FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Email Account Creation & Thunderbird

achowles
I'm having a few problems here. I did search for some answers but the information was obsolete and so not very helpful.

The first is that I can't find any details to setup my email addresses with Thunderbird using IMAP even though Atmail uses IMAP with the account just fine. Is it at all possible to use IMAP with Thunderbird and if so what details do I need?

Secondly even using POP3 seems to be rife with problems. I can set up a functional account with some effort, but it's very keen to stress that it's utterly insecure and could easily be hijacked. Obviously that's not something I want.

I have set it up with the proper user names and POP3 address but I don't seem to be able to change the SMTP address from the allegedly insecure smtp.domain.name to the mail.domain.name I'm told to use by Frihost's control panel.

So could I get some help with how to set this account up with Thunderbird, please?
ChrisCh
I haven't used Thunderbird in a while, so I can't help with the particulars of the setup - although I do remember that to change the mail domains was always under 'advanced settings' when I used it many years ago... not sure if the same still applies now, but it's worth a look! :p

The errors you are receiving about security are there because Frihost does not offer SSL encryption for email or HTTP(S), so that would be the security issue that the software is highlighting - not much you can do about it really, without either taking your hosting elsewhere, or simply using a secure server for your email. Smile
achowles
ChrisCh wrote:
I haven't used Thunderbird in a while, so I can't help with the particulars of the setup - although I do remember that to change the mail domains was always under 'advanced settings' when I used it many years ago... not sure if the same still applies now, but it's worth a look! :p

The errors you are receiving about security are there because Frihost does not offer SSL encryption for email or HTTP(S), so that would be the security issue that the software is highlighting - not much you can do about it really, without either taking your hosting elsewhere, or simply using a secure server for your email. Smile

Thunderbird has changed a fair bit lately, unfortunately. Well, I say unfortunately. It's a hell of a lot better than it was. And Frihost not actually offering secure email does mean that it's not screwing up anyway.

As for using a secure server, that would require a different domain name for the email address anyway, right?
IceCreamTruck
I just used gmail to connect to my pop accounts for the first time. This hasn't always been available via gmail, but now it is, and it's easy to use. Kinda makes Thunderbird obsolete for me because I need to know my email is not going to be deleted by computer failure on my end, and this makes email a one stop shop for all of my domains.

Email forwarding from the accounts was necessary before this, but the drawback there was that I couldn't send email from forwarded domains... now responses to each of my domains and frihost subdomain, space.frih.net, get sent from that domain even though it's all really handled by gmail.

Goto: gmail > account settings > accounts and import > add new pop mail account button

Just follow the wizard from there using all the same account login info that you would use for Thunderbird.

I believe it will also do IMAP, but I don't know any reason why you would need to do this even if it is or isn't available via your frihost subdomain.
achowles
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I just used gmail to connect to my pop accounts for the first time. This hasn't always been available via gmail, but now it is, and it's easy to use.

IceCreamTruck, thank you! This has worked a treat and will definitely be my best bet for sending email via my domain addresses.

That said, Thunderbird is primarily IMAP now. So it won't download the emails, you just view them as you do through Gmail. So it doesn't download anything unless it can't use IMAP with the account. But yes, for domain named emails this is a lot more useful.

Thanks again!
IceCreamTruck
achowles wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I just used gmail to connect to my pop accounts for the first time. This hasn't always been available via gmail, but now it is, and it's easy to use.

IceCreamTruck, thank you! This has worked a treat and will definitely be my best bet for sending email via my domain addresses.

That said, Thunderbird is primarily IMAP now. So it won't download the emails, you just view them as you do through Gmail. So it doesn't download anything unless it can't use IMAP with the account. But yes, for domain named emails this is a lot more useful.

Thanks again!

I was excited that Gmail had made things so easy on me. I actually had a crazy email set up for a while, it contributed to me being disorganized, and I was already using gmail pretty often just because I love their ability to keep me from having to delete tons of spam. I'm glad that this now applies to all my accounts, and I can go one place to check/send from them all.

Great news, and I'm happy to help!