FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox 4.0

Tony The Tiger
Is Firefox 4.0 compatible with Windows 7? I am unable to use the taskbar preview now that I have updated from 3.6 to 4.0.
kacsababa
It is, the page preview works here too on the taskbar.
driftingfe3s
It is!

It might have been disabled in your setting for some reason.

Check this out - http://webtrickz.com/how-to-disable-firefox-4-taskbar-tab-previews-in-windows-7

The site actually teaches you how to turn off the taskbar previews. But it will show you were to go to get to the settings.

Go to those settings and make sure "browser.taskbar.previews" is set to "true".

Hope this helps!
achowles
It's perfectly compatible. The only real problem I have with it regarding Windows 7 compatibility is that the shiny bits on the sides of the window's frame tend not to stay in one place. Scrolling or even mousing over a link can cause them to move. Very odd. Not sure how to stop that without full screening it.
kacsababa
Shiny bits? Rolling Eyes
achowles
kacsababa wrote:
Shiny bits? Rolling Eyes

Yeah, the semi-transparent frame. On the sides there is a part where the gradient becomes pretty opaque and white. This point has a tendency to shift in Firefox 4. It's not something I've noticed in anything else, including Firefox 3.6. So I'm pretty sure it's a problem with Firefox 4.
resumetemp00
For me, Firefox 3 is still one of the most stable firefox if you are using windows 7.
kacsababa
achowles wrote:
Yeah, the semi-transparent frame. On the sides there is a part where the gradient becomes pretty opaque and white. This point has a tendency to shift in Firefox 4. It's not something I've noticed in anything else, including Firefox 3.6. So I'm pretty sure it's a problem with Firefox 4.
I didn't noticed any shifting here. :/
snowboardalliance
I haven't had a problem on Windows 7

I'm really liking the new tab groups, but I hate that the resource usage still sucks. Like if you keep a dozen or two tabs open for long enough, memory usage goes over a Gig and eventually it becomes non-responsive (I have 8GB of RAM). It's been an issue forever.

I'm really close to switching to Chrome now that Fx4 has not improved resource usage. Still, the UI is a lot nicer IMO
Tony The Tiger
driftingfe3s wrote:
It is!

It might have been disabled in your setting for some reason.

Check this out - http://webtrickz.com/how-to-disable-firefox-4-taskbar-tab-previews-in-windows-7

The site actually teaches you how to turn off the taskbar previews. But it will show you were to go to get to the settings.

Go to those settings and make sure "browser.taskbar.previews" is set to "true".

Hope this helps!

I have restarted my computer and all is well.
therimalaya
I haven't used it yet, but i'll try it right now and see what happens.
kacsababa
snowboardalliance wrote:

I'm really liking the new tab groups, but I hate that the resource usage still sucks. Like if you keep a dozen or two tabs open for long enough, memory usage goes over a Gig and eventually it becomes non-responsive (I have 8GB of RAM). It's been an issue forever.

I'm really close to switching to Chrome now that Fx4 has not improved resource usage. Still, the UI is a lot nicer IMO

That sure is a problem and sounds like a memory leak, either something on a site forexample some js could accumulate the memory usage gradually, or it could be an addon, unfortunately many addons are badly written/optimized so memory leak problems most likely comes from one of those.

I like the TabGroups, but I still like more the TabGroups Manager extension for using multiple groups and many tabs.

About the memory usage: Right now I have 29 open tabs in 5 groups and 38 active extensions, the memory usage is 295 MB and fixed.
achowles
kacsababa wrote:
I didn't noticed any shifting here. :/

Ah I see why it's happening now. You know the mini status bar that pops up whenever you mouse over a link? Well that seems to be what's causing it. It doesn't happen if the add ons bar is visible, which is odd.
kacsababa
That surely is, but now I know why I didn't seen it, I have all the status messages and links appear in the urlbar.
achowles
kacsababa wrote:
That surely is, but now I know why I didn't seen it, I have all the status messages and links appear in the urlbar.

Ah, mystery solved. So can I sort though customising Firefox or is that an add on?
lightwate
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Is Firefox 4.0 compatible with Windows 7? I am unable to use the taskbar preview now that I have updated from 3.6 to 4.0.

hmm. weird. it works fine on my win7.

btw, i don't like the taskbar preview thing on IE. it previews the tabs and not the windows :\ just sayin.
ankur209
its perfectly compatible and would have got bugged with yours windows for some other reason... Cool
fabriascacibas
/Valeu a atodos!!!! Laughing
silverdown
I was going to install 4.0, but my Norton internet security on my new computer (pre-installed for 60 days) says the took bar isn't compatible soo ill wait.
ms_j
I had it on Win7 and everything was working fine. BUT.... First I installed Beta version and it was fine. When I got the regular version I got attacked by seres of viruses. My NOD32 was displaying messages "URL blahblahblah.com was blocked" That never happened before. At first I didn't relate it to Firefox. But I just could not get rid of one of those viruses and I had to re-format my hard drive. 10 minutes after installing Firefox 4 on a fresh hard drive, the warnings by NOD started again. So I un-installed it, cleaned the registry, and since than I didn't get any warnings.
loyal
Do people feel that FireFox 4.0 is faster than 3.6?

Peace.
ms_j
I didn't notice that. Plus it still takes forever to open the window. At least, I had that problem.
kacsababa
In what?
I think startup is a little bit faster but barely noticable.
The UI is about the same, people still talk about hangups if they open a bunch of tabs at once (same as it was in 3.6), I myself don't, it runs pretty smoothly hear. Smile

But rendering, javascript, canvas is a lot faster on any machine, JägerMonkey (js engine) alone is about four times faster then TraceMonkey was in 3.6!
Zenk
Not much difference, I upgraded it. Just the look of it is a bit better, some of the stuff is different and feels a bit strange at first look.
Asap170
It works for me. The only thing that sucks is that my fingerprint scanner add-on isn't supported so back to typing passwords.
SultanMA
Yes it worked for me , and all add-ons are working smoothly.
snowboardalliance
kacsababa wrote:
snowboardalliance wrote:

That sure is a problem and sounds like a memory leak, either something on a site forexample some js could accumulate the memory usage gradually, or it could be an addon, unfortunately many addons are badly written/optimized so memory leak problems most likely comes from one of those.

I like the TabGroups, but I still like more the TabGroups Manager extension for using multiple groups and many tabs.

About the memory usage: Right now I have 29 open tabs in 5 groups and 38 active extensions, the memory usage is 295 MB and fixed.

I mean, it's the same issue that a bunch of people posted here:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/669659?page=3#answer-150354

But I haven't had time to try safemode for long enough to see if it's an add-ons issue
loyal
One thing that is on my mind is
how come the mozilla team/organisation have been so quiet about the whole update thing? even my update manager keeps telling me to upgrade to the latest version of 3.6.x and doesn't mention anything about 4.0!

It's in contrast to well-advertised upgrade to firefox 3.0 was...

Peace
chartcentral
I like the Tabs on Top option of Mozilla Firefox 4. It gives me more space on my netbook as its resolution only has limited height (600 pixels). Smile
flamepjlh
“Is Firefox 4.0 compatible with Windows 7? I am unable to use the taskbar preview now that I have updated from 3.6 to 4.0.”

=============================================
of course it is compatible, I have no problem with that.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
chartcentral
I also just noticed the updated look of about:cache in Mozilla Firefox 4. I looked forward to a new verse in about:mozilla but it still has The Book of Mozilla, 11:9, the same with version 3. Smile
gueda
I didn't use it a lot, but is compatible with windows 7.

At this moment, between IE, Firefox and chrome, I prefer to use chrome. At least here, is faster than the others.
chartcentral
First encountered in version 3, I was hoping I would never meet the Close Firefox error message ("Firefox is already running, but is not responding...") again. But alas, it's still present in Mozilla Firefox 4.
flamepjlh
Quote:
“Is Firefox 4.0 compatible with Windows 7? I am unable to use the taskbar preview now that I have updated from 3.6 to 4.0.”

====================================

It's perfectly compatible on my windows 7 and windows xp.

Laughing Cool

Added quote tags. -ocalhoun
chartcentral
flamepjlh, yes, definitely Mozilla Firefox 4 is compatible with Windows 7. It's what I am using right now. You might want to try to completely uninstall your current version then reinstall the new one as it might fix your problem. Smile
flamepjlh
"

Quote:
Ah I see why it's happening now. You know the mini status bar that pops up whenever you mouse over a link? Well that seems to be what's causing it. It doesn't happen if the add ons bar is visible, which is odd."

======================================

Laughing
I think firefox 4 take too much memory. But I really can't give up the add ons.

Besides, Chrome still cost a lot of memory.

Rolling Eyes

Added quote tags. -ocalhoun
tamilparks
chartcentral wrote:
flamepjlh, yes, definitely Mozilla Firefox 4 is compatible with Windows 7. It's what I am using right now. You might want to try to completely uninstall your current version then reinstall the new one as it might fix your problem. Smile

i will try
mikelll
Tony The Tiger wrote:
full compatible
independentebrazil
I prefer google chrome!
portoskt
firefox works fine for me, but i preffer opera
Tony The Tiger
flamepjlh wrote:

=============================================
of course it is compatible, I have no problem with that.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I don't know what my glitch was, but it has now been solved.