FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


How do technicians ban sites





Possum
Hello

At work we have been blocked and cannot open Facebook anymore. How does a technician do this to a computer.

There are about 10 computers on a network at work.

thank you..

Is OK I do know about http://hidemyass.com/proxy/ Wink
jdelfire
they can do it by using software like websense, OpenDNS, Content filtering via router etc...
FunDa
Find out how they have blocked the websites from your place. Once you know, then it is very easy to find out how to bypass these blocks.


Usually a proxy site is perfect to bypass such things, but most free proxies are very very slow.

If it is blocked by some other method, it might be either easier or more difficult to bypass these restrictions.





Smile
gabrielcastillo
When I was in school I had the same problem. I used torbrowser and I was able to visit site's that were blocked. If you have websense blocking you then this might now work. I doesnt hurt to give a try.


google search : torbrowser bundle.
iyepes
Maybe the technician had a good reason to block facebook at your job, for example avoiding you receiving a memo for doing non-work related tasks at your workplace.

Be carefull, it's not your personal computer at home.
loyal
FunDa wrote:
Find out how they have blocked the websites from your place. Once you know, then it is very easy to find out how to bypass these blocks.


Usually a proxy site is perfect to bypass such things, but most free proxies are very very slow.

If it is blocked by some other method, it might be either easier or more difficult to bypass these restrictions.)


It's very hard to get around a block using web proxy because most web proxys are blocked too.
IceCreamTruck
Possum wrote:
Hello

At work we have been blocked and cannot open Facebook anymore. How does a technician do this to a computer.

There are about 10 computers on a network at work.

thank you..

Is OK I do know about http://hidemyass.com/proxy/ Wink


This is dangerous, and bad idea... get a smart phone. This will keep you connected to all of these things in a more manageable way that your Boss will have more trouble stopping you from doing.

In the spirit of open/public information: Use "tracert google.com" or substitute any unblocked public address into the command prompt, and this should give you the ip addresses of your route out to the web... if you only get "*" for address then you probably have some mild "active" network security in place. Stop here it's probably someone's job to monitor the network. If the traffic is blocked by a router or proxy server then access to these devises is a must in order to allow this traffic for your machine as an exception. Do NOT unblock all traffic because all computers being able to connect to these sites will get their attention again. Is it a small or big company? Smile
menino
Technicians block sites using a firewall or content filtering software, or can do it from the router.
Some dsl modems have content filtering as well, so its probably done through that module.

There are many out there, and some free ones based on linux as well.

The blocking can come about due to management decision, to make employees waste less time at work, of course.
It can also be the decision of the System Administrator, to save on Internet bandwidth that the company pays a high price for.

If you are using Facebook for personal reasons, why not use it at your home?

Of course, if you want to be unproductive at work, you could use proxy softwares, and sites like hidemyass.
IceCreamTruck
menino wrote:
Technicians block sites using a firewall or content filtering software, or can do it from the router.
Some dsl modems have content filtering as well, so its probably done through that module.

There are many out there, and some free ones based on linux as well.

The blocking can come about due to management decision, to make employees waste less time at work, of course.
It can also be the decision of the System Administrator, to save on Internet bandwidth that the company pays a high price for.

If you are using Facebook for personal reasons, why not use it at your home?

Of course, if you want to be unproductive at work, you could use proxy softwares, and sites like hidemyass.


You just repeated me. except for recommending the proxy "hidemyass" as a possible option. I'm not sure, but I think the traffic would still be blocked?

Another thing you can try is if it's blocked by ip or domain name. The ip I'm getting for facebook.com is "69.63.189.16" ... this may help you troubleshoot exactly how you've been blocked because you can see if you can connect to that ip, which is most likely not specifically blocked by your company.
Related topics
Rate us at ClickHereFree!
PHP Book (Php and Mysql for Dynamic Web Sites)
PHP IP Ban
Top Sites
picture-dept.
Spanish sites allowed?
free games aviable for download. (sites)
google search engine??
better hosting system
Are we allowed to link to mp3 sites?
Are russian sites allowed?
FFS now my sites giving my a 500 Error
Most popular sites hosted on Frihost...
BAD SITES
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.