FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how do i move the site to a different host?

icool
I am indebted to this free hosting. In case if I want to move the existing site to another webhost. how do i do it without losing all the information on the site. My site uses MySQL too.. So please suggest
Asap170
You would have to back up your mySQL databases and then download the files for the site. There may be an option to backup in Direct Admin, but I don't know. If you want a more in-depth reply then just reply back.
icool
Asap170 wrote:
You would have to back up your mySQL databases and then download the files for the site. There may be an option to backup in Direct Admin, but I don't know. If you want a more in-depth reply then just reply back.

i have created a back up of the site
but how do i download it? and from where ? where is the backup of the site?
Asap170
Well once you do that you should receive a message.

In DirectAdmin on the upper right it should say "Message System (1 new)". Now it should say that your backup was successful. Now click the "Files" icon. You should see a folder called "backup" click it. Now you should see your backups. To download all you do is click the file you want to download.

TaDa! Hope that helps.
ChrisCh
You may also find it easier when importing into your new host, to perform a backup manually - as the new host may use cPanel or another management software besides DirectAdmin, and I'm not sure whether they would support the importing of DirectAdmin backups... You can go into phpMyAdmin to export your entire database, and could easily use FTP to backup the individual files themselves... all that would be left would be email account configuration, as well as FTP setup on the new host...

Let me know if you'd like any details on how to use phpMyAdmin to actually export your database in a format that can easily be re-imported to any MySQL management software on your new host (if you do decide to move, that is!) Smile
metalfreek
I have a question here.

If I want to move my wordpress blog to cpanel, I have to backup my database from PhpMyadmin as well as wordpress files on the server right?

Can I only copy database and install wordpress from fantastico and link it with database? And what are other thing that I should consider while moving wordpress blog from frihost to cpanel?
Bondings
metalfreek wrote:
I have a question here.

If I want to move my wordpress blog to cpanel, I have to backup my database from PhpMyadmin as well as wordpress files on the server right?

Can I only copy database and install wordpress from fantastico and link it with database? And what are other thing that I should consider while moving wordpress blog from frihost to cpanel?

You need both the database and the files. If Fantastico installs the same version (and you didn't change any files, install mods, ...) then that version should also work. Of course it is always possible that certain things (like avatars) are stored in a directory somewhere, those are also needed.
abssky
How managed?