value compared to that of a Phd in the so called core subjects? Is it equivalent of obtaining Phd in two subjects?

Quote:
The history of the federal research enterprise in science, engineering, and technology, the culture of federal research agencies and research universities, and the dominant modes for funding decisions bias the federal support system strongly toward disciplinary research.

Source:http://www.sciencemag.org/content/283/5402/642.short

And most often being subjected to one field leaves the perspectives and enrichment of other fields out of the picture, or regarded as opposed or wrong views when in reality no single discipline can, or has ever proven to have a definitive answer to the observable reality of science, this can be seen as two separate fields having each a part of the puzzle. It is required an interdisciplinary approach to "connect the dots", so to speak.
lovescience
I heard a program in master degree on that subject. It gathered people from different field across school. Probably was a place for collaboration on any project.