FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

these forums are complicated

Feroc1ty
these forums are by far the most complicated to navigate, i've been trying to find small things such as messages inbox and it's just crazy that some things just are hidden from you unless you use the search bar
Helios
Well, at least the search feature works Very Happy
I'm joking of course. It's understandable that this system might be complicated for some users, therefore you can ask anything related to forum functions in the Frihost Support Forum.
deanhills
Feroc1ty wrote:
these forums are by far the most complicated to navigate, i've been trying to find small things such as messages inbox and it's just crazy that some things just are hidden from you unless you use the search bar
I feel for you. Must be quite something to realize that the link to your message box had been just few inches to the left of the search box! Happened to me plenty of times, but as Helios says, plenty of people who will help you in the right direction. Took me about a year to get really into the links, but even after that every now and then I discovered a hidden link somewhere, just as you have described. For example, the "Report the Topic" link one can only find if you scroll right down the Window of the post that is open. And on the right hand side of the Forums Page (only the Forums Page), you will find some handy links such as
Quote:
View posts since last visit
View your posts
View unanswered posts

That is quite a handy source of posts if you don't want to work through all of the Forums when you are posting. I'm a bit of an addict, and part of the fun for me is to check out my favourite Forums first.
Ghost900
deanhills I didn't know there was a report a topic, only report a person, I found it now.

For me I understand this forum pretty well though I have been here for some time and this is the only forum I actually post on.

Over time you will find all the links that you use most and always feel free to ask if you really are unable to find something.
IceCreamTruck
I can probably go search for an answer, but I want to hear directly from you what your favorite forums are!

deanhills wrote:

... part of the fun for me is to check out my favourite Forums first.

Curious, what are they?
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I can probably go search for an answer, but I want to hear directly from you what your favorite forums are!

deanhills wrote:

... part of the fun for me is to check out my favourite Forums first.

Curious, what are they?
In order of how I look at them (not in order of favourites):

1. General Chat
2. Suggestions
3. World News
4. Politics
5. Travel & Countries
6. Faith
7. Phil&Rel
9. Followed by spot checks on all the other sub-forums in Lifestyle and News

If I have time I also periodically (but not every) check out:
1. Literature
2. Movies and Television
3. Music
4. Marketplace
5. Dutch Forums (I can read and enjoy - but not write)

And if I still have some time (but not often):
1. Computers
2. Webmaster and Internet
iman
i guess these forums are pretty standard. they look like all the other normal forums
deanhills
iman wrote:
i guess these forums are pretty standard. they look like all the other normal forums
What does "normal" mean? Confused
Navigator
These forums complicated? Although I agree that they are not the usability champ, they aren't difficult at all.
Radar
phpBB forums make up a reasonable portion of web forums these days.
IceCreamTruck
OK, deanhills, that's impressive. Between being able to speak directly with you and a recent convo with Bondings that makes Frihost unique right there. I have always enjoyed how Frihost seems to keep heavy hitters available and accessible, and how any issue I have had has been short-lived as a direct result of how hands-on you guys are.

I've posted in other forums for products, and interests, but this is the only place where I've really gotten any good responses to my questions. Most other places you might as well throw your post, like a post card, on to a pile of other post cards.... after a while you can't even see it. Frihost is like tying a post card to a balloon and sending it off into the sky! Sure, you don't get a response 100% of the time, but people seem to want to respond, and when they do you've usually made a friend.

I did digress in my mind to the "confusion" topic, because I have always enjoyed the content of Frihost and have been able to find what I'm looking for, but I do remember the transition to include the "Featured Discussion" section at the top, and when Frihost went from a standard phpbb2, straight down the page, look to the current four column sub-category look and I remember my head spinning a little bit at first as I tried to reorient myself. Now that I am looking back I remember thinking I didn't like all the forums logos being the same, and maybe now I will make that suggestion: to colorize and iconify the forum sections so they are more distinguishable and/or recognizable.

As it stands the same white image precedes every forum: http://www.frihost.com/forums/templates/subSilver/images/folder_big.gif
IceCreamTruck
I speak German, but it's a bummer that I don't speak Dutch too!
ProwerBot
Someday you will get used to it, I do because I used to be on 30000000 other forums but now I've gotten bored of them so this is pretty much the only one I ever post on anymore, so I basically know everything.
Ghost Rider103
ProwerBot wrote:
Someday you will get used to it, I do because I used to be on 30000000 other forums but now I've gotten bored of them so this is pretty much the only one I ever post on anymore, so I basically know everything.

Frihost, 1 in every 30000000. Razz

Anyways, I can see how some things could be difficult to find for new members. But honestly, most forums are like that. I even struggle to find the register button on some forums. Some don't even have a button, just a text link (not sure if Frihost has a button or not). I find it difficult if there isn't an obvious button.

But basically, all if your information is in the header next to your avatar. The links being highlighted in bold.

But like Helios said, feel free to ask for help in the appropriate area if you are having problems finding something.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Between being able to speak directly with you and a recent convo with Bondings that makes Frihost unique right there. I have always enjoyed how Frihost seems to keep heavy hitters available and accessible, and how any issue I have had has been short-lived as a direct result of how hands-on you guys are.
Thanks, you've touched on something that really means something to me. I'm not sure how it started. Perhaps with Bondings' Avatar .... Then there were all these characters. I joined in 2008, at a time when James007 did his last postings, but I enjoyed his sense of humour tremendously. The clearest rules at Frihost are the ones written in Dutch by James007. This guy writes excellent Dutch, as clear as a bell, but also English. Bondings of course is key to what makes everything possible. For all the reasons you mentioned as well. Great sense of humour, firm and fair with an understated presence that creates lots of freedom and motivation to post.

I can read and understand German, and probably would be able to speak it fluently if I practiced it more, as I've always had a knack for it, more so than Dutch. Would be great if someone could start a German Forum, however I'd probably be limited to reading the posts as well.

I notice you've been a member since 2006. How come you've posted so little? Twisted Evil
IceCreamTruck
Embarrassed! Embarassed

Honestly, I can sum up the ups and downs in my life based on one thing, economy. I keep getting hit hard, but I am trying to keep going, and Bondings just let me back into my account. I'm working on posting some to prove that I want to make a come back. I can't ever truely leave frihost... I started here with Bondings help a long time ago, it what seems like a galaxy far far away, and I've grown and expanded projects from space.frih.net to other servers before, so I want to do it again. I've been locked out with no way in for a long time too.... finally guest posted, and bondings caught it and that really shows how active he still is.

I don't have access to my control panel yet because I'm still really busy, and wanted to correct the forums situation first (negative points) and develop good habit of coming to the forums and participating. I was reading on your rules for a points reset, which bondings encouraged me to request, and it says to make an effort first, and so I am. It all reality I'm only about 150 good posts away from redeeming myself, but I'm not quite feeling that creative... it used to be easy when people were asking trouble-shooting questions about computers and building websites, which I assume they still are, because I can respond and help people with the knowledge that I have about computers and websites in general. Consequently enough these were areas you said you don't visit much, Deanhills, and so I guess we will compliment each other in that regard.

Dean, gotta love the guy with 252 posts saying he knows everything about the forums. He obviously missed one thing: the number of times you've posted. I'll wager he knows more than I at this point because I have been gone for so long ... there was a time I was really proud to be almost at 500 posts, but then Alice fell down the rabbit hole and got tortured by the queen of hearts for a little while. Luckily I escaped to the awesome reality that is Frihost again! Smile

Are there other forums on the web? I don't care... Frihost is the best thing to ever happen to phpBB!!

Patiently posting, and awaiting points reset and access to my cpanel which I believe is on server 2, but I really am just guessing at this point because it's been awhile.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I'm working on posting some to prove that I want to make a come back.
You probably qualify better than I do, as you're more creative with Websites, which Frihost is mostly about. I really need to do more on the creative side of Website building. If Bondings were to make a rule that Websites need to be current all the time in order to have our accounts in good standing, I'd be in real trouble on that side of things. There are so many tools in the cPanel, that I have never touched. Thing is, I need to find a subject that really drives me, as in my experience with Websites, a Website is just a tool. Once you know what you want to put up out there, it is the subject content that drives a person to get to know all the techniques. For example, Indi did a blog Website (link somehow has disappeared when I tried to find it this time round) that uses WordPress. That is one of the neatest blog Websites I've come across. Great presentation, and of course content would be always good if Indi is the author. That is one tool that I would like to try out.
spinout
the most complicated thing about this site is to know where to post - after some longer time suddenly a moderator comes up with the idea to move the thread...
deanhills
spinout wrote:
the most complicated thing about this site is to know where to post - after some longer time suddenly a moderator comes up with the idea to move the thread...
Right .... they should leave some footprints behind so you can track the thread ..... Laughing That however does not happen that frequently, does it? I don't see Moderators moving threads on a regular basis.
IceCreamTruck
consider yourself lucky! The threads that we work hard on that are incorrectly posted get moved... not deleted. Sure bondings deleting any good post on Frihost would kind of be like shooting himself in the foot, which he obviously has not done because Frihost is successful.

I know how to get your posts to stick right where you put them EVERY TIME -- put them in the right place, don't hijack, and don't bottom post. Kind of a formula for successful posting on Frihost, but it's also in the rules which are very clearly outlined.

Good luck in the future!
ocalhoun
IceCreamTruck wrote:

Dean, gotta love the guy with 252 posts saying he knows everything about the forums.

Confused
If they can't be figured out after 250 posts, they really are complicated...
IceCreamTruck
Help I'm lost! Can you direct me to the free money, or free brand new cars for working men area? I can't seem to locate them! Smile
airh3ad
The most important is you understand what you read and use full forum.
ocalhoun
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Help I'm lost! Can you direct me to the free money, or free brand new cars for working men area? I can't seem to locate them! Smile

Sorry, those are in the staff only section. ^.^
IceCreamTruck
Probably! It figures! Now I'll just have to work hard to get moderator status! Smile
spinout
I have now the ultimate solution!

Post everything in general chat! Nothing an go wrong here!!! Laughing Cool
IceCreamTruck
spinout wrote:
Nothing an go wrong here!!!

Except typos! Smile This statement made me laugh just because it was interrupted by something going wrong.

Really funny idea posting everything in general chat tho... I'm sure it's been done, but the moderators will eventually kick you back to "Hobbies and Animals" where you belong! rofl
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
consider yourself lucky! The threads that we work hard on that are incorrectly posted get moved... not deleted. Sure bondings deleting any good post on Frihost would kind of be like shooting himself in the foot, which he obviously has not done because Frihost is successful.

I know how to get your posts to stick right where you put them EVERY TIME -- put them in the right place, don't hijack, and don't bottom post. Kind of a formula for successful posting on Frihost, but it's also in the rules which are very clearly outlined.

Good luck in the future!
You know, I just can't help but get the feeling you've been a Moderator before! You seem to speak the lingo. Good stuff. Anyways, what does bottom post mean? I know it must be a daft question, but I genuinely don't know as I have not seen it mentioned in any of the Frihost rules (or have I missed it - please correct me if I have).

To be truthful, I like people breaking the rules now and then. I don't like it when the discussions are too neat and perfect, as then there is not enough character around. Like a box that is too square. I like it when it has a few dents in it. Provided it is natural of course, and not affected. And it does not harm any one. Twisted Evil
IceCreamTruck
Yeah, I've read all of the rules and not recently either! It's been about 5 years since I consistently posted on Frihost before, and I still remember how to behave here because the rules are quite clear, and mostly posted in those stickies that I imagine most people ignore.

"Bottom Posting" is what you call it when people add things that are no longer relevant to the topic at hand. If I was to post something like "The Earth is Flat" this would quickly generate a lot of conversation on Frihost... we've all seen it happen, and that would be good stuff... always is. Well, if in the first few posts someone says to me: "Hey, Ice... the world isn't flat... just check out this math dude" and we go back and forth about that over a couple posts then the topic is really modified to "the math that proves round planet" and the topic has grown.

A "Bottom Post" at this point would be "Hey, Ice... the world isn't flat dude!" because someone already said that, so your comment isn't adding anything. Bottom posters don't read the thread before adding their two cents...

I accidentally did this today because I didn't notice the thread kept going for a few more pages, but I was only announcing that I was taking part of a competition that wasn't over yet, but usually I force myself to read the entire thread before commenting. I don't like repeating people since we all have unique perspective to offer -- I try to absorb lots of comments, but at times I'll avoid heavy traffic topics because I haven't kept up with where the topic is going.

If I feel like I'm bottom posting then I don't. A bottom poster can also be someone who doesn't read how old a topic is... check computer support... some issues are still being supported from 2006 when I was here before! Smile

Does that help explain that calling someone a bottom poster is a derogatory term that most roughly translates to "Learn to read you impatient Neanderthal" rofl Smile
spinout
nothing AN go wrong here!

Soon this inlay will be moved to the forum section "flaws and stupiditys" - since everything is cathegorized! Laughing Cool
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Does that help explain that calling someone a bottom poster is a derogatory term that most roughly translates to "Learn to read you impatient Neanderthal" rofl Smile
Great job! Thanks for the explanation and hope it makes it to the Search Engines, as I could not find one like this when I googled it! Anyway, that reminds me that I've seen plenty of bottom postings around here, especially when the thread is almost dead or dying. Think some people make bottom postings too from a satirical/irony point of view. Very Happy
ankitdatashn
I have a suggestion that there should be an indication if you have posted in any thread, maybe an icon or something, coz you tend to forget after some months if you posted in any thread and searching through the thread is such a waste of time Smile
IceCreamTruck
ankitdatashn wrote:
I have a suggestion that there should be an indication if you have posted in any thread, maybe an icon or something, coz you tend to forget after some months if you posted in any thread and searching through the thread is such a waste of time Smile

Clicking on my current number of posts is how I usually go back to see where I've been

Wold kinda like to see a list of my posts without the text that I wrote... This would be the same list you see on the page that you sent you too, but it would be more condensed. A list like that would make it easy to see what forums I've posted in most because my list would only have 530 or so entries on it.
TurtleShell
So, I like the forums. I guess there are some annoying qualities--frihost was not the easiest to navigate when I started. But now that I'm relatively experienced, I enjoy it.
IceCreamTruck
TurtleShell wrote:
So, I like the forums. I guess there are some annoying qualities--frihost was not the easiest to navigate when I started. But now that I'm relatively experienced, I enjoy it.

I completely agree. It's not always easy to find everything in the news paper either, but this is easily solved if you just read it.
creativosred
They are not hard ... it is a robust and easy:)
ocalhoun
ankitdatashn wrote:

If you're using the same computer each time, the links for threads you've already clicked on should be a slightly different color than ones you haven't clicked on... It doesn't tell you the ones you've posted in, but it tells you which ones you've read before.

Or, you could sign up for topic reply notifications. On my email program, I made a separate folder just for frihost reply notifications, and a sorting rule that automatically puts all frihost emails in that folder.
So, effectively, in my email, I have a list of all frihost threads that I've posted in which have new replies.

Would a different icon be easier? Yes, but for now, that's what I use on the occasions when memory fails me.
IceCreamTruck
ocalhoun wrote:
Or, you could sign up for topic reply notifications. On my email program, I made a separate folder just for frihost reply notifications, and a sorting rule that automatically puts all frihost emails in that folder.
So, effectively, in my email, I have a list of all frihost threads that I've posted in which have new replies.

This seems to be the popular, "default", method for checking up on frihost. I use my emails to remind me where I need to go back and chat with people, and I head off in the forums to post in new places that, if I get responses or it's an active topic, will eventually appear in my email box.

I can't imagine not using email to manage my frihost interactions.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I can't imagine using e-mail, sort of takes the fun out of it though doesn't it? For me I like to go into the Forums I visit, like through the front door, and get a big picture view to see who are posting for the day. I'd see "AlaskaCameraDude" for example in the Politics forum, and then really get excited, as he has some great insights that make me think usually, and he does not post that often. Or see Handfleisch posting, and have to see what he has been up to. I do get e-mails, but just delete them when I see them. By the way, why am I getting the e-mails, as I have not ticked a box anywhere in my profile for receiving e-mails? Question
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I can't imagine using e-mail, sort of takes the fun out of it though doesn't it? For me I like to go into the Forums I visit, like through the front door, and get a big picture view to see who are posting for the day. I'd see "AlaskaCameraDude" for example in the Politics forum, and then really get excited, as he has some great insights that make me think usually, and he does not post that often. Or see Handfleisch posting, and have to see what he has been up to. I do get e-mails, but just delete them when I see them. By the way, why am I getting the e-mails, as I have not ticked a box anywhere in my profile for receiving e-mails? Question

You check the box every time you submit a message by default. Look down when posting

"Notify me when a reply is posted" is checked on this very post. Just letting you know... the only other way would be to remove your email from the account which is not advised.

I do both... walk in the "front door" of forums and read my emails for replies. I'd miss the replies without email, but new cool things are always fun to look for in frihost forums.
Insanity
I don't think these forums have changed in a long time??
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
You check the box every time you submit a message by default. Look down when posting
"Notify me when a reply is posted" is checked on this very post. Just letting you know... the only other way would be to remove your email from the account which is not advised.
Ahaaa .... Idea so simple ..... great to have this all illuminated for me. Very Happy

IceCreamTruck wrote:
I do both... walk in the "front door" of forums and read my emails for replies. I'd miss the replies without email, but new cool things are always fun to look for in frihost forums.
Now that is called thorough. Maybe I should do it too, as I'm always for fun, and I understand now where you are going with this.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Ahaaa .... Idea so simple ..... great to have this all illuminated for me. Very Happy

IceCreamTruck wrote:
Now that is called thorough. Maybe I should do it too, as I'm always for fun, and I understand now where you are going with this.

See, now I wouldn't have gotten this excellent response if I didn't constantly check email. I make most communications run through email, so my phone even lets me know that you guys are posting even if the little keyboard on that phone won't let me respond that well. I type... a lot! ... phone keyboard no worky, but I like the reminders and instant response notifications.

BTW, you're too funny, Dean. I'm glad there are people like you on Frihost!

PS. this is post 551! Wow, how time flies!
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
BTW, you're too funny, Dean. I'm glad there are people like you on Frihost!
Embarassed thanks ICT, seeing that Frihost means so much to me, this is a triple compliment to me! Life is on the up and up here, and I notice so are the number of your postings .... he, he .... at least they are quality ones too, and I'm learning and laughing at the same time, that also makes me very happy. Twisted Evil
ankitdatashn
With passage of time you will get more adapted,
The forums will appear a lot more guided,
Just practice frihost for some more days,
And your problem will be fine... Smile