FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Century of the Self

Navigator
I just saw this jaw dropping documentary that has won several awards back in 2002. Its a real eye-opener, here is the wikipedia entry:

Quote:
The Century of the Self

The Century of the Self is a British television documentary film that focuses on the family of Sigmund Freud, particularly his daughter and nephew,‭ ‬who influenced the way corporations and governments throughout the‭ ‬20th century have thought about,‭ ‬and dealt with,‭ ‬people.[1]

Sigmund Freud, the founder of psychoanalysis, changed the perception of the human mind and its workings. His influence on the twentieth century is generally considered profound. The series describes the ways public relations and politicians have utilized Freud's theories during the last 100 years for the "engineering of consent".

Freud himself and his nephew Edward Bernays, who was the first to use psychological techniques in public relations, are discussed. Freud's daughter Anna Freud, a pioneer of child psychology, is mentioned in the second part, as is one of the main opponents of Freud's theories, Wilhelm Reich, in the third part.

Along these general themes, The Century of the Self asks deeper questions about the roots and methods of modern consumerism, representative democracy, commodification and its implications. It also questions the modern way we see ourselves, the attitudes to fashion and superficiality.

The whole series are on youtube or google video, here are some links:

Part 1/4
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6718420906413643126

I definitely would recommend it to anyone, from any country and social background since it has affected us all over the last hundred years, things that we perceived as normal, inherent to our lifestyles are in fact creations of a few men and women and a deviation from the original idea stemming from a single man (the name would be familiar to you from the beginning).

What is amazing is the nerve to profit from the thoughts of Freud, the sleaziness of greedy corporations, the desire to control people and how all of us have fallen into this pit.
deanhills
Navigator wrote:
What is amazing is the nerve to profit from the thoughts of Freud, the sleaziness of greedy corporations, the desire to control people and how all of us have fallen into this pit.
Thanks for the link Navigator. I will tackle this over the weekend when I have more time. In addition to what you have mentioned, which is new to me, the application of Freud during psychotherapy must also have had an enormous impact on society.
fuzzkaizer
Thanks for the link! this film was recommendet to me by a friend some months ago and i already forgot!
mm365
Very Happy useful news//
MisterParker
Thanks for this Smile
LxGoodies
Owww... unfortunately youtube had to block it for BBC copyright..

Thanks for the tip about it anyway

Lx
drunkenkoz
I'm going to try and find another video link for this. Youtube seems to have blocked it due to the BBC claims.