FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

should i buy another fan for my laptop?

lovelyviki
my laptop heat is very general, but not very hot even in summer, should i buy another fan? i found many people buy it .
ahnguye5
It's up to you; I've bought one for mine simply because I found one on sale. Coolers/fans aren't mandatory as laptops are made to withstand the heat that it outputs. As far as I know, there are no statistics that support the notion of a longer lifespan from laptop cooling though I would suspect that there is. As long as you're not using the your laptop atop a suffocating surface (pillow, couch, etc.) or leaving in in direct sunlight all day, it should be fine.
william
I always recommend using a cooler whenever possible. However, something more important than that is simply keeping the vents clean and free of dust. I'd suggest a monthly cleaning where you pop open the system and just blast compressed air to blow the dust out. Restricted airflow is always the enemy.
Asap170
I would personally buy a cooler for it. My laptop gets very hot in any weather. Like I have crashed it 7 times because of overheating. I am gonna get a cooler for it sooner or later.
Peterssidan
Is it even possible to fit an extra fan inside a laptop? Or are you talking about an external fan? If it's not hot I see no reason to have an extra fan.

I have some kind of plastic plate with two fans that I can put under the laptop. It helps a little but it makes way more noise and take extra power so I don't think it's worth using it except on a very hot summer day.
FunDa
Peterssidan wrote:
Is it even possible to fit an extra fan inside a laptop? Or are you talking about an external fan? If it's not hot I see no reason to have an extra fan.

I have some kind of plastic plate with two fans that I can put under the laptop. It helps a little but it makes way more noise and take extra power so I don't think it's worth using it except on a very hot summer day.

Many of my friends have that, and they use it when they keep the laptop on for long periods of time

Especially when playing a long series of multiplayer games, which is most of the weekend.

Also, when something is downloading over the horribly slow internet and it takes hours to download it.

Otherwise their laptop gets overheated (by touching it feels hot). But that is mostly because I am in a tropical country and the weather is never cool.
Peterssidan
FunDa wrote:
Many of my friends have that, and they use it when they keep the laptop on for long periods of time

Especially when playing a long series of multiplayer games, which is most of the weekend.

Ah yes, it depends a lot on what you do. I rarely play heavy games on my laptop but I needed the extra fans badly when I played an gameboy emulator we did in school. The emulator needed almost all cpu power always and I later discovered I had a lot of dust blocking the air.

FunDa wrote:
Otherwise their laptop gets overheated (by touching it feels hot). But that is mostly because I am in a tropical country and the weather is never cool.

I guess the surrounding temperature is also very important if you need extra fans or not. Here it is about 20 C indoors at the moment (0 C outdoors), in the summer it gets warmer but rarely more than 25 C indoors. We don't usually don't have air conditioning in our homes.

So to sum up it depends on what you do, where you live and how much dust it is inside you laptop.
airh3ad
If your laptop design for duck station better to duck station rather than cooler.
pll
You can download some software(s) that writes the temperature inside the computer that could help you take a decision.
There's some for free, just Google it.

I think if your computer goes over 55 Celsius then you should buy one. If not you seem to be fine.
lifeplaysu420
how old is your laptop, i chnage my fans every year to keep up on it maxium cooling, i clean it out every month with taken it complty apart to get everything, along with every week use a can of air to just blow into fan gets most stuff but dose leave a little.