FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What course should I take in college?

saratdear
Right. I'll be going to college in 2-3 months time, and I need your help in choosing a course. Yes, I know I made a similar thread 2 months back, but that was more specific - about which design course to take.

First of all, I understand whatever opinions you guys might give, it's up to me to decide. And oh..let's spare the 'you should take a course which you like'. I know that. I just need a nudge in the right direction. Smile

Here's some basic info about me, if that would help in deciding.

I will not be taking a medical course, because I have not studied biology in high school.

I do get quite good marks in almost all the subjects. Maths and Physics would be my favourites. In Mathematics, I like calculus. In Physics, it is Nuclear Physics, and anything dealing with dual nature of radiation and matter.

I hate mugging up. Sorry, memorizing things up is not for me. Main reason I hated Geography and History.

I absolutely LOVE using science to solve practical problems. I love that real word situations can be represented and solved by using a bunch of equations. Reason why I love applications of differential equations, linear programming, etc.

I consider myself a skilled copyist. Give me a picture, and I am confident I will be able to produce a good copy of it. Ask me to draw it myself, I would probably give up.

Thinking about all this myself, I thought about a course in engineering physics or applied mathematics; however I am unsure. Would you guys mind helping? Smile
deanhills
I'd also have thought it would be important to know which Colleges are available to you, and what subjects they offer? From the top of my head I would have included subjects that have to do with aerospace engineering specializing in astronautical engineering and/or astronomy/astrophysics.
saratdear
deanhills wrote:
I'd also have thought it would be important to know which Colleges are available to you, and what subjects they offer? From the top of my head I would have included subjects that have to do with aerospace engineering specializing in astronautical engineering and/or astronomy/astrophysics.

I am writing the entrance exams of quite a no. of colleges, and it would be difficult to try and list them all.

Here is the list of courses offered by Indian Institutes of Technology, one of the most prestigious institutions here - http://jee.iitd.ac.in/courses.php

Thank you for those course suggestions.
therimalaya
I've learned till this date, that one should choose that subject which interests him/her. So, its obvious, that you should choose that course in which you can give a lot of time without knowing it because of your interest. However, you should analysis the restrictions in front of you, which we don't know enough to suggest you.
bukaida
If you are good in drawing and science, then you may consider Architechtural Engineering/Civil/Mechanical engineering.All these branches require knowledge of good drawing, Mathematics and physics.
missdixy
If available to you, I would definitely suggest that you take a course in creative non-fiction writing, or something similar. When I took a creative non-fiction writing course here at my school there were so many people in in from different disciplines (we had students of law, medicine, social sciences, math, etc).
saratdear
missdixy wrote:
If available to you, I would definitely suggest that you take a course in creative non-fiction writing, or something similar. When I took a creative non-fiction writing course here at my school there were so many people in in from different disciplines (we had students of law, medicine, social sciences, math, etc).

Are you suggesting that as a short term course? I don't think there are any such courses available in my area, though.
Zaraq
before deciding what u want to read u must explore urself first what r ur intersts if u do what u r interested in believe me you ll do that thing with little effort and u ll enjoy doing that work too and you will be perfect in that work too do no think about market trends but just think what u r best in n what u like doing. no matter u like cooking u pursue ur career as chef. its an example i m not forcing u to be chef ok. rest ir ur decision.
Insanity
I think the best route will be to follow your interests,then choose the courses. Also, I'm not sure how your school works, but you might need to choose a major or degree to complete before you choose your classes.
vidafenomenal
should be what you like, I think.
friho
maybe you can choose civil engineering . i think it's more fit for science student and Maths and Physics is your favourites,it would become your advantage when you study.
saratdear
Guys - I think I should let you know.

I've taken up Bachelor of Architecture. Smile
bukaida
Congrats, BArch is one of the most demanding subject in the engineering field. BTW, in which college you finaly chose to study ?
saratdear
bukaida wrote:
Congrats, BArch is one of the most demanding subject in the engineering field. BTW, in which college you finaly chose to study ?

Hey, don't club architecture with engineering field! Razz Yep you are right, it is indeed very demanding, right from the first semester. Lots of sketching, long nights, etc etc.

I'm studying in SAP, Anna University.
bukaida
saratdear wrote:

Hey, don't club architecture with engineering field!

Actualy there is a BTech course on architecture which is somewhat similar to civil engineering. The candidate has to clear the same joint entrance / AIEEE for that.

http://www.indicareer.com/colleges-for-BE%20/%20Btech.%20-%20Architectural%20Engineering-degree.html

http://www.hunt4career.com/courses/course-detail/btech-architecture-engineering

It is good to know that you are enjoying your course very much. That is what ultimately matters.
saratdear
Thanks for those links bukaida. I didn't know about such a B.Tech course. But probably it will be available only at select few institutions.
bukaida
saratdear wrote:
Thanks for those links bukaida. I didn't know about such a B.Tech course. But probably it will be available only at select few institutions.

The list is quite long and spreaded through various states and regions. When the NITs (formar RECs)and IITs are offering the course along with other premier institutions, there is no doubt about the popularity and importance of this course.

List of BE / Btech. - Architectural Engineering Colleges in India
pll
saratdear wrote:

I do get quite good marks in almost all the subjects. Maths and Physics would be my favourites. In Mathematics, I like calculus. In Physics, it is Nuclear Physics, and anything dealing with dual nature of radiation and matter.

Get in Telecommunications studies if you like technology.
You could get examples of Wireless Emissions of antennas and electricity which is maths and science together.

Electronics is a very interesting field if you like technology, it's part manual and part theorical!
The future is interesting in this domain too!
cresvale
Should be a course you like.