FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Has the US abandoned its unemployed?

deanhills
Paul Krugman, a columnist of the New York Times - The Forgotten Millions, wonders whether the US has abandoned its unemployed. Do you agree with him? He makes quite a strong case for his point of view:
Quote:
And the worst hit will be young workers — a point made in 2009 by Peter Orszag, then the White House budget director. As he noted, young Americans who graduated during the severe recession of the early 1980s suffered permanent damage to their earnings. And if the average duration of unemployment is any indication, it’s even harder for new graduates to find decent jobs now than it was in 1982 or 1983.
handfleisch
deanhills wrote:
Paul Krugman, a columnist of the New York Times - The Forgotten Millions, wonders whether the US has abandoned its unemployed. Do you agree with him? He makes quite a strong case for his point of view:
Quote:
And the worst hit will be young workers — a point made in 2009 by Peter Orszag, then the White House budget director. As he noted, young Americans who graduated during the severe recession of the early 1980s suffered permanent damage to their earnings. And if the average duration of unemployment is any indication, it’s even harder for new graduates to find decent jobs now than it was in 1982 or 1983.

IMO Krugman is right 99% of the time and the US has been abandoning the unemployed and the workers for 30 years at least. If you want to know what's really going on in the US, read all of Krugman's articles and skip the idiotic junk like Michele Malkin etc. I can only hope that as the US reaches a crisis with the various battles in the US (Wisconsin and the Republican attack on workers' rights etc) and the new batch of Republicans showing how out of touch they are (they are using their time to fight Planned Parenthood and NPR???), we will have a real change in the next few years. We will put the top tax rate up to at least 40% which would fix the so-called crisis. We'll invest in America and strengthen workers' rights. We'll put the Wall Street criminals who caused the financial crisis in prison. In terms of the Republican party, it will either reform itself and get rid of the wackos, extremists and shills who monopolize it now, or America will turn away from it for generations. We will put financial regulations in place to reverse the distribution of income from the middle class to the rich that's been going on for 30 years. These are some of the things that must happen to get America back on track.
deanhills
I'm especially thinking of the young workers. If graduates can't find work in the US, they may leave the country. And since the demographics of the US are top heavy in older people, this has to be a disaster in the making. For me it is common sense that unemployment has to be on the top of the list of priorities. And there should be a special focus on creating meaningful job opportunities for graduates.
silverdown
Never thought about it that way.... Shocked
liljp617
deanhills wrote:
I'm especially thinking of the young workers. If graduates can't find work in the US, they may leave the country. And since the demographics of the US are top heavy in older people, this has to be a disaster in the making. For me it is common sense that unemployment has to be on the top of the list of priorities. And there should be a special focus on creating meaningful job opportunities for graduates.

This is already happening. Has been for a while now.
deanhills
liljp617 wrote:
This is already happening. Has been for a while now.
Have you got more info on this, as I would like to learn more about it. I know that Obama tried to hook on something special with the new Health Insurance bill, but that was not the kind of job opportunities I had in mind.

Germany has a great system especially with regard to their technological work force, where students in technology do their degrees as well as are working at the same time. So that by the time they graduate they already have jobs. It also ensures that they train the right people for where they are needed in industry, instead of generating plenty of graduates, some of whom may not be suitable for what is needed by industry.
Quote:
75% of German students - that is to say everyone not immediately bound for college - complete a formal three-year training program in a dual-track mode (Dualsystem): Hands-on job experience as interns (Auszubildende) in business, industry and government integrated with career-specific classroom instruction.

Interns are paid about one quarter of the rate for a skilled employee. Federal labor law governs the on-site training with a qualified employer. For three to four days a week and under the guidance of in-house mentors, interns learn and practice all phases of the operation. One to two days a week they study career-specific theory together with core academic subjects at a public career training school. At the end of the three-year program interns have to pass rigorous state-recognized theoretical and practical exams.

This integrated approach produces skilled employees as early as age 19. These young people can advance to well paying-jobs with the option of upgrading or continuing their education at any time. Completion of a formal training program is valued greatly in the market place and a source of personal pride. It demonstrates motivation, the ability to set goals and the energy and dedication to follow through.

Source: The Educational System in Germany